“Food trip”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Berkley, Michigan
“Food trip”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We went here after seeing it on the Food Network. The food was very good. The variety was extensive. You could pretty much get just about anything you wanted, from sandwiches, to hot meals, to desserts. The peppered beef sandwich was piled high and delicious. One of the best deli sandwiches I’ve ever had.

• Visited June 2014

Indianapolis, Indiana
“AN INDIANAPOLIS INSTITUTION”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is an updated local deli that has been in Indy for close to a hundred years. It is a bit south of the downtown and not far from Lucas Oil Stadium. They have the best corned beef sandwiches ever. I had some rhubarb pie that was as good as Mom ever made.
The only drawback is that they don't have beer or wine; just soft drinks and great ice tea.
Everyone visiting downtown Indy should visit this fine place.

• Visited July 2014
“Good stuff but pricey...”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

As a deli aficionado, I have to say that Shapiro's is right up there in the deli world. The pastrami is succulent and well balanced (i.e., not too salty or peppery), the sandwiches robust and tasty, and the matzo ball soup is pretty darn good. The stuffed cabbage good, too--perhaps a bit too sweet but tender and satisfying. Expect to spend $50-$60 (including drinks and a big slice of cake) to feed four adults. That's a little steep for a cafeteria-style outfit but the quality is there and the "hectic Jewish deli" experience is worth the premium.

• Visited July 2014
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“What a Surprise a Good Deli in Indianapolis”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I remember visiting a good and very large deli in Indianapolis when I was a students at Indiana University and liking it, but that was way back in the 70es and I did not know if it would still be there. I didn't remember its name or much else about it, so I looked on Trip Adviser and found it. My wife and I were visiting and had had several wonderful heavy, expensive dinners and were ready for a good casual lunch before we left town. This was it, much better than we expected. It wasn't cheep but the sandwiches were huge and the pastrami as good as Mani's in Chicago. The bread was thick and I thought it would take away from the taste of the meat, but it was perfect. Usually when you get an overloaded sandwich it falls apart after a few bits, this bread was able to hold it together. We got here at 11:30 am and the line was already very long, but it moved quickly and the people behind the counter were very helpful. I also have to say I like the clientele. Now-a-days I am so used to going to places and the people are dressed like slobs; not here, perhaps they had all just come from the office.

• Visited June 2014
Canton, Ohio
“Deli heaven”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We were passing through Indianapolis and stopped here for lunch on the recommendation of our 22 year old son, who had stopped here on a previous road trip of his own. It's very convenient from the highway. Hungry young men know a good thing when they taste it! Cafeteria style food line with choices from breakfast through dessert. We were there at 1:00 on a Monday and there was no line, but I bet that is not always the case. Large seat yourself dining room. Between us we had sandwiches (you can get a whole or a half), mac-n-cheese and Matzo ball soup. All were very good. The desserts looked awesome, but I couldn't afford the calories this time.

Visited June 2014