“I work for choice hotels and I am absolutly ashamed to have this place has a chain of our hotels”
Review of Shadeland Inn

Shadeland Inn
Ranked #158 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Place is so dirty and not well kept, but what got me the most is how unprofessional the night auditor was!!! He had such a bad attitude I even said to cancel my reservation cause I didn't care for his attitude. After I said that he immediately worked on my reservation faster and made sure I stayed, so I did. He cursed at least 10 times out of frustration, yet it's his job to serve the guests well. Lets just say I would get fired if I EVER EVER talked to my guests this way. This place need to be OUT OF BUSINESS ASAP!!! I work for choice hotels and I just can't believe this place is associated with our hotel

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank John T
rodewayinnindianapol, Webmaster at Shadeland Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We’re proud to be a Choice Hotel and strive to live up to the company’s high standards every day. We take pride in the cleanliness and quality of our accommodations, too, but I’m sincerely sorry that you were not satisfied. While we satisfy hundreds of guests each month, I respect your decision to stay elsewhere. Please understand that we’re constantly evaluating and improving, so we get better every day.

There are newer reviews for Shadeland Inn

Reviewed 24 March 2014

This has to be by far the nastiest and unkempt hotel I have ever seen! There were stains on everything...The shower curtain, chairs, wall and bed spread. Some of the staff was very rude.... Not to mention the power outlets have electrical burns and a prong was stuck in a ground plug outlet. Nothing that is claimed in the description online is accurate. No coffee maker, or WIFI, the pool is drained and wouldn't be maintained if it was. These owners care nothing about the appearance of the rooms or the comfort of the guests. I would sleep in my car before EVER stepping foot in that disgrace ever again!!

Room Tip: Run far away from this place!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Adiqna7722

Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for the comments. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your needs during this stay. While we satisfy dozens of guests every week, we clearly did not satisfy you and respect your decision not to return. Please take into account, however, that we have made significant improvements and changes in the weeks since your stay and would happily welcome you again. We’re better than ever now.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Through some offer from Choice Hotels I spent three nights there for $95 including tax and got about that much value, including tax. The place was under other brands before and now is a warehouse-like dump in dire need of renovation, but probably safer than it looks at first blush. The lobby too often has loud, sleazy-looking characters, and police and even paramedics are no strangers. But no one bothered me and the staff (what there is of one) seems to try. This place once had a pool, restaurant and business center, all shut down of course. My room could have been better, but honestly I have seen much worse at this level.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Quaker0ats

Dear Guest,

I appreciate your comments. I sincerely apologize that we did not exceed your expectations. We take pride in the property and do what we can to maintain clean, comfortable and pleasant accommodations in a safe and friendly environment. Many guests are completely satisfied, and while I’m pleased that you had a decent stay, I’m truly sorry that you were not more impressed. We improve all the time, so please try us again.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

I've recently started booking motels, and will now start paying attention to reviews. In reading reviews dating back 7 years, I found th1at the Rodeway still has the same problems(except for bugs...didn't see any). As of August 2013, the front doors to the lobby are still in disrepair, the lobby still has no air conditioning, and the attached restaurant is still closed.
I stayed for 1 night in room 104 for a visit to the Indiana State Fair. The room was large, but quite dark once the sun went down, as there were only 3 working light fixtures with CFL bulbs. The carpet was dark and apparently clean, but showed wear and tear. I was nervous about walking around with bare feet.
AC outlets in the room were a shortage. The only one I could find for plugging in a laptop was behind the TV, which was already overloaded. I didn't check the TV since I just watched a Netflix movie before going to bed.
The sheets were clean and the bed comfortable. The shower worked, but there were signs of emergency repairs in the walls, not to mention the toilet making noise all night.
No coffee maker, no iron, the corridors are interior, not exterior(which I read online), but the refrigerator was in working order. Like most motels, the air-conditioning unit is very noisy. Not conducive to getting a good night's sleep.
Front desk staff were friendly and were happy to give me another key when I left mine in the room.
Overall, I don't recommend staying here, unless you are really really on a tight budget. Next time, I will spend a few extra bucks on other options.

Room Tip: The front rooms are very close to Shadeland Ave traffic, which is louder than the air-conditioning.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Greg A

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this review from nearly a year ago. In the time since this feedback, we have used your comments and others to help us improve. We’re now a better, cleaner, safer place than ever before and satisfying hundreds of guests every month. If your travels bring you this way again, I hope you will try us again. We’re enjoying having you with us again.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

This place is the nastiest place ever! How ridiculous. Such liars when it comes to renting the room online! Nothing is correct there was no pool due to not working! the lights did not work floor disgusting toilet coming up off the floor. This was suppose to be a romantic night for us and it was washed down the drain as soon as we entered the room! Never come to this place!!! Beware!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank pdof

Dear Guest,

Thanks you for these comments from last year. I’m sorry that we failed to meet your expectations. You can be sure that these comments were taken into consideration during our recent refreshing and improvement efforts and we believe our property is now better than ever before. If your travels bring you this way again, we challenge you to try us again and see how we’ve changed.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Stayed with my family on June 28, 2013. Heard gunshots outside. Asked for my money back and ran away fast. This is a dangerous neighborhood. AVOID at all costs. Room was a mess as well. I checked Yelp first and came to Trip Advisor to write my review. I am also a Choice Hotels Rewards member and thats how I saw this motel God have mercy on future customers.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank uadeeb

Dear Guest,

Thanks for these comments from nearly a year ago. We’re located in a safe, friendly neighborhood and always have been. It has even improved in the last several months. I’m sorry that you mistook some kind of nearby sound for something worse and chose to leave. That’s your decision. We’ve improved our property in many ways, however, and would welcome a return visit from you if you so choose.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

The first room we tried to get was absolutely disgusting...smelled of urine and human feces. I complained and then got switched to another room. While entering the second room a man was exiting the room with a bottle of frebreze in his hand still spraying. The room still smelled..the room had only 1 small pillow and no fitted sheet. A horrible experience!!! The staff were rude and not accommodating... NEVER stay there, that's my only advice!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Timbo654

Dear Guest,

While you left these comments more than a year ago, I wanted to let you know that they were used as part of our continuous improvement efforts that have helped us significantly improve this property. I sincerely apologize that we fell short of your expectations and hope you will try our improved hotel whenever you’re in town again.