“A Nice Choice in Indianapolis”

Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis - Southeast
Ranked #73 of 186 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 27 June 2012

My wife and I frequently stop at many of the "new" Holiday Inn Expresses throughout the country and we have rarely been disappointed. That certainly was true when we spent two nights at the HIE Southeast In Indianapolis recently. Conveniently located just off the I-465 beltway that circles that city and only a mile or two from both the I-65 or the I-74 freeways, the Inn is immaculately clean, its rooms unusually large (every room contains two king-sized and quite comfortable beds), and its bathrooms well-designed. All the front-desk personnel were outgoing, efficient and very friendly. For travelers needing to find a location to stop in the Indianapolis area, especially in the south sections of the city, the HIE Southeast is well worth considering.

There is probably no such thing as a "typical" or "average" Holiday Inn Express despite many seemingly outward physical similarities across the USA. Some are, however, better than others thanks to any number of intangibles; some are not. The HIE Southeast falls closer to the latter than the former. There are lots of "problems" that cause such a generalization. Each morning's breakfast, for instance, is, at best mediocre in light of today's expectations. Scrambled eggs, a few sausages (but no bacon), biscuits with, occasionally, sausage gravy, a few cold muffins or plain bagels, several cold cereals, and a few other low-end items such as Walmart's Great Value tea, the only available choice. The only fresh fruit when we visited the inn were several overly ripe bananas. Add to that the fact that the breakfast room is located on the east side of the motel so that each morning many of the tables are so heavily bathed in sunlight that they are impossible to be used (unless one wants to be uncomfortable through the entire meal). Though there are several small restaurants located nearby, anyone looking for a wide variety of eating possibilities needs to drive to nearby Greenwood more than five to six miles away, a clearly inconvenient nuisance. Shopping in the immediate area means either Walmart or, farther down the street, a Big K-Mart. Anyone wanting more also will need to go to Greenwood.

There are many other small, but quite irritating detractions at the HIE. No matter how hard we tried to be considerate of several sleeping neighbors, our door squeaked so loudly when we opened or closed it that we had the feeling we had been transported back to the old Inner Sanctum radio show. Though the housekeeping staff did a very nice job cleaning and freshing-up our room, they failed on both days that we were staying with them to replace a burned out light bulb which we reported almost immediately after checking in and then again the following day. For some reason, the elevators have heaters in them which seem to come on automatically even when the temperature outside is in the high 90s. Though the bedrooms, as noted above, are large, if not truly spacious, there is barely room to put only one piece of luggage (unless one wishes to sweep everything off the desk and use it as a second luggage rack). And, even though it is, I suppose, a matter of personal choice, the inn has chosen to employ the same "weird" design of wallpaper virtually everywhere -- in all the hallways, in the front lobby, in the breakfast room, and elsewhere. It is a design that few could love.

Room rates are fair (though the nearby equally large LaQuinta Inn was, on average, more than $15 cheaper per night). Whether the HIE is worth the added difference is a matter each person will have to decide for him- or herself. Still, despite all the "things" noted above, we were in no way sorry we chose the inn when we were in Indianapolis. The HIE Southeast is a solid 3-star, maybe even three-and-a-half star place to stay. It offers a comfortable, restful night to sleep and, though there are drawbacks, many travelers will be as glad as we were if they decide to stop.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank BigP
Management response:Responded 30 June 2012

Dear BigP,

I want to thank you for the time that you spent to review the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast. Just reading your review shows that you put a lot of thought into it! I noticed that you stated that all of our rooms have two king beds. Not only is this true, but also, all of the rooms do come with a refrigerator, microwave and an in-room safe. In the general area, we have mainly fast food restaurants, for example, McDonalds, Fazolis, Arby's, Hardees, and Rally's. Just two miles south of us on Southport Road is where our guests can find different sit-down chain restaurants, such as O'Charley's, Texas Roadhouse, Longhorn Steakhouse, Bob Evans, and Cracker Barrel. On the same road that we are on is a wonderful Japanese steakhouse, Fujiyama. We do have a variety of breakfast options, and these rotate based on the day of the week. I do hope the next time you are in Indianapolis, the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast is your hotel of choice!

