“Motel in disrepair”
Review of Shadeland Inn

Shadeland Inn
Ranked #157 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I've recently started booking motels, and will now start paying attention to reviews. In reading reviews dating back 7 years, I found th1at the Rodeway still has the same problems(except for bugs...didn't see any). As of August 2013, the front doors to the lobby are still in disrepair, the lobby still has no air conditioning, and the attached restaurant is still closed.
I stayed for 1 night in room 104 for a visit to the Indiana State Fair. The room was large, but quite dark once the sun went down, as there were only 3 working light fixtures with CFL bulbs. The carpet was dark and apparently clean, but showed wear and tear. I was nervous about walking around with bare feet.
AC outlets in the room were a shortage. The only one I could find for plugging in a laptop was behind the TV, which was already overloaded. I didn't check the TV since I just watched a Netflix movie before going to bed.
The sheets were clean and the bed comfortable. The shower worked, but there were signs of emergency repairs in the walls, not to mention the toilet making noise all night.
No coffee maker, no iron, the corridors are interior, not exterior(which I read online), but the refrigerator was in working order. Like most motels, the air-conditioning unit is very noisy. Not conducive to getting a good night's sleep.
Front desk staff were friendly and were happy to give me another key when I left mine in the room.
Overall, I don't recommend staying here, unless you are really really on a tight budget. Next time, I will spend a few extra bucks on other options.

Room Tip: The front rooms are very close to Shadeland Ave traffic, which is louder than the air-conditioning.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Greg A
rodewayinnindianapol, Webmaster at Shadeland Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this review from nearly a year ago. In the time since this feedback, we have used your comments and others to help us improve. We’re now a better, cleaner, safer place than ever before and satisfying hundreds of guests every month. If your travels bring you this way again, I hope you will try us again. We’re enjoying having you with us again.

Hotel Manager.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

This place is the nastiest place ever! How ridiculous. Such liars when it comes to renting the room online! Nothing is correct there was no pool due to not working! the lights did not work floor disgusting toilet coming up off the floor. This was suppose to be a romantic night for us and it was washed down the drain as soon as we entered the room! Never come to this place!!! Beware!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank pdof

Dear Guest,

Thanks you for these comments from last year. I’m sorry that we failed to meet your expectations. You can be sure that these comments were taken into consideration during our recent refreshing and improvement efforts and we believe our property is now better than ever before. If your travels bring you this way again, we challenge you to try us again and see how we’ve changed.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Stayed with my family on June 28, 2013. Heard gunshots outside. Asked for my money back and ran away fast. This is a dangerous neighborhood. AVOID at all costs. Room was a mess as well. I checked Yelp first and came to Trip Advisor to write my review. I am also a Choice Hotels Rewards member and thats how I saw this motel God have mercy on future customers.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank uadeeb

Dear Guest,

Thanks for these comments from nearly a year ago. We’re located in a safe, friendly neighborhood and always have been. It has even improved in the last several months. I’m sorry that you mistook some kind of nearby sound for something worse and chose to leave. That’s your decision. We’ve improved our property in many ways, however, and would welcome a return visit from you if you so choose.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

The first room we tried to get was absolutely disgusting...smelled of urine and human feces. I complained and then got switched to another room. While entering the second room a man was exiting the room with a bottle of frebreze in his hand still spraying. The room still smelled..the room had only 1 small pillow and no fitted sheet. A horrible experience!!! The staff were rude and not accommodating... NEVER stay there, that's my only advice!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Timbo654

Dear Guest,

While you left these comments more than a year ago, I wanted to let you know that they were used as part of our continuous improvement efforts that have helped us significantly improve this property. I sincerely apologize that we fell short of your expectations and hope you will try our improved hotel whenever you’re in town again.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

Wow....I used to work at a hotel and this is a bad one...we moved 3 times to get a room clean enough....plus on our honeymoon...poor front desk lady only been there a short time...also no one told us the pool was closed big bummer. It will do...not very happy...good thing we won't be in the room long!

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank abschmitt

Dear Guest,

Although you commented more than a year ago, I want to make sure you understand that we read your comments at the time and used them in our continuous improvement efforts. Since the time of your stay, every aspect of this property has been reviewed and improved. Still, I’m sorry we fell short of your expectations so many months ago and hope you will try us again to see how we’ve changed and improved.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

Very disappointed. Rooms are old. Indoor pool is closed. Breakfast is pastry(not very fresh) , coffee and apple juice.No coffee maker in room. No business center. No ice machine. uncomfortable beds. Had to wait 20 min at 3:00pm to get checked in.

Room Tip: pool side is nice but old if the pool was open
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank momtoeleven

Dear Guest,

I appreciate these comments from early last year. I can assure you that we have used these and other comments in our efforts to significantly improve and enhance this property. I hope you will visit us again to see how we’re better than ever. I sincerely apologize that we fell short of your expectations all those months ago.

Reviewed 13 November 2012

Jesus take the wheel! I was in town visiting my 2 yr old granddaughter and thought this looked like a nice place by the internet pics. First of all the front doors were rickety and didn't open well. The desk staff was rude and never smiled or greeted guests. The room we got was 129. The smell from the bathroom was horrific and all night we had to keep the door shut. The tub/floor were dirty. Had jets in the tub that didn't work. The blankets had holes in it. The fixtures were rusty and broken. The heating unit had a large blanket stuffed in it. There was so much dust behind and around the bed. We found 2 roaches. They advertised HBO but we only had 3 channels. None HBO. The pool was dirty and ice cold.There was a menu in the room for room service. The prices were outrageous 6.50 for a baked potato. 3.50 to package the food! Really? I went to get a cup of coffee in the lobby and was told that it was for breakfast. It was 9 pm! The next morning the coffee i couldn't get the night before was almost water. The continental breakfast consisted of dry muffins. And literally there was about 10 for the whole motel. The muffins ran out at about 8 am and they never put anymore out, even though it ended at 10 am. Before my family and I stayed here again I would sleep under a bridge!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Ernestine w

Dear Guest,

Although we did not respond to this comment in 2012, I’m writing to let you know that this feedback was used as part of our continuous improvement efforts. This property has been significantly enhanced and improved since you stay, and I sincerely apologize that we fell short of your expectations at that time. I hope you will try us again and see how we’re getting better every day.