“Very convenient to stadium”

Staybridge Suites Indianapolis - City Centre
Ranked #30 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
USA
“Very convenient to stadium”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

This hotel was very nice. The service was good. We asked for lots of towels and blankets, and they accomodated us. The complimentary breakfast was good. The staff was helpful. The rooms were not huge, but comfortable. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. My only issue was, you have to walk through the bedroom to get to the bathroom. If you have someone staying on the pullout couch, which we did, it can be an issue. That seems to be the arrangement in many suite hotels, which I don't tlike. But I do like the way the bathroom sink is in a separate area from the shower and toilet. The kitchen area was adequate.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Indonesian first
Suburban Detroit
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I reviewed this hotel after our stay last year for Jamfest Super Nationals Cheer Competition in January. Last year I couldn't have been happier with our stay, this year I could have been a LOT happier.

I will start with THE GOOD.

To start, we got a great deal. We stayed as a group last year and were able to negotiate a good rate for this year based on that.

The room was nice and clean. That is very important to me. In fact, we loved the room. We had a double queen suite with a pull out couch in the living room. Plenty of room for the 4 of us that stayed there. Some in our group had as many as 6 in their rooms and they still felt comfortable. The kitchen with full fridge was a plus. It was perfect for leftovers from the restaurants we visited on our off time. It was nice to have cupboards filled with dishes and we were very happy to find wine glasses and even a wine opener. If you have ever had to spend a full day at the convention center with teenagers and non stop cheerleading, you know how much appreciated a nice glass of wine is when you get back to your hotel!

Breakfast was good, too. A nice selection. On Saturday we had to be at the competition so early that we missed breakfast but on Sunday the manager was very helpful and arranged to serve it an hour earlier than normal so we could eat before we left for the day. It was great to fill up before we hit the road back home on Monday, too.

The shuttle was a nice convience but it wasn't always running. However, the front desk was always quick to get a cab for us when needed. It was never more than 5 to7 bucks for a trip to any downtown destination.

Now, THE BAD

To start, we had a group with us. 6 rooms total. We understood we probably wouldn't all be right next door to each other but we requested we be close. They said "they'd try" but we were spread out all over that hotel. Some on 2nd floor. Some on 3rd. Some on 6th. Based on what I saw that weekend in the breakfast room, lobby, elevators, and parking lot they were not fully booked. I think they could have "tried" a little harder to get us at least on the same floor as each other.

Second, no maid service on weekends. No new towels, no trash emptied, no clean up, no beds made. If you wanted weekend maid service you had to call before 5 to arrange it, and you'd be charged. With 4 women in one room there was no way we could go three nights with the original set of towels. So, on Saturday (night 2) I called the front desk to ask for more towels and a trash bag since ours was completely overflowing and was barked at "you have to come down here for that!" So, down I went. I had to practically beg for enough towels for us to shower with, they did not want to give them up. And I was told there simply was no more trash bags to give. None. I had two more nights left with trash overflowing in the kitchen and bathroom and they would not give us a trash bag! Each one of my friends (6 rooms worth) all had the exact same problems. One was given hand towels to shower with, one was given dirty towels, and yet another was just told "sorry, no more towels". Nobody ever got a trash bag. Not one over the whole weekend. By Monday when we left we had trash piled all over the place. We used grocery bags and take out bags that we had with us but still, it was bad. And we had to deal with it all weekend since there was no maid to come through and pick it up. Awful. Just awful.

One last thing. While we all got a great rate, one person in our group was charged a LOT more than the rest of us and they had no explaination for it. They ended up taking $75 off her bill but that was still nowhere near the deal the rest of us got. When she complained and explained she was part of our group (booked together and everything) the front desk people had a "too bad so sad" attitude.

I was sadly disappointed in the Staybridge this trip. And that's unfortunate because last year was such a good experience. With the Super Bowl in Indy this year and Lucas Oil Stadium being just steps away you'd think they'd be on their A game but they really fell flat. I like the Staybridge in general but the lack of towels and trash build up did me in. I'm not sure I'd stay there again. I think if we go back to Jamfest next year I will try somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you don't get a room facing Lucas Oil Stadium, you have a view of ugly city. Not too much to...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank FamilyFunMom
Illinois
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I was surprised we had to pay for parking on a night when it seemed completely dead downtown in December. The hotel front desk staff was not as friendly as they are at the one in Carmel. Rooms are pretty standard as others. Breakfast was about the same, but not laid out as well and in a smaller area. The seating area was so packed that there were no places to sit.

Had a colleague staying here the same night who checked in fairly late and she really had some issues with the staff and billing. Not sure I'd stay here again. Was in town for an event at the Marriott and that was beautiful hotel decorated really nice for Christmas. I would probably stay there if downtown again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank weyes
Mason
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I accidently booked my stay without using points. Called hotel manager several times to work out the situation, but never got a response. Asked to cancel the room, but would not get money back due to advance purchase. So I was stuck with the price and reservation. I was very frustrated that the manager would not even bother to work out my request. This is probably unique to me, but is my key negative experience.