Reviewed 21 June 2012

This is not a new hotel but an updated one. But from what I saw it still looked in good shape and well kept. The staffs from the front desk to the morning breakfast were really helpful. Booked just a 1 night stay online and when I checked my credit card account later I saw the room cost plus that $25 charge so many reviewers talked about. That charge was the first time I have ever seen over several years of traveling. I have seen resort fees and dog deposits but never a misc. fee that is not charged unless the hotel feels you have caused some type problem in your room. Within three day after the stay the only the room charge and tax remained. I agree that the hotel needs to tell the guest at check in about the charge. If it was on the registration form then it should be pointed out to the guest at that time. The online site only quotes the room rate and tax. I liked the two king beds. Our 37 year old son comes with us and the bed was better than a sleeper sofa. And the room was very large. This was basically a 1 night sleep stay so we did not get a chance to use the pool or hot tub. Breakfast was great and followed the high standards for Holiday Inn Express. The hotel in general looked well maintained and all staff members I met were polite. I have added this location on my stay list.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 24 June 2012

Dear RetiredTravelerOhio,

We opened for business a little over 3 years ago. When you check in, we authorize the card presented for $25.00 for incidentals, plus the cost of the room and tax. Any unused portion of this is then released back to you upon checkout. You stated that you liked the two king beds in your room. In addition to the two king beds, all of our rooms do come with a 42 inch television, microwave, refrigerator, and an in-room safe. I see that you have added the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast to your stay list, and I do hope that when you are in Indianapolis next, that you do decide to stay at our hotel.

Reviewed 20 June 2012

We had a wonderful experience at this property. The room was clean, large, with contemporary decorated styling. The beds were extremely comfortable and provided a refreshing sleep. The pool and hot tub were relaxing. Breakfast was delicious with a variety of choices. Don at the front desk was very friendly and professional.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wayne L
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Two king size beds was the reason I booked this location, and I loved everything about this hotel once I got there. The rooms are very large, the decor is clean and contemporary, the pool was very nice, and the hotel seemed brand new, even though the manager told me it is four years old. Staff was very nice

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
KevinGSM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis - Southeast, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2012

Dear Leslie W,

I want to thank you for the time that you spent to review our hotel, the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast. As you mentioned, your room came with two king beds. All of our rooms do come with two king beds, 42 inch televisions, refrigerators, microwaves and in-room safe. We do have a pool area that is four times as large as the average Holiday Inn Express pool area. We also recently celebrated our 4 year anniversary of being open. I do hope that when you come through Indianapolis again, that your hotel of choice will be the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast.

Reviewed 1 June 2012

This is one of the better Holiday Inn Express around. Two big nice king beds, great pool and workout room and great breakfast. All at a very fair price.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
KevinGSM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis - Southeast, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2012

Dear Ron R,

I want to thank you for the review that you posted about the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay! Every room has 2 king beds, 42 inch television, refrigerator, microwave and an in room safe. Our pool is 4 times the size of the average Holiday Inn Express pool. I do hope that the next time you are in Indianapolis, that your hotel of choice is the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast

Reviewed 1 June 2012

Outstanding hotel with great customer service. I will stay here on all future visits to the Indy area.

• Stayed: June 2011

Dear jtraley,

I want to thank you for the time that you took to write a review regarding the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay. I see that you have especially mentioned Don. As Don's supervisor, I will make sure that he is aware of your comments. I also see that you have made us your Indianapolis hotel of choice when traveling through. The next time your plans take you through Indianapolis, do not hesitate to call the Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Southeast.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is a new hotel and the staff are really nice. Booked a 2 night stay online but wasn't aware of the extra $25 per night incidental charges until returning home and checked bank acct. They really need to tell customers this upon booking and again at check in. Very irresponsible for a hotel like this. Our bank acct. was on the verge of overdraft because of these unknown charges. Otherwise would stay here again. 2 King size beds and very large rooms. Pool was very cool but hottub was nice. Breakfast was great.

Room Tip: top floors are quieter. one end is closer to freeway.