“Average hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Park Place at City Centre
Park Place at City Centre
“Average hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013 via mobile

Not a horrible place but also a very average hotel, almost below average hotel. The decor is outdated, the bathroom door was torn up on the bottom looking as if it was rotted. They use mini blinds and not curtains, walls paper thin, noisy and no hot water even at 4:30am when we were up and moving which tells me I am glad I was not up with the rest of the place or ice might have came out. If here again I will pay the extra 50 to stay someplace else heck another 75 as this place should be turned into apartments for the university students running around the darn place

• Stayed January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

Being a student and wanting to get IUPUI university housing, I was giving a chance to stay at park place. Thinking it being a hotel, I expected it to be good. Well I was proven wrong. With the internet being bad on the 5 weekdays, it was a big pain to do anything there. The walls are so thin that even if you whisper, your neighbor can find out what you are speaking. The place is in the middle of no where, with a ghetto being a block away. You want a pool, it is open only for about 3 months in the year, where it is washed about once in 2 weeks. If I were you, I wouldn't stay there.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Sujan_1993

Travellers are raving about these Indianapolis hotels

Binghamton, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2010

A little outdated but definetly priced reasonable. Neighborhood a little sketchy...would not wonder at nite to far. The walk way to downtown Indianapolis was amazing....we walked for miles on the most impressive and clean walking area. We walked this area around the hospital to the Mall with some pretty great food areas, to Lucas Oil Stadium (approx 3 miles). No maid service but enough supplies were left for our visit and upon checking in the front desk was very friendly offered us any extras to let her know. Loved the city but would probably pay the extra and stay closer to downtown.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DoraHotels, Manager at Park Place at City Centre, responded to this review, 2 August 2010
Thank you for your comments and for staying with us. While we are located a little outside the main downtown area, we are pleased to offer large, apartment style accommodations. The White River Promenade is a beautiful way to take in the city skyline and ideal for walking, running, or biking. If you prefer a faster way to downtown, our hotel shuttle is available for less than the cost of a taxi.
Indianapolis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2010

I'm a student who has been staying here for almost 8 months.
Having lived here for so long, I can say I am very upset that IUPUI would ever put their students in such a place. They have no good mail system set up, are CONSTANTLY spraying for bugs, the alarms are frequently going off for no reason, and there are only two elevators to service 12 floors of people.

My biggest concern: the internet connection is absolutely TERRIBLE! DO NOT stay here if you're on business and need a good connection. I run a small business that is run primarily by internet. The internet connection here is down almost every other day (or more). If it's not totally down, its very very laggy. Living in Park Place has greatly hindered my work and caused me to lose business due to missing deadlines because of my lack of internet. I have heard people complain to the front office time and time again and all they say is "There's nothing I can do. I'll check with our IT guy." And has anything changed? No.

I cannot wait to get out of this place and live in a real living environment.
Thank you, IUPUI, for sticking your students here!

2 Thank v8juiceisgood
We are sorry to hear you did not have a perfect stay. Unfortunately, due to a substantial increase in internet usage, our internet service had some issues in the past. We have worked with several technology companies to improve services and have made a substantial investment over the last two months. Bandwidth and speed are both improved. TripAdvisor comments are extremely important to us. We really appreciate your feedback and comments so we can continue to improve our services.
northern indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2010

I am a disabled veteran living in a wheelchair. I was put up in your establishment by the VA hospital for 1 night along with my daughter. We had told them that I could not walk at all and would need a wheelchair accessible room. They told us ok. When we got there we were told that IT as in one such room had already been taken and they said they only had the one. What kind of hotel that services a veteran’s hospital would only have ONE wheelchair accessible room???? We were put up on the 4th floor in a 3 bedroom suite (?). It had a fridge that was barely cool enough to keep a soda cool enough to drink, a double sink with who knows how many years of caulk all around the edges, a stove with burners that didn’t fit properly (can we say fire hazard?), and a microwave that I didn’t even want to open. Then out of the 3 rooms, I could only get into 1 of them and only after I took the foot pedals off of my wheelchair. I could just barely squeeze my chair between the bed and the wall. I could not even get into the bathroom at all so I had to go down stairs to the public restroom to take care of that business. So I went to the VA the next day smelling of sweat because I could not take a shower or even bathe myself. It was noisy from very thin walls, kids, drunks, sirens, and airplanes. My daughter and I neither one got any kind of restful sleep. When I got to the VA, I reported this to them and they said they were going to check into it. When they asked me if I would stay there for my next visit I gave them a big H*%# NO that I would pay for something worth staying at so that I and my family could get the rest we need and had more than ONE wheelchair accessible room. For your information, this is the NICE version of what I truly think.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
We are sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately, we have a limited number of wheelchair accessible accommodations. With our close proximity to several downtown hospitals, these rooms are often reserved far in advance. Because of feedback from guests, we are working to add additional accessible accommodations. Until these are complete, the Candlewood Suites, located next door, offers several guest rooms with accessible access.
Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2010

I stayed at this "hotel" with my father, who is a disabled veteran in a wheelchair with no ability to walk. We were there for a medical appointment at the VA and they put us up there over night. We were put on the 4th floor in an non-handicapped accessable room. He could only get into one bedroom with his wheelchair and had to go downstairs to use the restroom because he couldn't even get in the door of the one in our room. When we asked about a handicapped accessable room, they stated they only had ONE!!! What kind of hotel, especially one that deals with hospitals, only has ONE handicapped accessable room? That was the worst of it, but there were other things, such as hard water, thin walls, & noisy environment. I would have paid for my own hotel if I had known how unhappy I'd be about my stay at this "hotel".

Monticello
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2008

We booked our stay thru the Pro care network due to our child having out patient treatments done at Riley. We checked in, and went to our room. By first glance, the room is a bit dated, but we thought no big deal since we would be gone most of the day anyway. The room smelled of stale air, and the air conditioning did not work. I immediately called to front desk to report this, and to ask if they had a fan to put in the room. They didn't have one,and suggested that we turn on the ceiling fan. We tried that, and it wobbled so bad that I thought that the dry wall would come off, and we immediately turned it off. Still we waited for the maint. crew to come and fix our air. No one arrived, so we had a sleepless night since our child is asthmatic and couldn't rest either. On our way to Riley Childrens Hospital the next morning, I again stopped at the front desk, to report that the air conditioning was still not working. After returning from the hospital later that afternoon, we went to our room confident that it would be fixed. It wasn't on, so my husband tried to turn it on, and literally had sparks come from the unit. I again went to the front desk to let them know what had happened, and immediately walked across the street to the Candlewood hotel and asked if they had a room. I was hooked up with a room, and my husband and kids moved our stuff over as I checked out of the Park Place. I met the General Manager that wasn't exactly polite, never apologized to me and told me that we could have had another room in the hotel, and that she wished that I had informed her of the above problems. Not exactly my job, since her staff didn't even feel the need to take our concerns seriously. The Candlewood was great, we got the rest we needed, and woke up rested for another long day at Riley.

• Liked — Close to the Childrens hospital
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
1 Thank TrinaAnn
CityCentreHotels, Manager at Park Place at City Centre, responded to this review, 15 September 2008
Our apologies for the trouble with your recent stay. Clearly, our staff did not communicate effectively to ensure an enjoyable stay. Please know that your concern has been taken to the highest level to help prevent such a problem from happening again. At Park Place, we take great pride in providing our guests with attentive and exceptional degree of service. I wish this had been your experience as well. Please let us know what we can do to correct the problem with your recent stay.