“Still a great place to stay - bonus dinner meals included.”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Indianapolis-Downtown
Ranked #10 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Mobile, Alabama
“Still a great place to stay - bonus dinner meals included.”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We really enjoy the huge suites and high 15' ceilings (Floors 1-3). We love the hot breakfast in the morning and complimentary dinner w/ beer and wine in the evening (M-TH); that is so convenient for us because my husband is usually doing his business networking meals during the convention and my son and I are off doing the sites during the day so it is nice to have a meal at dinner and then take a swim.
I think the valet service was a lot better last time we were here - 3 years ago. But, they were still prompt and polite. A bit on the younger immature side as I did see them running and jumping to hit the sign above the door a few times.... they weren't as helpful with directions this time. It is a steep $27 to valet park - but, it is what it is. We tipped a few bucks for pick up and drops each day too.
The front desk was both quite friendly to a bit cool; the younger fellow in the afternoon is not as friendly as the lady in the morning.
There is a lot of noise in this hotel and only having 4 floors you really can't escape it. We stayed on the back side this time and it was noticeably much more quite than the front. It lacked any view however, which was not a concern of ours. We had room 216 and it was a corner room so even more quite and a bit larger too.
The pool is very nice and we had it to ourselves each night. In face we were the only family there during our stay!
The bathrooms need a fan. The elevators can be slow. They ran out of water and cookies in the lobby and never replenished those.
Free USA today paper. Convenient location. Good value.
The kitchen staff (ladies in the evening) were especially nice.

Room Tip: Room 216 is a corner room in back - spacious and more quite than the front rooms. Ugly view and you...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Polish first
Pittsburgh, United States
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The hotel staff, from valet to front desk, were very friendly and very helpful. This was my first time in Indianapolis and they made us feel very welcome. The hotel is in a great location, walking distance to many area attractions. The rooms were very spacious and VERY quiet. Once I heard someone in the hall, but even that was very minimal. The exposed brick and exposed beams in the room added a nice touch to the room. The free breakfast was also nice...more than most other hotels provide. Very clean and just a very nice hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank David B
Indianapolis, United States
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Wife loved it. I loved the high ceilings -- sort of expected trapeze artists to come out above us. Room was nice and quiet except when breakfast was happening on the other side of the door. Wifi was a bit spotty -- and it's annoying to be prompted to choose whether you want "premium" wifi -- but it worked well enough to stream pandora most of the time. Didn't try the TV, who cares about TV. For that matter, who cares about land-line phones in hotel rooms either -- they should just take those things out and stop wasting money on them. The location of this hotel is the best spot downtown if you want to hit up restaurants and nightlife.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Trever F
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I travel a lot for business and will only stay at Hilton properties. This is by far one of the nicest places I’ve stayed for business and from a price point perspective, an excellent value. The front desk staff was very friendly; the rooms were quiet, large, and comfortable. As far as location goes you can’t do any better, as everything downtown from this hotel is walking distance.

Just a quick point about this locations customer service. I was in town during the NCAA Sweet 16 games which I’m sure is a huge week for all hotels. My boss who I was supposed to be traveling with cancelled on me the day we were to arrive at this property. Because of the high demand, they had a 24 hour cancellation policy in effect. I spoke via phone with Mr. Hilliard the General Manager and explained my situation to him. Although one of my rooms was past the 24 hour period, and subject to the full rate, Mr. Hilliard waived the charge and allowed me to cancel without penalty. Understanding his point of view on trying to keep his hotel 100% full during a prime week for occupancy, I certainly appreciated him doing this for me. Based on just that alone I’ll be staying here the next time I’m in town.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Aric B
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We recently had an unexpected change in our reservation. We were looking forward to our stay, and they were extremely helpful in working with us on our reservation. Wanda was extremely friendly and professional, and the General Manager, Eugene, very accommodating to our situation. Their level of customer service is not something experienced these days, and I can't say enough how impressed we were with their follow up. We look forward to another opportunity to stay at the Homewood Suites in Downtown Indianapolis!!!!!!
Thank You!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeff B
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stay in downtown Indy often, but thought we would try a different hotel out. It hasn't been a problem in the past but that was until we tried to stay here.

First Impressions - put off by the lack of parking by valet (which is the only way you can park at this hotel by the way). It was a mad house at check in; we had to drag our luggage 2 blocks to the hotel. Not a great start.

Room - seemed ok at first. Lots of space, but really dated looking on the inside. Did our customary bed bug check and didn't see any thing so I thought I would lay on the bed to test it out. I was there maybe 5 min and I got up to go to the bathroom. I felt something running up my neck. I knocked it off and my wife killed it. All I know is it was bug about the size of a watermelon seed. Called the front desk and they moved us down 2 rooms. Not a good start to our stay at all.

The Pack and Play Incidents - we had a pack and play brought to our room so our daughter could sleep. The maid did not set it up for us, just left it in the middle of the room. I proceeded to unfold and set it up when I noticed a large stain on the bottom of the pack and play; it was also on the mat. It looked like dried baby vomit. I called to get another one, but it had yet another huge stain on the mat. Long story short if you brave this hotel and have a small kid, bring your own place for it to sleep.

The long night - well my wife was freaked out that the hotel had bugs and couldn't sleep. My kid was taking up 1 bed and I braved the other. Halfway through the night my wife tried the bed b/c she was just wore out. It ended up being me, my wife and my 6 year old son in 1 queen bed; needless to say no one got much rest.

The breakfast - not really that great, but I guess I wasn't expecting much after the rest of the hotel pretty much let me down.

The manager - of course she stated that it wasn't a bed bug and they have never had an issue with bed bugs before since the hotel opened. She offered me a measly 1/2 off my bill which hardly seemed fair for what I had gone through at her hotel. So much for the Hilton 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.

Summary - in my opinion there are much better options in the area. The Embassy Suites is probably in the same class as this hotel so I would suggest staying there instead of this hotel. This hotel let me down from the moment I got there. I will not be back. The only reason they get a 2 instead of 1 rating is they "tried" to make it better; they did not make it better for me at all.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
hwsplainfield, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Indianapolis-Downtown, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Homewood Suites Indianapolis Downtown Hotel; your home away from home.

Please accept my deepest apology for the experience that you and your family had recently at our hotel. This is not consistent with the level of service and amenity offerings that we've become known for. I met with my team moments ago and shared your feedback with them. We will use this opportunity to refocus our attention, so that we may prevent this from happening in the future. Should your travels bring you back to the Indianapolis area, we would honored to have the opportunity to regain your confidence.

Eugene Hilliard CHA
Livonia, United States
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Decent hotel, however if you end up in a 1st floor suite, be ready for noise and lots of it. The walls on the 1st fl are paper thin. The room was pretty dirty. It looked ok upon quick inspection. A deeper look showed a lot of filth.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely apologize for the level of noise and cleanliness issues that you experienced. In the future, please feel free to contact the front desk, so that we can address your concerns immediately. Our housekeeping team has been notified of the cleanliness issues and will work to improve.

Should your travels bring you back to Indianapolis, we'd be honored to have the opportunity to regain your confidence.

Eugene Hilliard CHA