Upon arriving to the hotel, I requested a later checkout and was pleasantly surprised that the front desk was willing to accommodate even though I requested this before arriving and was denied twice. Additionally, I was given an upgrade. The room was great, wonderful amenities and clean.

The hotel is also super close to Lucas stadium. This means you can also hear the stadium announcements and noises. Parking for hotel is also an extra $12.

Summary-

Negatives = bad experience with reservation and management unresponsiveness, noisy stadium.

Positives = beautiful hotel and amenities.

Room Tip: Includes full kitchen and dishware - perfect for extended stays. Also great location to Lucas stadiu...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Ngfunky
Auckland
Reviewed 28 September 2011

Spent 5 nights here a part of a Package to the Indy 500 late May early June 2011.
Has a room on the ground floor (was actually a room specifically set up for a wheel chair user) but suited me fine anyway, the bedroom was seperate. I can't really comment on what the other rooms were like. The room had a full kitchen in it including full sized fridge and oven. There is a large Gas station not far down the road if you need to buy a limited range of food or a great range of snacks(plus beers) to cook yourself if you want.
Arrived a bit early but was able to get my room straight away, the only thing was the reception didn't seem over friendly, a welcoming smile and a friendly hello would go a long way. You can also buy snacks, icecreams, sodas and other requirements in a little anex by reception. The bonus was, I then found out from another guest that during the week days up till Thursday they have a complementary snack and beer in the late afternoon. So there was a huge ammount of Nachos, chilli etc plus pour your own beers available in what was normally the breakfast servery.
The only down side of this place is apart from the free midweek beers, the hotel has no bar and just a breakfast restaurant. The breakfast was pretty good, a reasonble selection of cooked things but a great selection of cerials, yoghurts etc and plenty of things that children like. There is lots of parking behind the hotel which nearly backs onto the BIG stadium. There is a good fitness room and a very nice indoor swimming pool plus another room set up as a TV lounge with big chairs and big screen. There is also another big sceen TV in the breakfast eating area. The Rooms were comfortable, nice furniture, great free and fast internet to plug into, I had a big flat screen TV in both my bedroom and lounge area and the bed was very comfortable and the rooms quiet. Actual Downtown Indianapolis is about 15 minutes walk away. I had read reports you had to watch yourself walking to downtown but didn't encounter any problems, but still get nervous walking on the road when you go under the railway lines just before downtown Indy. So overall it is quite well located if you don't mind 15 minutes walk to get to all the great downtown restaurants and I understand easy to get to if driving. Would I stay there again. As I was on my own, probably not, as I would prefer to be right in downtown where all the action is on Indy 500 weekend and have a Bar as well, but as a place to stay if you had your familiy with you and any size of vehicle it would be great. Also good place for sports fans exceptthe lack of a bar. It was nice and clean as well. Recommneded highly if it suits your requirements.

Room Tip: I think they are all good.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Shingle Springs, California
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Helpful staff. Very convenient location near Lucas Oil Stadium and the Indianapolis Convention Center. Also very convenient when getting on/off the freeway. There's parking behind the hotel, but it was often full, so we usually used the complementary parking garage a short distance away. It was great to have the kitchen facilities available in a Staybridge Suites hotel, so it felt like home for the 4 days we were there. Would stay here again!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelGal2004
Ball Ground, Georgia
Reviewed 24 September 2011

We stayed in late August for a long weekend to attend the Moto GP race at IMS. We lucked out in finally having a Colts preseason game at home that weekend as well. The great - staying here meant walking to the game and not messing with traffic. The good - staying here also meant we could walk to Meridian for food and fun at night. Yes, it was a little bit of walk, but we were not bothered by walking. The okay - this hotel does not have an ice machine for hotel guests to access without going through the front desk. The ice machine in our room didn't produce more than 2 batches of ice each day. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite, great for 4 adults to sleep but tight for hanging out in the living area as a group (plus the 2 others staying down the hall). Breakfast was okay, not great. The front desk staff was pretty helpful in answering questions for us. Parking lot behind the hotel was a little tight. The night of the game, we knew that would be an issue and planned for being back from IMS early. You can't deny how awesome it is to have the view of Lucas Oil Stadium outside your room every day. There was no room service on the weekend, which was fine since we were aware of this. I will say that the front desk didn't tell us this, I knew this from reading reviews and reading the sign in the bathroom, however it wasn't a prominent sign and our other party staying here didn't realize that. Would we stay here again? Probably. The cost is a bit high, but we weighed the cost against knowing we were at the stadium and downtown and wouldn't have to mess with parking down there. The drive to IMS is pretty easy and it's in a pretty quiet area of downtown.

Room Tip: Not all rooms face Lucas Oil Stadium. I was told the 2 bedroom suites all face Lucas Oil when I call...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends