“Did what it was supposed to do...”

Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist
Ranked #81 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Stayed at the CS the night before my son's orientation at IUPUI. We were given a special rate of $84.00. The lobby is small, very low ceiling, but the girl behind the desk was pleasant and we were checked in in a matter of minutes.

The room was massive: separate bedroom w/king bed, a huge living room w/pull out sofa, full kitchen, and one bath. For the most part, the room was pretty clean....just a few smears on the counter, and I had to clean a patch of snot off the bathroom wall. When we opened up the sofa bed, the mattress cover had some pretty gross stains on it, so we closed it back up and my son just slept on the sofa itself. The king bed in the bedroom was very comfortable, but the pillows were pathetic. I actually took a bath towel, rolled it up and put it under the pillow.

For the price it was fine. Good location, very close to the university.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Linerguy
Don H, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2013

Thank you for your review of our location. I regret that we were unable to 'wow' you with this most recent visit. Inspection(s) of rooms, prior to a guests' using, should have caught some of the cleanliness issues of which you mention. I apologize for these issues and have addressed your concern with our Executive Housekeeper for follow up.

Individual bedding preferences can differ greatly: pillow/mattress style, etc... Most guests of the facility love the pillows and often attempt to purchase for themselves. Obviously, your preference is more towards a denser pillow. If you should happen to visit again, please ask the front desk for a different pillow type.

There are newer reviews for Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Hotel was great and clean. Great service from Vicki. From reading another review I saw Russell name mentioned. When he checked me in he seemed very short and not very professional. Some people have bad days. I don't think it was me because the next person got the same treatment. Almost like he was a robot and all you got was a checked in. Nothing else. Not even a smile.

• Stayed: June 2013
Don H, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback from your recent stay at our facility. I am pleased that the hotel exceeded your expectations. I do apologize for the 'robotic' way in which you were greeted upon check-in. Obviously, there are certain bullet points that our front desk staff need to address with persons arriving at our location; however, we attempt to do them in a fashion which is not meant to come across as 'robotic'. If back in the area we hope that you give us another opportunity to wow you from start-to-finish this next time.

General Manger

Reviewed 12 June 2013

This hotel was much nicer than we expected. Clean rooms. Cozy bed. Quiet hallways. Not a complaint one! We reserved a suite and it was much larger than expected. Chek in was a breeze. Very helpful staff members as well.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Don H, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Thank you so much for recent review of your stay at our facility. I am pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations in every way. Hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 8 June 2013

I stayed at Candlewood Suites for two days we were were traveling back west the week of May 14th. We visited family while we were there in Indianapolis. The rooms were very clean and large. We couldn't ask for a better place when it came to that. My daughter and I felt that we were constantly being lurked at by Russell at the front desk. He's like a creepy old man. He tried to be overly nice but we could tell by the way he looked at my daughter that he had other things in mind. Just the way he looked at us made us very uncomfortable. We also over heard him using profanity with another guest that was at the desk and was rude and short with them. He's professionalism wasn't there and made us very nervous. If you travel there please be aware of Russell at the front desk because he's a dirty old man that will make you uncomfortable while you are there.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank WestCoastLady_13
Don H, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2013

Candlewood Suites Guest,

It is with mixed feelings that I read your review from your recent stay at our facility. I would like to sincerely apologize if at anytime during your stay at our location that either you, or your daughter, were made to feel uncomfortable. I regret that you did not bring your concerns to my attention during your stay, or prior to your departure, for me to investigate further. While I certainly do not want to discount, or refute in any way, your experience with Russell during your stay, since my running of this location of October 2012, I have had no similar claim made against his character. He has been a well-respected member of the hotel's staff, with multiple accolades of professionalism and customer service.

During your recent stay we did have an issue with an extended-stay guest of the facility who had become a liability to both guests of the hotel, as well as himself. Despite our best attempts at reasoning and being professional, he was unresponsive and a sterner stance was taken prior to his eviction from the location. Volatile incidents of this nature are seldom and are typically dealt with behind-the-scenes, when possible, to avoid guests of the facility being made uncomfortable. Unfortunately, not all of these situations can be handled in this manner and you may have had the misfortune of being privy to one.

