I stayed at this hotel in early March 2012 because I was giving a 6-hour talk at the conference center the next day. The sleeping room was spacious but the furnishings and carpeting were tired. The bathroom seemed updated but the bed was hard and lumpy.
The banquet staff tried hard to make things work. But they were wayyy under-resourced. For instance ...
The meeting room was long and narrow; it maybe accommodated 160 people, but we had 250. So people were crammed in.
For those 250 people, the hotel put out one 6-gallon coffee container [which was apparently all they had and which 'blew up' 3 times!!] and a large container of iced tea that leaked so much it saturated the table top and flowed onto the carpeting, literally. The coffee pot was plugged into a household extension cord ... which they had to stretch across the main entry into the meeting room to reach the nearest outlet. Several people tripped on the cord, despite our numerous efforts to get it secured to the floor.
Entrance doors at my end of the room were locked from the outside. If there'd been a fire, I doubt we could have gotten out of the room quickly and safely.
The sound system was an old freestanding speaker system. When the volume was turned up enough that those in the rear could hear, the feedback loops with the microphone produced ear-piercing screeches. When we eliminated the feedback, the audio couldn't be heard beyond the front third to half of the room. It was a struggle for the entire day.
Heather, who helped with the setup, was wonderful -- patient and hard working and good natured. She had to bring 3 sets of cords before we found one in good enough shape to connect my computer to the amp/speakers so we could run video. In addition, the microphones were old and not functioning well. We went through 2 lav mikes to find one that worked.
The ladies room had 4 stalls ... for over 200 women!! I got Heather to open a hospitality suite, adding 2 more stalls, but it was a significant walk from the meeting room. Bottom line? Breaks took 25 minutes ... in restrooms that smelled. I used the main restroom once ... a leaky sink had poured about half a gallon of water on the floor -- slippery and unsavory, to say the least.
The highway system around the hotel was under MAJOR construction. So we had lots of complaints about people struggling to reach the site and to find their way to/from restaurants for lunch. After the program, the meeting coordinator and I had a tough time getting on the interstate because of all the construction.
Clarion is giving Ramada and Red Lion a run for their money in terms of low-end, dirty, tacky facilities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy a wealth of amenities in a prime location at the Clarion Inn(R) hotel in Indianapolis, IN. Our pet-friendly hotel is minutes from Indianapolis International Airport and Indianapolis Motor Speedway and close to: •Indiana Convention Center •Lucas Oil Stadium •Bankers Life Fieldhouse •Indianapolis Museum of Art •Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis Feel relaxed and at home in our inviting guest rooms, offering poolside or lakeside views. All rooms feature coffee makers and hair dryers. All rooms also include refrigerators and microwaves. Additional amenities include: •Free deluxe continental breakfast •Free wireless high-speed Internet access •Free newspaper •Indoor heated pool and hot tub •Fitness center *Business Center *Laundry Facilities Corporate travelers will appreciate the ability to take care of basic business needs with access to our business center, which includes a public computer and copy and fax services. Our 17,500 square feet of banquet and meeting facilities and professional staff make it easy to plan and host your next special event. Make your reservation today at the Clarion Inn hotel in Indianapolis, IN for the best combination of affordable rates and home-like amenities in a perfect location. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers and HotelQuickly so you can book your Waterfront Hotel and Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clarion Hotel And Conference Center
- Clarion Hotel Indianapolis
- Clarion Indianapolis
- Indianapolis Clarion