“Good value and excellent location”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Indianapolis Downtown
Ranked #78 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 August 2013

3 friends and I stayed at this particular La Quinta last week and weekend. It was Gen Con 2013 and that means gaming from 9am to midnight for 3 nights and a busy Sunday till leaving. We have stayed here before and it's placement is a perfect balance of placement and cost. It is close enough to the Convention Center to walk (about 5-6 blocks) while still being very reasonably priced compared to those closer. Don Barton (the front desk manager) was particularly helpful with information about the restaurants in the area. He also helped us with Taxis and room juggling when we found we had a change in our numbers and schedule. The staff is friendly and the service impeccable. After a long day at the convention this La Quinta was our Oasis for sure.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Everyone was super friendly and helpful. One of the best stays we have ever had. Love the closeness to everything down. We were able to walk everywhere. Thank you for the great service. See you again next year.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I overheard the manager(?) offering a discount to someone for her next stay in return for a positive tripadvisor review, so take the glowing reviews with a grain of salt. I'm actually surprised they need these bribes and fake reviews, because it is an acceptable motel overall, providing most of the basics. My biggest problem was that for over $120/night I found it way overpriced for what it is. If you get a better price, go for it.

The positives: simple but okay breakfast typical in La Quinta/Best Western/Holiday Inn; a reasonably clean room; fridge and a basic coffee maker in the room. My room was quiet, but I got really lucky with that (see below). It's walking distance from the downtown attractions and the convention center, although it's not comfortably close.

The negatives: the wifi hardly ever worked; there's a lot of noise in all but a few rooms (the rooms facing the streets outside overlook a busy train track and a heliport and a major road, while the remaining rooms overlook motel's own parking lot -- the best option is probably a room facing the parking lot, but on the top floor). The immediate surroundings are seedy at best, nobody lives or walks around there (save for a few homeless folks), it's just parking lots and a jail. Most businesses around close early. Walking towards downtown it's 10 minutes of pray-that-you-don't-get-mugged before you get to the part that appears safe.

I'd only recommend this place it if you have no other affordable options (my case), or if it's under $100 a night, in which case it's a reasonable deal for a typical motel chain. It's almost 4 stars, but I got too annoyed with the wifi that hardly ever worked, so it's a 3.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms looking inwards (overlooking the parking lot) are the only ones in which you will be...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I will preface this by saying that it's been a year since I stayed at this "hotel," but I am just catching up on tripadvisor.

We were in town for a wedding. I secured a great rate from Hotwire, and this is the only Hotwire fail I have had to date. It was a "three star" hotel at the time, but giving this place any stars is a stretch.
During the check-in: Had to wait 10 minutes while the clerk completed what was obviously a personal call followed by talking to friends at the front desk. Finally, he said, "Do you need something?" (Nah, I just need my room, don't let me bother you)
After the check-in: Rode the elevator from Hell to the second floor. It took a long time, and I wasn't even sure we would make it. This elevator fits one person comfortably and two like sardines.
At the Room: Went into the room, only to find someone was sleeping in there! So, we went back to the lobby via the Pony Express Elevator. Clerk was once again unavailable. Outside smoking and talking to friends. Asked for another room. He stated that the room was empty, so he went to check, only to find a non-empty room.
He gave us another room once he was finished with his social life.
Finally, when we were changed and ready for the hotel, the desk clerk said that there is a special cab hotel rate to where we were going for the wedding (8 blocks away). He claimed it was $5.
The fare was actually $8.50. I mentioned the "hotel special rate," and the cabbie stated there was no special rate from this hotel.

The room itself wasn't that great. The a/c wasn't working well, the bed smelled, and the remote control for the TV was busted. The only positive was the bathroom. It was clean, and the shower was great!

I guess you get what you pay for. I should have known this Hotwire deal was too good to be true!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rick M

Travellers are raving about these Indianapolis hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Much cheaper than other hotels in the area and they include free breakfast and parking. The man at the desk had perfect suggestions for dinner and a night out. Overall an amazing value. No complaints at all!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Fishers, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I stayed here for one night in May of 2013.

Cons:
Outside of building looks unkept
Breakfast is meh
Elevator is cramped, slow, and ill-maintained

Pros:
Room was Clean & Tidy
Lobby was well kept
Pets allowed
Shower had 2 Settings: 1 for temperature & 1 for pressure
Location is good (Within walking distance if Adobo, Fogo, Cultural Trail, etc.)
Friends can park here for a small fee for a few hours if you ask the front desk and the hotel is not full (we did the Indy Brew Bus so this was extremely helpful to our friends).
Reasonable Cost

Overall, I was pleased and would stay here again for a one night stay downtown.

Room Tip: Elevator is small and slow, stay on a lower floor and take the stairs if needed.
Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends