“Good solid food”

Ranked #594 of 2,358 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Irish, Steakhouse
“Good solid food”
Reviewed 26 April 2013 via mobile

The food was really great for the price. Had a dated feel but it was a fun dated and the staff was fantastic!

• Visited April 2013

ft mitchell, ky
“Good food, excellent service, and a comfortable atmosphere”
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We had attended, all day Saturday, the Indy Outdoor sports show and were looking for a place for a full meal before going and checking in at our hotel. I will always look for an independent restaurant over a chain, so that's what I went looking for on the web before we went on our journey to Indy.

I found Murphy's Steak House on the web and it seemed just what I was looking for and only 3 or 4 blocks from the Fairgrounds.

It turned out fine for our needs. Good food, excellent service, and a comfortable atmosphere.

All their meals come with soup, salad and choice of potato. We both had onion soup, house salad and twice baked potato. The soup was a thin version in a cup with 4 or 5 croutons floating on the top. It came with a shaker of Parmesan to add to the croutons. While this presentation would have seemed meager if that would have been the main focus of our meal, it turned out fine in view of the amount of food we were about to consume. As well, the hot soup was very satisfying since we arrived from the blustery 20 degree weather out side.

The salad we chose was mixed lettuce topped with a hot dressing of bacon, vinegar and oil, which resulted in a savory wilted lettuce texture with robust flavor.

Our potato selection came with our choice of entree, my wife had a petite filet and I had the make your own turf and surf for which I chose rib eye and their fried lobster ($21.95). I had not seen fried lobster offered anywhere except for Boothbay Harbor, ME. This version was excellent served with drawn butter. The steaks were cooked as ordered, my wife loved hers and I have had better ribeye.

The steaks came with a choice of Bearnaise or mushroom sauce and the serving was accompanied with a portion of grilled seasoned bread.

I had a coupon from the restaurant's website for a free desert of blackberry cobbler a la mode. I am not a big fan of blackberries because their seeds but the flavor was excellent the pastry was fine and the ice cream seemed particularly flavorful.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank leccvg
toronto
“an old-time gem”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

as a youth, i must have driven by this place a thousand times but never tried it. on my last visit to indy i went there for lunch. a bit dowdy but the food was great, and for the low price, just amazing! the steak was tender, and my fish superb. service is great. i recommend it highly.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank dt400blows
Indiana
“Great local restaurant with retro feel!”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Murphy's is a great local steakhouse. They have a large menu, with good value. You get a lot of food for the money. The food is very well prepared, and served by a wait staff loaded with personality. They usually have a daily special to go along with the regular menu offerings. And, they have a full bar.
If you are from the central Indiana area and have not dined at Murphy's, you should check it out. There are so many chain restaurants in this area it is nice to frequent a locally owned establishment.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank trlett
Fishers, Indiana
“Like the steakhouses of old”
Reviewed 10 January 2012

This place is like the old steakhouses I remember as a kid.Food is not great but good. Service is good. They still bring you a basket of crackers with your salad.

1 Thank SmokiesJunkie