“Free Beer!”

Sun King Brewing Company
Ranked #41 of 173 things to do in Indianapolis
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Sun King is a production brewing facility serving bars, restaurants, liquor stores, caterers and sports and entertainment venues across Indiana. The brewery is open to the public for carryout growler, can, and keg sales, and hosts complimentary sampling hours on Friday. Sun King offers pint sales and sampling flights Monday – Sunday.
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We were going to be in Indy for the afternoon on a week day, and when I looked at the Sun King Brewery website it looked to me like they opened at 4:00 pm. I was wrong - they open their tasting room at 10:00 am during the week (and at 1:00 pm on Sat), and hold organized tasting sessions at 4:00 pm (on Thurdays - other hours on other days). In any case, we arrived what we thought was early at 3:30 pm and were admitted to the tasting room after presenting our ID - remember to bring yours, they card everyone. Small draught samples (2 oz) of each of their regular and seasonal beers were available without charge, and while we enjoyed the samples, we did not stick around for the formal sampling. Staff were friendly and provided lots of interesting and helpful information about each beer.

Bottles and growlers of fresh draught were available for take away purchase along with Sun King branded clothing and other items. No food is available, however. We bought a colorful sticker to put on the back of the car for $3.

Tours are available - call or check their website for details - we plan to return for a tour soon!

There are newer reviews for Sun King Brewing Company

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

If you haven't been to Sun King Brewery, I recommend it. The tour was very informative and it is a good way to sample their beer. You get to try their year round beers, as well as, their seasonal selections. I liked that they sold growlers right at the brewery. I also liked that they only sell to Indiana stores and restaurants pumping money back into our Hoosier economy.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Having never had Sun King beer before, I was pleasantly surprised with my visit to the brewery. With a good selection of their own and very tasty beers, I was treated to a number of friendly smiles and free samples of all of their current beers on tap. Unfortunately, due to the liquor laws in Indianapolis, they can't serve a full pint--and don't have any food on site. However, it's easy to overlook those flaws due to their amazing beer.

Go out of your way to visit here if you're in downtown Indianapolis. While you'll see their beers on tap all throughout downtown, you likely won't see them /all/ in one place.

1  Thank Frank C
Reviewed 7 June 2014

An award winning operation in the heart of Indianapolis, Sun King Brewery is a great place to visit for some afternoon or early evening relaxation surrounded by craft beer lovers and brewing experts. The company gained national attention in 2011 when it took home 8 medals at the Great American Beer Festival and was suddenly thrust into the spotlight. This grabbed my attention as well and convinced me that a visit was certainly on my list of things to do in the immediate future.

I finally made it to Sun King Brewery in the summer of 2013 and I was impressed by what I saw. The beer was fresh and delicious and I was even given a private tour of the facility. Sun King hands out tokens to all adults who enter the brewery and these free tokens can be traded for samples of beer. One important thing to note is that no one under 21 is allowed to even enter the tasting room, much less drink anything. That means, of course, that if you have kids you will have to leave them with an adult in the waiting area as they cannot enter the tasting room due to Indiana state law.

Speaking of the tasting room, it is very large- one of the largest I have ever seen- and it’s evident that Sun King Brewing does all it can to cater to the needs of its loyal fans. The tasting room is open every day of the week except Sunday so it’s very convenient. Guests can taste some delicious beer of their choosing, then purchase cans, kegs, and growler fills to go. Tours are offered on Thursdays and Sundays only, but these days/hours are subject to change at any time so always contact the brewery first, before you visit.

With its award- winning beer lineup, enthusiastic staff and crew, and close proximity to downtown Indianapolis, Sun King Brewery is a place all craft beer lovers should try to see. My only regret is that the beer isn’t sold in my home state. It might be one day, but until then I will have to live with my vivid memories of this fine Indiana brewery. Pay a visit, if you get the chance.

1  Thank Bryan_Carey
Reviewed 20 April 2014

No entry fee--just show your driver's license. In return, you receive some tickets and tokens that wallow you to sample their beer staples and seasonal/experimental offerings. The brewers and enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Best part? Every Friday, you can get your growler refilled for $5.