“Great addition to downtown”
Review of Soupremacy

Soupremacy
Ranked #164 of 2,363 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Soups
Portland, Maine
“Great addition to downtown”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Soupremacy is quite the place if, like me, you are a soup wordshipper and like it as well on a sultry day in July as on a frigid February weekend. This place is like a personal nirvana, served by the cup or bowl and featuring at least a half dozen soups, chips, some salads and more seven days a week.

The current (There are some which we’re told will change and some which won’t.) soups include a lobster bisque to die for, a broccoli & cheddar, lentil, French onion, butternut squash, one called chicken and noodles and they also do Charlie & Barney’s chili recipe, too, if you happen to be a fan of either (Charlie & Barneys or chili) which I’ll confess I’m not in either case.

On my first visit I opted for the lobster bisque and found the bowl a wonderful eat-along to go with a lox and bagel I ordered. The place also has breakfast and I got an apology as I was the first to ask for the lox and bagel at noontime though the happy staff complied without missing a beat. It was delicious.

As far as the main thing they have on offer — soup — it comes in three sizes: a cup ($3.74), a bowl ($5.49) and a BIG bowl ($7.59). I did the middle, found the portion to be great and the presentation, complete with a design in cream decorating the top of the bowl, wonderful. I do wish it were possible to offer real bowls and silverware, but hey, this place only has about a dozen seats and is designed mainly for carry-out, though we found out a little secret: the owner is the same as the Potbelly Sandwich Shop around the corner.

No, Potbelly doesn’t own it, but the franchisee for downtown’s Potbelly does and thus patrons wanting a sandwich or more than Soupremacy has on their menu are invited to grab soup here then cut through Circle Tower’s lobby and get their sandwich and other “fix” at Potbelly!
Speaking of fixing, fix your eyes carefully on the chip counter at Soupremacy. They have some varieties and brands we’ve not spotted before like a wonderful Olive Oil & Rosemary we had made by the down east firm Deep River. Before anyone panics, they have Lays and all the “usuals” too, but why be boring? See? Soupremacy is all that AND a bag of chips!
In fact, with the welcome addition of Soupremacy, Circle Tower’s ground floor is becoming quite the downtown gourmet hot spot. Great sandwiches at Potbelly, all the wonderful soups at Soupremacy and don’t forget some exotic candy (or a softdrink like Ale 81) right there at Rocket Fizz for dessert, too!
All-in-all we’d recommend Soupremacy and urge a visit. Unless, of course, you are like one grump we know who says he hates soup and never will eat it anywhere, ever. What can we say but that his taste is, we feel, where he sits.
Meantime, as Oliver said in the movie of the same name while holding out his bowl to Mr. Bumble, “Please, sir...I want some more!” We guarantee you will, too, at Soupremacy.
P.S. The best is fairly priced but not cheap...lox bagel, the bowl of lobster bisque, chips and a soft drink about $16, but hey was a “fact finding” trip! One can do fine here for a bit less and still come away smiling.

• Visited January 2014