“uninspired italian cuisine”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Indianapolis
“uninspired italian cuisine”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

this place used to be well above average as a unique Italian restaurant in Indianapolis. it is still housed in a quaint, cozy, albeit slightly rundown house near the downtown area, but the menu offerings have not remained up to par. the marinara sauce on the pasta side tasted like thickened ketchup. the bruschetta had a spoiled "tang" to it. and the chicken gorgonzola was dry and tired. i wish i could say more re this restaurant because i love these types of places but the food has to be worthy and it isn't anymore. the pasta ala caruso used to be a menu highlight and it has now been removed from the offering. all in all, very uninspired dining.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Boilermaker_Indy

Avon, Indiana
“not your same old same old italian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

We have been going here for almost 30 years. This is the one Italian restaurant in Indy that is not "trendy" and as an Italian-American, I can get some of real food (that I don't cook at home). The atmosphere is qauint and pleasant and the service is always good. My wife said "it is like going home.

• Visited February 2013
Plainfield, Indiana
“Wonderful dinner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

I was hesitant after reading some of the reviews. I am so glad I gave it a shot! Dinner was fabulous! The prices were a little higher than others but not outrageous. I had the chicken Botticelli. I would highly recommend it! My husband had sausage linguine and also thought it was delicious. The waitress was friendly and attentive. We will definitely go back!

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Authentic Italian in a historic district”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

I have reviewed Amicis before, and I won't repeat myself. However, we have eaten there several times since my last review, and I continue to be amazed by those who claim that 1. the building is run down or dirty; 2. the service is terrible (or that "they don't care if you come back"), 3. the prices are too high, or 4. that the food is terrible. As regular customers, we go back on a regular basis because we have found NONE of those criticisms to be true. The building is 150 years old, and it shows; however, it has ALWAYS been clean. As I said in another review, if historic buildings are not for you, please do not go. There are plenty of pseudo-Italian restaurants with fake Roman ruins in brand new buildings. As for service, it has always been exceptional. Even after my first visit, years ago, they greeted me by name at the door! I haven't gotten that kind of personal treatment anywhere else in Indy. The prices are a bit higher than some of the competition, but they always have discounts available, making them very competitive . Contrary to the critics, I have found the food to be delicious. The owner is Italian, and his interpretation is different from that of the chains. That's a big plus for those of us who prefer creative chefs rather than boilerplate. One reviewer claimed that there was an "overpowering taste of cinnamon" in every entree. I beg to differ. There is a subtle taste of cinnamon in one dish that I know of, but that relates to my point about creativity. It's very simple: don't go there if you want a new building and a standardized menu. But if you value great service and the ambiance of a historic building in a historic neighborhood, this is for you. Just don't criticize Amici's for not being something that a. they do not claim to be, and b. they have no desire to be. Their regular customers agree wholeheartedly!

• Visited September 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Would Not Go Back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

We had been to Amici's several years ago and decided since it was a Groupon we would give it another shot. Big mistake. The place is extremely dirty. I understand what ambiance is, but this is pure neglect. Our food was not good. There were four of us and we had different entrees. There was an overpowering taste of cinnamon, which I am very fond of, just not in my Italian entree! We were a bit concerned that the table next to us who had 8 people did not eat the majority of their food. They also had an issue at the table that apparently did not get resolved by the manager, as they left very unhappy. We expressed our dislike of the weird combination of cinnamon in all entrees (almost like hiding/disguising something!) but the response from our server let us know that they really didn't care whether we like it or not.
DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR YOUR MONEY!!!

• Visited August 2012