“An Interesting Place”

Cuisines: German
Columbus, Ohio
“An Interesting Place”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This is much more than a restaurant. It's a small German supermarket. It's has German gifts and magazines and videos. It's kitschy. It's a bakery. It's a small cafe. It's a small restaurant. All in one building. We originally found this place through German Life magazine many years ago, and we usually drop by when we are in Indianapolis. This trip we just wanted dessert and coffee. The coffee is more to German standards, which I happen to prefer, having lived in Germany as a student. The desserts were excellent as always--a multilayered chocolate cake for my wife and blackraspberry strudel for me. We've also eaten from the regualr menu--which as others have noted is mostly sausage. They do serve currywurst--a now ubiquitous fast food item in Germany (originally from Berlin). The breads are, of course, really good too. We also picked up some items in the supermarket section so we can make our own German food at home. These items, as imports, are pricey. This place is family owned and run--and you will sometimes hear German spoken by the diners. We'll be back, as usual, the next time we are in Indianapolis.

• Visited May 2014

Cincinnati
“Excellent Destination for German Learners”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We saw this bakery on the Food Network a long time ago and have been meaning to make the drive for several years. We went last Sunday. I had a pastry and coffee, and my husband got a sausage with German potato salad. I liked his better than mine - German pastries aren't really my thing, but since it was a bakery, I wanted to try one. This would be an excellent destination for a German class or someone who studied German. There was at least one German employee, several German customers, and the owner was on-site (always a good sign).

• Visited December 2013
indianapolis
“Kind of overhyped”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Nice place for expensive$$$ deserts, cookies, etc. good place for your wedding or special occasion cakes. Small menu for inside dining, which is okay of you like sausages! The service is generally slow. the gift part of the place is only partial authentic German--mostly "made in China"

• Visited August 2013
“Yup, it's very German.”
Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

I discovered this place several months ago and will go there for lunch and bakery goods every time I am in Indy ( once or twice a month). I grew up with German grandparents in a community filled with German immigrants, and this place is the real deal. It brings back childhood memories. It's wonderful. The weisswurst is awesome.

1 Thank SquireofGlenhall
“In forty plus years, never a disappointment!”
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I first startied getting goodies from the Heidelberg as a young child because my great aunt and uncle lived in Indy near there and would get sweet treats from there for family gatherings. Later, as an adult I moved to Indy and started dining there on my own and also taking advantage of their marvelous baked goods for my own personal entertaining. I have often purchased unique food items and gifts from the shop. Over the years I have taken many friends there to accquaint them with the Heidelberg Haus and none were ever disapointed with the food and charm of the place after hearing me rave about it before hand. I believe this is truly one of the gems Indianapolis has to offer! Whether you are visiting Indianapolis or live here, I suggest a trip to experience all the the Heidelberg has to offer.

• Visited December 2012