“Nice, but inconvenient for Accessibility Requirements”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Indianapolis - Downtown
Ranked #103 of 186 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I booked a stay here for a conference in town. The conference endorsed this hotel and said it was connected to the convention center, where the conference was located. I booked this hotel months before the conference. Well about 6 weeks before the conference I broke my ankle. I chose to still attend the conference because everything was connected. However my stay at the Embassy Suites in Downtown Indianapolis presented some challenges and frustrations due to my current accessibility needs. The hotel entrance is via a parking garage. The ramp to get to the entrance level is awkward to get to, at a far end with not resting point at the bottom, and is extremely steep. Coming down the ramp is frankly scary. The lobby of the hotel is one level up from the level you enter on via the parking garage. Most patrons use the escalator. However anyone unable to use an escalator must use an elevator that is also used as a service elevator. Access to the convention center and mall attached required I use this special elevator every time, as the main hotel elevators don't go to this floor. It is out of the way and inconvenient, especially when having to wait 5+ minutes in the morning for the only elevator that will take me where I need to go. This is also the only way possible to get to the street level. And on the morning I waited 5 minutes for the elevator, the connecting mall elevator to get to street level wasn't working and wasn't marked in any way either.

Upon check-in the hotel staff also didn't has an accessible room available as originally requested on the reservation. My companion that checked in was also questioned about the need for the accessible room, with no visible disability or impairment. This was rude and unprofessional to ask. I should not have had to go to the desk to prove my need of an accessible room. The space is the accessible room is large and easy to access, including the bathroom. However the bed situation is frustrating. It is not noted online that an accessible room only contains one double bed and a twin. This worked for our party, but it may not work for everyone.

Overall the stay was nice and the room was nice. But I was often frustrated as someone with limited mobility at how inaccessible friendly the hotel really is. I am unsure if I would stay here again, based on this experience.,

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Abi K
Write a ReviewReviews (1,476)

Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is average at best. I loved the location and breakfast wasn't bad either. The hotel and rooms really could use some updating. I wish they had better beds like you find in Hampton Inn or the Garden Inn Hilton Hotels. The rooms feel worn and dated. It really isn't as nice as some Embassy Suites I have stayed at. If the budget is a concern this hotel won't dissapoint. If comfort/amenities are more important I would chose the Conrad next door.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Having never visited Indianapolis I was uncertain where the best place to stay would be, but I was pleasantly surprised to find the ES was located in the heart of downtown within walking distance of many restauraunts and shops. The hotel was adjacent to the mall and made a perfect starting point for an early morning run through downtown. I was fortunate to get a corner suite which provided me with a two room suite and a perfect view of the city. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Go for the corner suites...they're much quieter and a great view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We had so many issues with this stay. There was MOLD in the room, non working locks on the doors, outdated rooms, and the ventilation system was poor. I usually love the Embassy Suites but this hotel did not live up the usual quality of the name. It was disappointing overall.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
ESManagementTeam, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Indianapolis - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. I appreciate your candor; we look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and our guest suite is an area we are actively examining. I apologize for all of the issues you encountered.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

The overall experience at The Embassy was great! The ONLY downfall of the whole trip was the heating in the suites. It wasn't only hot in the room it was humid! It really made me sad actually because the rooms are beautiful and that just really put a damper on things because none of my family can sleep when they're hot. Everything else was simply amazing though!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We were going to Indy for the Big 10 men's basketball tournament March 13-16, 2014. We had the opportunity to get a room at the Omni for $30 per night less than we were going to pay at Embassy Suites, and we said no! We love the Embassy Suites in downtown Indy! We come back to this property every year the Big 10 men's basketball tournament is in town. You're treated so well during your visit.

Check-in is always smooth! I had three gift cards we wanted to use toward the hotel bill, and it's always a fiasco when I've used them at other properties (don't get me started!), but the people at Embassy's front desk knew exactly what to do to use them, and it was seamless! We couldn't believe it.

Our phone buttons didn't work once we got to the room, but Jerry replaced our phones immediately. We love the spaciousness of the suites, and the added value of the coffee maker, microwave and mini-fridge is beyond expectations.

The location is absolutely perfect -- a quick walk to the Bankers Life Arena, and close to so many things. We just love it.

Staff always kind and fun to be around. We love Beth in Housekeeping, and we also hope Jeff the Bartender never leaves. His great service and friendly demeanor keep us coming back. Breakfast and manager's receptions top notch. We just love it here!

We love how Indy embraces its basketball heritage and loves hosting the Big 10 Tournament. We will NOT attend when it's in Chicago, even though it's a much closer drive for us. Chicago doesn't know how to host like Indy. Chicago is not walkable, and the neighborhood around the United Center is downright scary. No one in Chicago knows why you're there. In Indy, they roll out the red carpet for us.

Again, we can't say enough about the Embassy Suites. They welcome us back every other year, and we feel like we're "home!"

Room Tip: Corner suites are roomy
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Great location. We were on a college visit to Butler U. and it was a great place to start our introduction to Indianapolis. It was cold (Febr) and a shirt sleeve walk to the Mall stores and restaurants was very welcome.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family