I am taking your concern very seriously and will be using it for a future topic of discussion for a team member training session at the hotel, which will discuss professionalism and appropriate guest interaction.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

We stayed here in April '13 while I was having surgery done at the nearby hospital. Great location as it took about 5 minutes to get to the hospital parking garage. They also ran a free shuttle that my parents used often to get from the hotel to the hospital so you didn't have to pay for parking. They just called ahead when they wanted to be picked up and got a time estimate. Both myself, with my wife and son as well army parents and sister stayed in a 2 bedroom room. They were next to each other and great. The bedrooms give a great deal of a space and privacy. Also my son was just under a year and cried a little through the first couple nights getting used to the new place, but my family was unable to hear him cry from the room next door. Mostly noise was heard from above, not the side rooms. The kitchenette was decent, it did save the family from having to go out everyday for meals. There weren't a ton of restaurants around but on 10th St just north of Indiana Ave there are a few sandwich places, restaurants, pizza places, etc. We also got a great deal through the ProCare Concierge. We got the information about them from the hospital, and staying over 2 weeks made the 2 bedroom much cheaper per night. It is a little weird leaving your trash out in the hall, but usually it would get picked up fairly soon. Some days it did seem to sit out for a while though. We only had one real problem and that was for the last few days of our trip one of the elevators didn't work, leaving just one for the entire hotel which meant it could take 10 minutes just to get the elevator during the morning when people were checking out and using elevators a lot. I would have taken the stairs normally but was still sore from surgery. I'm sure this is no longer an issue so I have no problem recommending it to others. I hope to never have to go back to that hospital but if I need to I would stay here again.

Room Tip: 2 bedrooms were a very nice size. Maybe ask for something not on the side of the train tracks. I nev...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Don H, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

Thank you very much for you review from your recent stay. Despite the circumstances which brought you to the area, pleased that many aspects of your stay were enjoyable. Unfortunately, we did experience some mechanical difficulties with one of our elevators during the month of April, causing some inconvenience to guests. This has since been repaired. If you happen to return to the area, would hope that you would choose our location again for your hotel needs.

Reviewed 18 March 2013

Just spent 4 days here while my son had cancer surgery at IU. We had a one bedroom which was clean and perfect for us, kitchen was a big plus since hospital food was not great, and there is really no dining around this hotel. OK though because it can get expensive. Hotel is somewhat isolated from the hussel and bussel. We parked at the hotel and saved on parking by using the shuttle. The shuttle leaves hotel on most of the hours expect some in the afternoon go every hour and half. Keep in mind this is a shuttle, not your personal ride, there are others to be picked up and dropped off. Shuttle may not take u directly to and from, therefore allow time. Don't expect to call and they will rush right there, u will have to wait for the timed run. I have nothing bad to say, we got everything we wantd and more. Only thing i did not see a playground that some said they had, loved the covered patio but in in the back with no good access. I also would was not sure what to do with trash, did not like the idea of leaving it in the hall as others did.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Don H, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

I regret the circumstances that brought you to our location; however, am pleased that your experience with us was a positive one. I was also pleased to read your very descript comments of our hotel shuttle. Not everyone is as understanding as you. Candlewood Suites, by their brand definition, are not required to have shuttles. Due to the large volume of hospital business at our location, it was decided that a shuttle would be beneficial to service those guest visiting these entities, as well as guests who may be here for business/leisure. As the hospital patrons are such a large portion of our hotel, they are the priority when doing any shuttle runs.

In the event you do return to our location, the gazebo/patio area is accessed by going to the lower level (basement) and exiting the back of the hotel.

Due to fire code, trash receptacles, which were originally at the end of each corridor, were required to be removed. Hence, asking guests to set trash outside their rooms for our staff to pick up throughout the day.

I hope that your son is doing well following his surgery. If follow-up visits are necessary, I trust that we are your hotel destination. Thanks again for your patronage.

Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

This is my second stay at a Candlewood and never again... This place reminded me of a bad housing project with a front desk. Dirty, unkempt, no amenities, bad service, bad location and many customers you wouldn't would want to make eye-contact with. The only good thing, the bed was comfy (though maybe dirty). And the tracks... right outside!

• Stayed: March 2013
Don H, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2013

I am sorry to hear of your negative experience at our facility. Many guests who stay with us and are not familiar with the Candlewood Suites 'extended-stay' concept, might find the absence of daily housekeeping service, complementary breakfast and /or adjoining restaurant(s), etc..., as a lack of amenities. Otherwise, standard amenities would inlcude: shampoo, soap, toilet/facial tissue, etc...

This location, at one time, was an apartment complex. Hence, the smaller atrium area vs. that of a property with a more spacious lobby area. While our lobby area is smaller, the rooms are very spacious in comparison to other Candlewood Suites.

The location of our property is about 2 miles west of Downtown Indianapolis, putting it in close proximity to several hospital locations, as well as a more 'urban' setting. While this urban setting can be offsetting to some individuals, criminal activity is minimal to non-existant. No more so than any downtown hotel location. Given our proximity to the many hospitals: IU, Wishard, Methodist, Riley Children's, VA, etc..., we receive several persons staying at location for medical purposes. Many of these are here for organ transplant(s), cancer treatment, etc... None of the person(s) staying at the facility are contagious and/or a danger to any other guest of the facility who may be here for business/leisure purposes.

I do apologize for any cleanliness issues experienced during your stay and would be interested in hearing of your negative experience with my staff so that corrective measures can be made. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience.