“An acceptable motel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #66 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Boston, Massachusetts
“An acceptable motel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

I overheard the manager(?) offering a discount to someone for her next stay in return for a positive tripadvisor review, so take the glowing reviews with a grain of salt. I'm actually surprised they need these bribes and fake reviews, because it is an acceptable motel overall, providing most of the basics. My biggest problem was that for over $120/night I found it way overpriced for what it is. If you get a better price, go for it.

The positives: simple but okay breakfast typical in La Quinta/Best Western/Holiday Inn; a reasonably clean room; fridge and a basic coffee maker in the room. My room was quiet, but I got really lucky with that (see below). It's walking distance from the downtown attractions and the convention center, although it's not comfortably close.

The negatives: the wifi hardly ever worked; there's a lot of noise in all but a few rooms (the rooms facing the streets outside overlook a busy train track and a heliport and a major road, while the remaining rooms overlook motel's own parking lot -- the best option is probably a room facing the parking lot, but on the top floor). The immediate surroundings are seedy at best, nobody lives or walks around there (save for a few homeless folks), it's just parking lots and a jail. Most businesses around close early. Walking towards downtown it's 10 minutes of pray-that-you-don't-get-mugged before you get to the part that appears safe.

I'd only recommend this place it if you have no other affordable options (my case), or if it's under $100 a night, in which case it's a reasonable deal for a typical motel chain. It's almost 4 stars, but I got too annoyed with the wifi that hardly ever worked, so it's a 3.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms looking inwards (overlooking the parking lot) are the only ones in which you will be...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

I will preface this by saying that it's been a year since I stayed at this "hotel," but I am just catching up on tripadvisor.

We were in town for a wedding. I secured a great rate from Hotwire, and this is the only Hotwire fail I have had to date. It was a "three star" hotel at the time, but giving this place any stars is a stretch.
During the check-in: Had to wait 10 minutes while the clerk completed what was obviously a personal call followed by talking to friends at the front desk. Finally, he said, "Do you need something?" (Nah, I just need my room, don't let me bother you)
After the check-in: Rode the elevator from Hell to the second floor. It took a long time, and I wasn't even sure we would make it. This elevator fits one person comfortably and two like sardines.
At the Room: Went into the room, only to find someone was sleeping in there! So, we went back to the lobby via the Pony Express Elevator. Clerk was once again unavailable. Outside smoking and talking to friends. Asked for another room. He stated that the room was empty, so he went to check, only to find a non-empty room.
He gave us another room once he was finished with his social life.
Finally, when we were changed and ready for the hotel, the desk clerk said that there is a special cab hotel rate to where we were going for the wedding (8 blocks away). He claimed it was $5.
The fare was actually $8.50. I mentioned the "hotel special rate," and the cabbie stated there was no special rate from this hotel.

The room itself wasn't that great. The a/c wasn't working well, the bed smelled, and the remote control for the TV was busted. The only positive was the bathroom. It was clean, and the shower was great!

I guess you get what you pay for. I should have known this Hotwire deal was too good to be true!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rick M

Travellers are raving about these Indianapolis hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Much cheaper than other hotels in the area and they include free breakfast and parking. The man at the desk had perfect suggestions for dinner and a night out. Overall an amazing value. No complaints at all!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Fishers, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

I stayed here for one night in May of 2013.

Cons:
Outside of building looks unkept
Breakfast is meh
Elevator is cramped, slow, and ill-maintained

Pros:
Room was Clean & Tidy
Lobby was well kept
Pets allowed
Shower had 2 Settings: 1 for temperature & 1 for pressure
Location is good (Within walking distance if Adobo, Fogo, Cultural Trail, etc.)
Friends can park here for a small fee for a few hours if you ask the front desk and the hotel is not full (we did the Indy Brew Bus so this was extremely helpful to our friends).
Reasonable Cost

Overall, I was pleased and would stay here again for a one night stay downtown.

Room Tip: Elevator is small and slow, stay on a lower floor and take the stairs if needed.
Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ajohnsonwise
Quebec
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

I was there for 3 nights for the Brickyard 400. Hotel is clean and very close to downtown.The staff was very friendly and helpful. There is limited parking space inside but they have another parking on the side of the hotel.

Free breakfast was ok. Elevator is small but who cares! Free Wifi works great all 3 nights.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank kingpaddy99
Midwest USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

Spent one night here with a friend for a mini-trip to Indianapolis. Our main activity was seeing a minor league baseball game on the other side of downtown. This La Quinta appears to be on the far east end of the downtown area, but Indy isn't very big and walking to the ballpark on the far west-end was very dooable for two young adults in good shape (30 minutes or so). The hotel itself is definitely aged and worn and nothing impressive to look at from the outside or the lobby. The elevator looked ancient and even had an expired permit/certificate on it, so we took the stairs every time after check-in (we were on the third floor which I think is the top floor). The free breakfast was mediocre, even for a La Quinta breakfast. But most important for us is that it was clean, a good price for that weekend, and it included free parking. The staff we spoke with at check-in and check-out were nice to boot.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

The encounter began with the manager calling me and my husband liars. We booked through another outlet which requires you to call the hotel and ask for a different room. I did and he said I lied about calling and there was nothing he could do. I was upset but moved past it. When we finally received our room key, we walked in to find a half dead roach on the table. I was horrified and immediately called that same manager to see the nasty creature. Needless to say, we did not stay there. Nor will I ever stay at a La Quinta again. This is a disgusting hotel with extremely rude staff. I have never been so disrespected nor disgusted by a hotel in all of my travels.

• Stayed July 2013