“Refused prepaid reservation.”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Indianapolis Downtown
Ranked #79 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 17 October 2012

My twenty year old employee was booked into this Hotel and they refused a room because he was under twenty-one. Talked with general manager and he was rude and didn't want to honor the reservation. We were at La Quinta for convenience to the Convention center. Had to book a new hotel all the way out at the airport. The General Manager also refused to refund our Credit Card. Warning beware of this Hotel!!!!!

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Indianapolis Downtown

Reviewed 7 October 2012

I've stayed at a number of La Quintas over the years, and this was below I've come to expect. It was clearly another brand of hotel before it recently changed hands. The rooms have been redone and are nice. However the elevator is the size of a bath tub (3' x 5'). The metal door frame to my room had obviously been damaged by at least an attempted break in. There aren't enough parking spaces. I tried the lower parking level that nobody was using and scraped the roof rach on y Toyota Sienna. It became obvious why it wasn't used. On the flip side, the front desk was always manned and very helpful.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2012

OK to stay here if you want or need to be (barely) in downtown Indy and are on a budget. If not booked, it would be worth a little extra to me to be in one of the many full service options closer to central downtown / stadium, but this property is serviceable. Figure an average 15 minute walk to where you are likely going to want to go Downtown or to the stadium. It’s renovated to latest La Quinta urban lodging standards, but if you've stayed at other newer urban La Quinta locations, this one might fall short because of the challenging bones they were working with. Funny (but free!) parking area that can fill up. Tiny vintage elevator didn't make the renovation cut. Our room had no chairs, including a desk chair. Brought that to the attention of the front desk, was promised that a desk chair would be delivered, but never was. We made do. Comfortable beds, La Quinta breakfast, and great rate would have me consider returning if other options are too much of a rate premium or not available.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I was a little worried about winning a 4-night stay here on Hotwire ($55/night) after I saw the mixed reviews, but we had a very good stay here. I'm just going to list my thoughts:

1. The room is not tiny like some in downtowns in bigger cities. We had a king-sized bed, desk, and small fridge and microwave. A side chair or love seat would have been nice, and there was enough room for one in the room.

2. The noise level is not that bad. We asked for a room away from Washington Street (busy road and demolition project going on across the street), and it was fine. We overlooked the parking lot, and the noise was not bad. We did hear a few helicopters from the heliport behind the hotel, but they weren't very distracting. The fan is good for creating white noise. We've had much noisier rooms in more expensive hotels on the northside of Indianapolis that face the freeway or the exit ramp. We didn't notice noise from other guests either.

3. The elevator is old and pretty small, but the plus is that they repainted it during our stay to spruce it up.

4. The free breakfast is fine: hardboiled eggs, waffles, bagels, toast, cereal, yogurt. I prefer scrambled eggs, but that's not a major shortfall. There's a Marsh grocery store a few blocks away, and we got some frozen breakfast sandwiches instead. Other downtown hotels tend to charge a lot of money for breakfast in their restaurant.

5. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They are a fabulous asset.

6. It was about a 10 minute walk to the Convention Center, which is very handy.

For the price, this was a very good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Washington Street.
Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Rebecca K
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This one week stay at the LaQuinta Inn and Suites Indianapolis Downtown was frankly a disappointment.
The problem was in short poor maintenance, housekeeping, and breakfast. But more on this later - I want to start with the good points first (and there are).

The staff at this hotel is without a doubt one of the best of any hotel I have stayed in. They were all ex-
ceedingly courteous and helpful and went out of their way to help me with any issues I had as well as
with my intense sightseeing plans, in which they proved most knowledgeable of their city. I must single out the lovely Front Desk Manager Karen Lagunes, who was as courteous,cheerful and helpful as could be. Likewise, General Mnager Don Barton was equally helpful with anything questions or problems I had and resolved. I also wish to mention Savannah the appretnice at the front desk who was, you guessed it very helpful as welll, especially on my last night when she recommended a late night local restaurant
(Jimmy John's - great sandwiches!) that delivered to the hotel for my trip out of town the following day.

As to the location, the LQ is nowhere near as bad as many reviews indicate. It is to be sure on the east-
ern edge of downtown, but you are an easy safe walk to the city center in about 10 minutes. The only
thing I would caution about is that there is a small pocket park the block before the hotel in which
homeless sometimes congregate. I walked on the opposite side of the street and was fine. If you want
a hotel in the dead center of downtown the rates will reflect that. The LQ does have a welcome perk in
the fact that it has a deal with cab companies to charge a $5.00 flat fee to anywhere in the downtown
area. I took them up on this on my departure day to take me to the Greyhound terminal. Would that all hotels have a perk such as this! Once you are downtown, there are more restaurants and other eating
places than you could shake a stick at; the only thing to be aware of is that the smaller establish-
ments close at 5 P.M. Mon-Fri and around 3 P.M. Sat-Sun. There is also the immense Circle Center
mall downtown which I guarantee you will visit more than once and has several fine restaurants (P.F.
Chang's, Bella Vita (Italian) Champs, Harry and Izzie's and Ruths Chris Steak House as well as a food- court - and that's just in the mall! Also recommended is Rock Bottom Brewery across from the mall.

