“Needs renovation of rooms and management”

Waterfront Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #140 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed three nights with a larger family group for a wedding. This hotel fell far short of our expectations. We've stayed at other Choice Hotels in the past and generally have been very pleased. This location is old, in need of updates, and in need of management that is involved.

Our #1 issue was the breakfast. They simply were understaffed and under-prepared for breakfast. And it felt like they didn't care. Every morning there was a 20+ minute wait to make a waffle--yet they only ever brought out 1 waffle iron. On some days the food ran completely out, and when they finally brought out additional food, it was 5 minutes before breakfast "closed". When breakfast did close they took food out from under people who had been waiting--throwing the food away. The breakfast staff on at least 2 of the days was not friendly and seemed to be doing the least he possibly could.

Upon checkout, the management seemed surprised that there was only 1 waffle iron and said they had more. So this is either a lie or management is so disconnected that it raises questions on what else they are missing.

The rest of our disappointments where:
- The bathroom was dirty, with the toilet seat needing repair
- The toilet paper holder didn't hold toilet paper
- The shades fell out of the ceiling when closed
- The water control in the shower apparently broke previously and the handle had been replaced with a faucet handle
- The maintenance guy was cursing on his way up to our room to fix the shades
- The pool is indoors but is NOT heated--so it's really too cold to be of much use. The pool also looked cloudy and not clean

In summary my family would not stay here again. Well worth a few extra bucks to actually enjoy yourself.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 July 2014

This is in the Choice hotel chain, most of which are average motel-style places. The Clarion is a very large facility with unexpected features that are of no value to the average guest - such as an unused theater, conference rooms, etc. It's not exactly in the middle of nowhere, but I'm not sure that it's near anything that matters to most travelers. The night clerk was a trainee who did not know where the elevator was, and the morning clerk was a trainee who did not know how to print a receipt, but both were courteous and friendly. The room was amazingly large. Many things either did not work, or were noticeably damaged. Walls were scuffed, doors dented, fixtures bent, several lights did not work.

I have to make an excursion on a pet peeve. The building has a large indoor swimming pool in the center. I guess this is great for the kids, but it means that every room has high humidity and a strong chlorine smell. After working all night, our air conditioner had not dried out the air in the room.

Breakfast was a very simple buffet - carbs and fats - that was almost lost in a huge space that might have served as a dance floor for 200 people. When I went to breakfast at 8 I was the only person there. At 8:30 there were only 2 people there.

I would consider going back, if I needed a hotel in that area. It's almost quirky enough to enjoy.

Room Tip: Far, far, far from the pool, in hopes of getting away from the chlorine odor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Fringe_Gatherer
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We had reservations for 20 rooms and found this is the perfect place for our group. We plan to return annually. We found the staff great to work with. They were willing to make special arrangements for an early breakfast on the weekend.

Room Tip: If you have time for a dip or time in the hot tub, you might like a first floor room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This is the worst Choice Hotel I've ever been in. Their standards are usually pretty high but not here. This one is well-worn and in need of a lot of renovation. We did notice that during our stay the Conference Center was being worked on. Hopefully, the rest of the rooms will follow soon. We arrived late on a Monday in March and the place was deserted. Our room was mostly OK. But then we noticed that the door jam and lock on our side of the door to the adjoining room was damaged and we had no way to assure that no one could enter from there. When we asked someone to come down and look at it, the woman said "oh I wasn't here over the weekend, it must have happened then--must be some rowdy people..." she did not offer to move us. We didn't buy that story at all. But since it was very late (going towards midnight) and we were very tired, we accepted her assurance that no one would be assigned to the room next door.

Breakfast was just okay--glad I could enjoy the fresh waffles!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for a business conference. I was in a standard 2 double room overlooking the atrium area of the hotel. Upon first arrival check-in was fine- my room was not quite ready (we were early) but I received my room keys a little later. There have been some recent upgrades to this hotel (paint, bedding, new microwaves and refrigerators, etc) so I was pleasantly surprised when I first walked in. The room was spacious and appeared to be clean (more on that later). I documented my room and the atrium/pool area.

Once I started looking closer, I found several things wrong, one of which was disturbing. The sink in the bathroom had a faulty stopper, so maintenance came and took the stopper completely out, so I took my jewelry off far away from the bathroom for fear of my rings/earrings going down the drain, never to be seen again. The second thing I found were cigarette burns on the new bedding. The last was just plain icky - while hunting for an outlet to plug the iron into, I found a pair of obviously used men's underwear behind the dresser, so that was gross.

I didn't have time to get into the pool or hot tub, but the hot tub looked dirty (there was a ring at the water level). Clarion needs to hire a new pool maintenance company.

I tried the free continental breakfast the next morning - but you should skip it and buy breakfast elsewhere, as there wasn't a large selection, the coffee was undrinkable and the sausages were too much for the cheap plastic cutlery provided. Just not appetizing at all.

The gym set-up was strange; I tried my room key in the lock and it didn't work - there was a sign asking you to notify the front desk if you wanted to use the gym. So I have to ask permission? Odd.

The rest of the hotel was ok. The restrooms in the main hall have been updated, which is good. Housekeeping did seem to make the attempt to keep the conference rooms clean throughout the evening. But for my group's next conference, I'm not staying here. I'll be staying at the nearest Hampton I can find!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Myself and my Indy 500 group again stayed here for race weekend. This makes 6 years in a row. Each year has been a very enjoyable experience. The staff is as friendly as ever and they were more than helpful with a couple of needs we had. The room was very clean and very comfortable. The updates the hotel has put in over the last few years has really sharpened the place up. The pool was also clean and very refreshing. For being essentially sold out and very busy, it was never to loud, no obnoxiousness and despite the amount of people staying during the weekend, the staff was very prepared and professional. Breakfast was pretty standard for this type of hotel. Waffles and fruit filled us up enough until we could get some turkey legs at the track. The bar on site was open for a nice, relaxing beer on the patio by the lake after the race. Only thing that would definitely be welcomed would be if the restaurant was open and serving food. Hopefully maybe next year.

On behalf of myself and our Michigan IndyCar group, thank you Clarion Waterfront for another very enjoyable stay. Great job all around!

J. Belanger
Allen Park, MI

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank James B
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

The room was clean except for used Kleenex behind the night stand and we left a tip for the housekeeper for makin our bed and she didn't even make it correctly. I also work at a resort in a different state so I know how things are to be done. Our last night was the worst. They had a group of bikers come in and they were bein really loud outside our room. Drinkin alcohol in glass and aluminum containers in the pool area. Said somethin to front desk and pretty much said he couldn't do anything. They got special treatment. Shawna was very nice about the situation and then we spoke to a manager and she pretty much laughed in our face. This hotel is a joke and don't care about their guest except the ones who continue to come back. Not a good place to stay and the manager is rude.

Stayed: May 2014