“Finally - NOT a chain”

Cuisines: American, Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Plenty of parking and good Greek food selection. Liked the big Gyros plate and very friendly service.

1  Thank J S U S

Reviewed 29 March 2013

Hellas Cafe is by far the best Greek food in Indianapolis. Probably the best I've had counting a number of other cities as well. The food here is simply fantastic. It's a family-owned and run place that has been around for several decades. It's not fancy, or a place to take a business client, but just a place to get first-rate delicious Greek food. Wonderful appetizers, amazing entress, and sampler platters where you can get a number of different entrees in small sampling sizes. GREAT for vegetarians as they have a vegetarian mousakka and a vegetarian pasticios. Go once, and you're sure to go back. Decent wine selection too.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

We had not been to Hella's Cafe in a couple of years and decided to try it recently. They painted the exterior and redecorated the interior, the decor gave a very good impression. I ordered the Lamb Kabob and the lamb was tough and didn't taste like lamb. There was ample food on the plate including green beans, rice and a potato wedge. The wait staff was attentive and the iced tea was very good. I'd go back but won't order the Lamb Kabob.

1  Thank LALTraveler
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Hellas Greek Café- subtly pleasant ambiance with an understated homey feeling. A sparkling clean café nestled in an Indianapolis strip mall, clearly awash in white and Grecian blue. Service staff members were friendly, efficient and attentive. It may seem surprising to review the table and dinnerware, but these days details like fresh flowers on the table, sparkling glasses and spotless china can vanish in a flash with some new menu craze. Not here at Hellas, everything on the table was perfectly “just so.” We celebrated our wedding anniversary and enjoyed a well-served, well-timed home-cooked, authentic Greek meal. We started with the Saganaki (flaming, grilled goat cheese served with warm fresh pita bread) and a bottle of fruity, dry red wine— Ymnos. One of us had the Tyropita with 3 traditional Greek sides and the other had the Vegetarian Combo Platter with Dolmatha, Pastichio, Mousaka, Spanakopita & Tyropita. The filo pies were crispy and filled with fresh cheeses and spinach, the eggplant was creamy and well-spiced, the tomato-green beans, potatoes and rice side dishes were typically seasoned with mild Greek herbs. The Greek salads were fresh and artfully prepared. The only disappointment was our dessert- a chocolate mousse cake, which, when fresh, might have been tasty. We took dessert home to the rest of the family, and the baklava, of course, was nutty, sweet and satisfying. We will be back!! And we will send our friends in the meantime!

1  Thank MidwestTravelgrl
Reviewed 27 April 2012

My spouse and I visited this restaurant because it was participating in the "Dining out for Life" promotion to benefit AIDS service foundations.
It is one my spouse's pet peeves when a greeter attempts to seat you by the bathroom or kitchen when the restaurant is nowhere near to full capacity. My pet peeve is being seated by the doorway when it's cold outside. The greeter here started to walk us to a table by the bathroom and when my spouse shook his head she then sat us by the door. I elected to stay there rather than be a bother. We did get several blasts of cold air when the door opened that caused us to clutch our paper napkins to keep them from blowing off the table.
The waitstaff consisted of college aged young women who had the look of deer in headlights. I had to repeat my drink order and correct my part of my food order when our server read it back to me. My water was not refiled until we were through with our meal. They were not unpleasant, they just seemed inexperienced.
My spouse ordered the chicken skewer which was supposed to have been marinated but seemed pretty tasteless to both of us. The egglemon soup and the pastichio I ordered were both good and I would have been satisfied with just these two items. The side green beans were cooked to within an inch of their life and I would be surprised if there were any nutrients left in them. The potatoes and salad were not exceptional but edible.
The venue is on the small side and the decor is meant to invoke the whitewashed Grecian architecture with accents of blue. Grecian knick knacks are scattered throughout.
Overall this is an acceptable choice if you decide on the spur of the moment that you want to go out for casual Greek food. I wouldn't plan this as a destination for any kind of event dining. They do offer belly dancing entertainment on weekends but there is no separate space for the performer so she has to weave in and out of the tables which makes for kind of an awkward experience.