“unprofessional racist”

Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Airport
Ranked #84 of 186 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 25 January 2014

racist people.....loaded with bed bugs from the lobby to the rooms..the staff is more of a gossip club and have attitudes when you are them a question. if you are white than you will be looked down on

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank dirtydaniel
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear dirtydaniel,

Krysllin G.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed just one night as we were passing through on a journey and this was just about midway and conveniently close to the freeway. I’d also checked Google maps and confirmed there was a restaurant (Denny’s) opposite. We didn’t want to drive to dinner after driving all day and because we have wine with dinner.

I was also keen to try the Candlewood after coming direct from Holiday Inn Suites and before that Staybridge Suites, both in O’Fallon, Missouri. All three brands are part of the IHG Group.
First, the welcome at reception was wonderful. So friendly, so helpful. And from the lady I discovered Denny’s had closed and she recommended other restaurants in the area, including The Library which sounded good but said they were too far too walk to.

As we went to our room we saw the large indoor pool and the gym. We later used the gym and also the laundry which was free as was the washing powder. Nice touch.

The room was spotless. We had a two bed suite. Disappointingly the beds weren’t in a separate room, unlike the Staybridge and HI but the beds were comfortable and we slept well. Although neighbouring a freeway, we heard no road noise. The kitchen was equipped and it had a good sized breakfast bar. Internet access - free - was excellent, fast and troublefree.

We drove to the nearest restaurant (Indy’s) and got a takeaway to have in the room with a bottle of wine. As it turned out we could have walked to it and to the Library next door to that, they’re close, but you’d have to cross the exit ramp of a free way and under the freeway and of course there are no sidewalks and the underpass doesn’t look too savoury at night.

So, how did Candlewood compare with Staybridge and HI Suites? I think Candlewood is meant for very long stays, for people to treat more as a rented apartment than a hotel. Unlike the other two, no breakfast is included nor is there a breakfast room. Unlike Staybridge there are no complimentary dinners with wine & beer three nights a week. There is a small shop stocked with foodstuffs, breakfast cereals, coffee & tea bags and heat-up ready meals. Refreshingly this works on an honour system – you fill in a card ticking the prices of the goods you have taken and pop it in a box and they’ll add it to your bill - that’s civilised.

At reception they have a library DVD’s you can borrow to play in your room.

Overall I thought the room was expensive compared with the other brands, but of course the locations are different: this is in proximity to an airport but I reckon that one-night prices steeply drop for the longer stays this place caters to and also for those whose companies have a corporate discount.

Other things being equal (a big ‘if’), of the three brands I’d choose Staybridge first then HI Suites then Candlewood.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This was my first time staying here :) A few wows! I was on the 6th floor a lot of stairs for a great workout. They do have a great gym. Free washer & dryer.It was nice to be able to cook a complete meal in the room. The full size refrigerator with a ice maker.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed at the Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Airport for one night recently, and had a very nice stay. Had a long day full of frustrations, and when we showed up we were tired and frustrated. Staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful, and made sure we had what we needed in a room (our reservation was wrong from Priceline) and made every effort to address all of our needs. The one bedroom suite we were in was clean, comfortable and well equippped. The full kitchen, large bar and seating area and quite large bathroom were all very nice to have. For the price, you can't go wrong for a simple, non-fancy, clean and comfortable hotel in Indianapolis.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I checked in about midnight and the front desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. My stay was pretty short, but everyone I encountered was friendly. Room was clean and met all my needs, as well as the business center and front lobby. I was happy to see they had a Lending Locker with lots of amenities, just wish I could have stayed longer to use them!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Just spent 2 nights there last weekend. I was moving to Indy and needed somewhere to stay not too far from my destination. Now when I am traveling I understand that if you want a decent place to stay you have to be prepared to pay a bit more and I have stayed in hotels all over the country and know which way is up.
However this place is EXTORTIONATE!!
Daylight robbery!!
$184 for 2 nights. I didn't want to buy the place just stay there! To add insult to injury there is NO breakfast and NO room service. You buy your own breakfast and clean your own room. You want the garbage emptied do it yourself!!
Nice staff and a lovely room but I expect a LOT more for $92 a night. It is in a dingy area with zero redeeming qualities so it isn't like they are a jumping off point for Disney World or something. They actually tried to tell me people LIVE there. You could buy a condo for less than that and have change!
Take my advice, if you can do it stop before you get close in to the ring road and find a nice hotel at somewhere like Clayton or Avon. MUCH cheaper and probably someone to clean the room along with a coffee and croissant.

Room Tip: Never mind the room just make sure to take LOTS of money you'll need it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank izifaddag
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear izifaddag,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. We work diligently to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. However, it seems that we were not able to execute an exemplary hotel stay experience with regard to providing competitive rates and guest services. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Lera P

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I was here for a few weeks for business where my company had an office right down the street. This part of Indianapolis definitely leaves a lot to be desired. The whole area is pretty run down and sketchy. There seemed to be people roaming up and down the streets without much to do. There are very limited food options around and absolutely no entertainment or activities within walking distance.

The hotel itself is decent but not great. I tried the pool once and it was very nice and it has a decent workout room which I used a few times. The room was clean but it was pretty small for this type of extended stay facility, especially the kitchen and the bathroom. The staff were nice and helpful but never went above and beyond for me.

I would stay here again if I had to for work but I would prefer a nicer place, with at least more size for a longer stay. I would never choose to stay anywhere near there for a personal trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear smoothrt,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. It is good to know that our rooms were comfortable for your needs and you found our staff to be helpful. However, I am sorry if you feel that our location was not completely at par for a personal trip. We take all reviews negative or positive very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Pam G