“race day”

Royal Inn Indianapolis / Speedway
Ranked #145 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This place stunk!! No, coffee..
Room very stinky my cloths reek..
Room in poor repair cracked n peeling . One little towel.
Rude staff. Aweful expensive for crappy room an service. Recommend not to stay there

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Carolsmithley1
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This was nothing like the photos. It was very dirty, and it smelled. I was in fear for my life just walking in the place. We were heckled by people as we approached the front desk. The front desk was a mess, and no one showed up right away. There was no elevator and the carpeted stairs were filthy. The bedspread had cigarette burn holes in it, and the room smelled worse than the lobby. We turned around and left, and were glad to get out of there without further incidence. We would not have slept anyway in fear from the other people in the hotel.

Room Tip: totally awful - do not book
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GATraveler899
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband and I were traveling back from our wedding and stopped in Indianapolis for the night. Our two dogs were with us and we were looking for a reasonably priced hotel to stay at that would allow our furry family. When I went inside the man at the front desk was talking on his cell phone. I asked what the price was and if my dogs were allowed to stay. He informed me that dogs were allowed and I specifically asked if there were any extra fees for my dogs to which he responded there were no extra fees. We decided to stay- he swiped my card and took my ID all while taking a personal call on the phone and giving me poor customer service. I went out to get the dogs and walked through the lobby, with my husband, past the front desk, directly in front of the man, to go to our room. The following morning we were getting ready to leave when the same man follows me out into the parking lot, asking me what room number I was staying in. I told him what room I was in and he told me no dogs were allowed in there and he asked who checked me in. I informed him that he was the one who had checked me in the previous evening and I told him, at check-in, that I had dogs. He started to argue with me saying that did not happen and that my dogs were not allowed in the room he put us in. He then said I would need to pay an additional $20 for my dogs. I reiterated that I had asked about all these things the previous night and was put into the room after making him aware that our dogs would be staying with us. I told him that we were going to be leaving and then put my dogs into the car-- he rudely said "Oh my God!"and walked back into the building. I went back into the room to gather the rest of our things and was not in there for more than a minute before he started to call our room. We walked up to the front desk to check out and he started to tell us to pay the fee for the dogs again. My husband asked why we weren't informed of this at check-in and informed the man that we walked by him at the front desk with our dogs the previous evening, and no one said a word. It was only after my husband talked to him that he even waived the fee. As we walked out of the hotel he chanted that we were lying and not telling the truth. I truly think he was trying to take advantage of a young woman by upsetting me and then making me pay for additional fees, I highly doubt he would have reacted this way to a man. I have worked in customer service for the past 10 years and have never witnessed this kind of service. It is not our fault that we were put in the wrong room because the man was too busy talking on his cell phone to pay attention to what our needs were. Most places would admit that their staff made a mistake instead of arguing and shouting insults at their customers. Horrible customer service!

Room Tip: My husband and I were traveling back from our wedding and stopped in Indianapolis for the night. Our...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I asked the manager to inspect the room before booking it and he allowed me to. The room and bathroom was clean. I had no issues with my stay there. If I could give any advice for improvement it would be to have coffee for guests (I don't know if they do or don't) and the manager didn't smile or try to seem welcoming.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Bianca R
owensboro
Reviewed 20 August 2012

In arriving at the hotel with reservations and it pouring rain, we were given a room with two small full size beds. Our reservation was for 2 queen size beds. We were unable to pull up to the door because of people hanging out in the lobby blocking the covering so we were soaked unloading our things. When I requested the room I had reserved, we were told that customers that paid more would be getting the queen bed rooms. I am sorry, but if you make a reservation and it says 2 queen beds, should you not get what you are supposed to? The young man just said sorry and that the owners were in California and there was nothing he could do. A four hour trip. No room for us, and it was pouring rain. We spent almost an hour before we found a hotel that had 2 queen beds. I will never attempt to stay at one of these hotels again and I will advise anyone else not to do so either.

Room Tip: Do not choose this location. It will not be what you expect
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank rafferty2204
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Stayed here one night and was scared to death! Creepy, dirty, and unsafe. We needed a place to stay for Super Bowl and it was the only place available 6 months ago within 50 miles of Indy. We never imagined ANY hotel could be this bad. It really should be closed. If the health departments inspects hotels, this one could not possible pass inspection. The doors to the outside of the building didn't work and it is in a very shady area. Needless to say, we did not stay the second night....we just took off and didn't look back....would love my $300.00 back! But at least I am alive I guess............... Everything the last reviewer said is true. I wonder if there is someplace I could report this hotel to??????

Room Tip: No rooms are good!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank vrz
Clyde B, Manager at Royal Inn Indianapolis / Speedway, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
We would like to apologize for your bad experience at our hotel. We would like you to know that since you were here, we have replaced the management staff at the hotel. We have made many improvements and hope you will come back and give us another try.