“Come on, clean the table, really!”

Illinois Street Food Emporium
Ranked #8 of 29 Bakeries in Indianapolis
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Delicatessen
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout
Indiana
“Come on, clean the table, really!”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I have always enjoyed the food at the Illinois Street Food Emporium. Today, several friends and I met up to have coffee and pastry. Originally, we thought we'd do carryout but realized there was no outdoor space where we could sit. So, we stayed inside.

I was initially disappointed that the staff did not check on us, especially to see if we wanted refills on our drinks. Seems it happens if you order a mug/glass/cup but not if you order a paper cup. We were told (at the counter while ordering) that refills would be a $1 each, payable when ordering. Now, what would happen if I did not get a refill but paid for it?

The seating arrangement (of the quaint old school wooden chairs) was quite crowded. I could not move my chair without bumping into another person, let alone navigate the floor space when I went to leave. My suggestion would be to have bench seating against the wall/windows. Saves space, etc.

Staff was quick to cleanup BUT the young clerk used an "old" towel that she used on the chairs AND tabletops of several tables. She did not even lift up the condiments holder nor the flower vase on each table, preferring to "push" the dirt around these items.

Hopefully, the ISFE will correct this simple problems in the near future. I miss the excellence of this spot and will end up moving across the street to Starbucks should it not happen.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank MommiKake

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Good Bakery with decent sandwiches”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

This restaurant has a very nice bakery with really good fresh bread. The cakes by the slice are very hard to resist. This is a nice place to have lunch or breakfast. Be prepared for a wait or a little madness to find a place to sit. Nice deli type food.

• Visited February 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great atmosphere and awesome food.”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

The food is wonderful, dine in, carry out or buy from the freezer. Huge menu and fresh food always served up with a smile! The bakery items are so beautiful and fresh too!

Fishers, Indiana
“Great for sandwiches”
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Great place to get a sandwich. has a lot of quaintness and is a Indy landmark.

1 Thank SmokiesJunkie
“Best frosted sugar cookie and carrot cake in the world!”
Reviewed 22 February 2011

OMG. I had these when I was growing up and it became a family tradition everytime we came to Indy. We come all the way from Minnesota and now have to buy extras to take home with us because friends and family have grown to love the cookie and carrot cake. It is always nice to run into Sue's smiling face as well.