As to the rooms at the LQ, I chose the standard King. This was of a good enough size, not big but spa-
cious enough for a solo traveler like myself. The room was eqipped with a 32" flatscreen TV, a comfy
easy chair with ottoman, and a microwave and fridge (perfect for string that sandwich). My room was on the second floor (there are only three) with a fine view of downtown. But please beware that with tthe curtains open you are in view of the people and vehicular traffic on Washington Street. My main complaint and the reason for my rating of this hotel was that the room suffered from many housekeeping issues which though quickly resolved by the freindly staff (see above) could have been avoided by a quick check of the room before I arrived. What I found was a closet door off its track, a worn-out (but clean) toilet seat, a service door below the sink that was open, and lastly, no ironing board. This was supplied but was defective and fell on my feet one night (with no injury) but I did not use it again. But to be fair, these issues were all resolved as mentioned above (except the toilet seat). However, house- keeping goofed again on my final night. I returned late that night to find that there was no new soap, towels or floormat - I used a spare towel for that purpose. It appears that being the last night, house- keeping didn't seem to think they needed to replenish the room. Due to the lateness of the hour and being my last night, I just did the best I could. Please note that the closet in the standard room is so
small that the luggage stand would not fit when folded out - I just put my bag on the closet floor. Also
the sink is absolutely miniscule with just barely enough space for toiletries (it is seperate from the
toilet/shower area).

The property itself is old and shows its age and could certainly use some retouching in the interior and exterior walls. Oh and the elevator is to be seen to be believed!! This is by far the tiniest elevator I have
ever been in (about the size of a closet - no kidding)! It is hardly big enough for one person much less
two or more. This reminds me of a music video on YouTube called Awkwardness In An Elevator - yes,
indeed more than one person and you'll know more about them than you may want. I was told by Don,
the manager that in order to enlarge the elevator the hotel's side wall would have had to be demolished
to make room for a bigger elevator - so, they decided to make too. So you may find this eccentricity
either amusing or frustrating - you decide. I must also mention that the LQ is right in front of the Indian-
apolis Downtown heliport, so esp. during the night you may hear helicopters landing and departing. For
me this was minor as I was on the downtown facing side away from the heliport (and with a great city
view to match).... just so you know. And lastly, I would not recommend the interior facing rooms as they
face the motor court where the guests park their cars (you get the idea). Another issue was the busi-
ness center which had just one computer - I usually uesed it early in the morning or at night - I only
encountered one customer abusing his time who Mr. Barton quickly shooed away after addressed this
situation - good work! That said, the computers were very cheaply made and rattled against the desk
while I typed, and the internet connection was one of the slowest I have ever had. Not to mention the
fact that the business center had no door, so no real sense of privacy.

Lastly, the breakfast left a lot to be desired. There was a minimum selection of cereals, fruit, juice, and
pastries to choose from with no variety of offerings from day to day. And to top things off, on one morning
the items needed replenishing and the breakfast person was late in arriving - one of the front desk staff,
treid to help but could not find what what we needed, so we had to wait. Also, the serving tongs for the
waffles and pastries were laid on the counter instead of on a dish or plate - a potential health hazard as
I see it.

So, in summation, would I stay at the LQ Indianapolis Downtown again? Probably not, due to the house-
keeping and breakfast issues mentioned above (I'll put up with the elevator)! I would like to stay here
again because this hotel has the potential to be much better than it is, especially with the wonderful
front desk staff who frankly made my stay as pleasant as it was. The rooms as such are certainly not
bad but the housekeeping and maintenace issues need to be seriously addresed. And the breakfast
should also be revamped into something more substantial and appetizing. If I ever swing by Indy again,
I wold like to give the LQ another chance, but I will be paying close attention to the reviews.

P.S. Indy itself is a great place to vist - very underrated with lots of museums and attractions and some
of the freindliest people around.

Room Tip: Pick a room facing downtown (west facing for a view) or north facing (less of a view but still good...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank intrepidtrav
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This hotel is in a very old building and looks kind of rough from the outside. However, the rooms are very comfy and clean and the service is good. It is very convenient and affordable for downtown Indy.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I stayed at this location years ago when it was Days Inn. Bought through Hotwire as a 3 star but would personally say is more 2.5. The hotel staff is really great! They are friendly, attentive, and go out of their way to meet guests needs. Parking is available free with a side lot next to the hotel for larger vehicles. We had 3 rooms and they were sufficient for an overnight stay. Rooms had small refrigerator and microwave. However do not believe I would consider this facility for more than 2 nights due to the small size of room, bathroom, and elevators. Breakfast consisted of waffles, toast, hot & cold cereal, juice, milk, coffee, biscuits, and hard boiled eggs. I've stayed for months in hotels such as this serving this type of breakfast and the breakfast tends to change day to day. There is no eye appeal with the exterior but the lobby makes up for that. Location is okay, but would consider it at the edge of downtown, rating at 2 out of 5.

• Stayed: September 2012