“Horrible customer service”

Ranked #146 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
York, Pennsylvania
“Horrible customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband and I were traveling back from our wedding and stopped in Indianapolis for the night. Our two dogs were with us and we were looking for a reasonably priced hotel to stay at that would allow our furry family. When I went inside the man at the front desk was talking on his cell phone. I asked what the price was and if my dogs were allowed to stay. He informed me that dogs were allowed and I specifically asked if there were any extra fees for my dogs to which he responded there were no extra fees. We decided to stay- he swiped my card and took my ID all while taking a personal call on the phone and giving me poor customer service. I went out to get the dogs and walked through the lobby, with my husband, past the front desk, directly in front of the man, to go to our room. The following morning we were getting ready to leave when the same man follows me out into the parking lot, asking me what room number I was staying in. I told him what room I was in and he told me no dogs were allowed in there and he asked who checked me in. I informed him that he was the one who had checked me in the previous evening and I told him, at check-in, that I had dogs. He started to argue with me saying that did not happen and that my dogs were not allowed in the room he put us in. He then said I would need to pay an additional $20 for my dogs. I reiterated that I had asked about all these things the previous night and was put into the room after making him aware that our dogs would be staying with us. I told him that we were going to be leaving and then put my dogs into the car-- he rudely said "Oh my God!"and walked back into the building. I went back into the room to gather the rest of our things and was not in there for more than a minute before he started to call our room. We walked up to the front desk to check out and he started to tell us to pay the fee for the dogs again. My husband asked why we weren't informed of this at check-in and informed the man that we walked by him at the front desk with our dogs the previous evening, and no one said a word. It was only after my husband talked to him that he even waived the fee. As we walked out of the hotel he chanted that we were lying and not telling the truth. I truly think he was trying to take advantage of a young woman by upsetting me and then making me pay for additional fees, I highly doubt he would have reacted this way to a man. I have worked in customer service for the past 10 years and have never witnessed this kind of service. It is not our fault that we were put in the wrong room because the man was too busy talking on his cell phone to pay attention to what our needs were. Most places would admit that their staff made a mistake instead of arguing and shouting insults at their customers. Horrible customer service!

Room Tip: My husband and I were traveling back from our wedding and stopped in Indianapolis for the night. Our...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

I asked the manager to inspect the room before booking it and he allowed me to. The room and bathroom was clean. I had no issues with my stay there. If I could give any advice for improvement it would be to have coffee for guests (I don't know if they do or don't) and the manager didn't smile or try to seem welcoming.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Bianca R
owensboro
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

In arriving at the hotel with reservations and it pouring rain, we were given a room with two small full size beds. Our reservation was for 2 queen size beds. We were unable to pull up to the door because of people hanging out in the lobby blocking the covering so we were soaked unloading our things. When I requested the room I had reserved, we were told that customers that paid more would be getting the queen bed rooms. I am sorry, but if you make a reservation and it says 2 queen beds, should you not get what you are supposed to? The young man just said sorry and that the owners were in California and there was nothing he could do. A four hour trip. No room for us, and it was pouring rain. We spent almost an hour before we found a hotel that had 2 queen beds. I will never attempt to stay at one of these hotels again and I will advise anyone else not to do so either.

Room Tip: Do not choose this location. It will not be what you expect
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank rafferty2204
Naperville, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

Stayed here one night and was scared to death! Creepy, dirty, and unsafe. We needed a place to stay for Super Bowl and it was the only place available 6 months ago within 50 miles of Indy. We never imagined ANY hotel could be this bad. It really should be closed. If the health departments inspects hotels, this one could not possible pass inspection. The doors to the outside of the building didn't work and it is in a very shady area. Needless to say, we did not stay the second night....we just took off and didn't look back....would love my $300.00 back! But at least I am alive I guess............... Everything the last reviewer said is true. I wonder if there is someplace I could report this hotel to??????

Room Tip: No rooms are good!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank vrz
Clyde B, Manager at Royal Inn Indianapolis / Speedway, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
We would like to apologize for your bad experience at our hotel. We would like you to know that since you were here, we have replaced the management staff at the hotel. We have made many improvements and hope you will come back and give us another try.
Lansing, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

Don't stay here. I used a very popular online website to make reservations, paid online & received confirmation #. Got there at 3:30PM to check-in & waited in line for over 40 minutes (only 4 people ahead of me) as the 1 receiptionist was having problems checking people in. As I got closer to the front-desk I over heard the receptionist at check-in counter tell people the hotel was over-booked ESPECIALLY the online reservations at the popular website I used. I heard her tell the people in front of me that the rooms weren't ready yet, they didn't have enough clean towels for the rooms, customers complaining they didn't have hot water, receptionist having gansta clothes wearing "employee" (w/o uniform or ID saying he was employee) checking to see if room keys worked & whether rooms were "ready", some room keys worked on any room on the floor, complaining she was too busy all day & haven't eaten lunch yet, kept answering phone & arguing with aparently hotel employee who was suppose to be relieving her, etc. Before I got up to the counter found out that a motorcycle bike club booked most of the rooms & "started" their party early as music was blarring from down the hall as doors to the ball room were open & strong smell of marijuana. Believe me I was glad to find out my pre-paid confirmation didn't make it into their system!

Receptionist told me same thing I over heard -- the hotel was over booked & they didn't have my reservation. The online company I used to make the reservation called the hotel to talk with me to inform me of the "bad" news & upgraded me to a different much nicer, cleaner & respectible hotel a few miles away (thank god).

Room Tip: You get what you pay for! Anything in the $50 - $70 range is going to be a pit of a place. Spring...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Pete T
Reliance, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

We were there for a total of 30 minutes and we felt totally unsafe! We left and went to another hotel. It looks like a shaddy hotel. It wouldnt suprise me if people are dealing drugs out of the hotel. Its not a place for families with children. Also they advertise having 2 pools and we only saw one and it is empty. All I can say is DONT STAY THERE there is a Value Place 15 miles from there and its worth it to go a little out of the way.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Maranda777
abvispeed, Manager at Royal Inn Indianapolis / Speedway, responded to this review, 29 June 2011
We are sorry for any inconvienence you may have experienced the short time you visited. We are looking into your complaints and making the neccesary adjustments to ensure there are no cleaning or safety issues.
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

had to ask for maid service?had to ask for wash clothes and towels,was told it would be at least an hour before i could get them?they advertise cable tv ,but,there is no espn,there is no breakfast in the mornings,as far as coffee i had to ask, the first time i was there, if they could make some,looked at me like i was asking him to do me a favor,they should be put out of business,hell motel 6 is better and at least at the dollar inn, you can get some coffee,this is without a doubt the worst place i have ever stayed AND WILL NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN AS FAR AS PRICE IS CONCERNED I WISHED I HAD STAYED AT THE HOLIDAY INN,DONT STAY THERE UNLESS THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE,THIS MOTEL SHOULDNT EVEN BE ON ANY LISTINGS

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank dudg
I apologize for any dissatisfaction you may have experienced during your stay. Please be assured we are investigating the staff that were on shift and retrainning them so these issues do not happen again.