“Fair to okay Embassy Suites that needs to be improved.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Indianapolis - Downtown
Ranked #89 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
St. Louis MO
“Fair to okay Embassy Suites that needs to be improved.”
Reviewed 14 April 2009

While the Downtown Embassy Suites is not a horrible hotel, it does need to be improved.

First of all; whoever designed the front entrance needs to go back to architecture school. When you arrive you are greeted by steps as well as an almost unusable winding luggage ramp. Plus one you get up the stairs you must take an escalator up to the main lobby level. If you have to use a luggage cart you must use the smelly service elevator.

Check in took a while as the woman at the front counter seemed to have a troubling time getting us taken care of.

We did get the room requested. Since others stated there were elevator problems we asked for a low floor. Level 4 is the lobby. Meeting rooms are on the 5th and the 6th to 20th levels are guest rooms.

We did find the heating and cooling controls to be extremely odd for a modern hotel. It poses a problem trying to get the room comfortable; especially in a swing month like April where you never know what the weather will be. We had to open the window to get cool air and this was not good as our room overlooked an large A/C unit for the Weber Grill restaurant.

The lighting in the bathroom was very good. Women doing makeup will appreciate the light.

High speed internet was good. But I find it annoying to be charged $11.95/day.

The parking garage was a bit of an issue. The ceiling is low and the whole thing is very narrow. People in SUVs will have a hard time navigating and most of the times have to take up two parking spaces. Plus the elevators were out of order and the whole place is underlit.

The hotel location can’t be beat though. Plenty of dining and shopping options all within a short distance.

The room was clean and well taken care off. Typical Embassy Suites layout.

Decent selection of TV channels. The living are features a nice, new 37” LG brand HDTV: but only standard def channels are available.

At a low price the hotel is an okay option: but if possible I would recommend looking elsewhere. However if you are stuck with staying here, it is certainly passable.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dweebe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
debra4107travels
Reviewed 20 January 2009

We stayed at the Embassy Suites Downtown during Jamfest January 16 thru 17 2009

My family was four teenage girls. The accomodation were top notch.

I was very impressed that the staff handle over 900 girls at check in and also breakfast. The staff was friendly helpful and in some cases very patience with the girls.

We will be staying there the next time we come to Indianapolis

• Liked — location to convention center
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank debra4107travels
northwest indiana
Reviewed 12 January 2009

We have stayed at this Embassy several times and we always seemed to enjoy ourselves, but the last few stays, including this one, were less than enjoyable. Our most recent stay was Thankgiving weekend 2008 for 2 nights with our 2 children and my mother and father in law. I am a Hilton Honors Gold member and other than a few occasions, we always stay with the Hilton chain. The hotel staff are all very friendly and accommodating, it is the hotel itself that needs some improvement. The elevators are painfully slow. It always seemed to take at least 10 minutes to get an elevator and hope that there was room to get on. My advice, whether you are going up or down, get on the first one that comes or you could be waiting a while. One evening we returned to find that my in-laws room key would not work so I went down to the front desk to have it fixed. It took me 25 minutes to get to the desk, have the card fixed (which only took about 3 mins.) and return to the room. Another problem is the climate control rooms. In the winter, you can only use the heat and at other times of the year, only the air conditioning works. The room was miserably hot throughout our stay. The bedroom window can be opened, but with 2 kids and a room on the 17th floor, we did not want to take a chance. The first night we went down to the pool, there were dirty towels everywhere, and not a clean one to be found when we got out. One hot tub did not work, and the other one was all foamy and disgusting looking. Thinking it would be better the second night, we went back down. Same thing, one broken, and the other disguisting. The pool is way too cold, so I sat and watched the kids swim. It was cleaned up and towels were available this time. The breakfast is ok, but the offering had changed. There used to be waffles available, but were not offered while we there. Also, no bagels or flavored hot teas, only Lipton. I appreciate that they offer the free breakfast, but lately the hotel has been priced higher than even the Hilton, which offers a nice bed and breakfast rate for usually a lower rate than the Embassy. The Queen deluxe room at the hilton is like a mini suite. All in all the stay was just ok, but with so many Hilton brands available in the downtown area, I think we will go with one of the other ones next time. I realize it was a holiday weekend, but we have been down at other times and it always seems to be overrun with some sort of event. We have stayed at the Hilton before and it was very nice and the Conrad looks absolutely fabulous. If you are travelling with a group and can get a good rate, this is probably a good choice. If you are travelling with family and want a nice relaxing weekend of swimming and shopping, I would try the hilton or Conrad.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — SLOW elevator, hot and stuffy room improperly working hot tubs
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank MEMBERNWIN

Travellers are raving about these Indianapolis hotels

Los Angeles
Reviewed 10 January 2009

Stayed there during a football weekend. The game (despite being a blowout) beat the hotel by a mile.

First off, there was a computer glitch that hamstrung the reservations desk terribly upon our arrival. There were dozens of people milling around, waiting for rooms. It was a matter of "get into a line and pray."

I was lucky enough to get into a quicker (but not quick) line, which afforded me a mere 45 minute wait. The guy in the line next to me (who had been there for hours, he said) went ballistic. Partially at me. In one respect, I can't blame him. They did not have enough staff for each line, so they were bouncing back and forth. Because my line was the Hilton Honors line, I guess they were keeping one person on that at all times. Bad move...and one that led to a lot of anger.

While I grant that their computer system was out of their control, they absolutely botched trying to do it without the technology. How do I know? We were one of several parties who were given a room, given a key, and then promptly headed off to a room...already occupied by another family. It was the most bizarre experience I have ever had in travel.

So, we headed back downstairs, where the throng was still mostly assembled. At one point, all of the reservations staff disappeared for nearly half an hour. My guess is that they were meeting in the back wondering what the heck to do. Every now and again, the manager (who, and I should not hold this against him, looked to be about 19) said we'd be helped in "five or ten minutes".

After nearly another hour, we were finally assigned a room that was UNOCCUPIED. We asked for the manager, we were told he would call us. We're still waiting.

The room was fine (good view of the Capitol dome), but was in some disrepair. Shoddy TV reception, bathroom was a little dirty, etc.

The stay did not improve substantially. Housekeeping did not arrive. Ever. Maybe they clean every third day, or something. We were out of the room from 10 AM til 7 PM on our second day, so I don't think it was us. Breakfast at Embassy Suites is usually a high point. The food was adequate, but lines were impossibly long, and there was little or no silverware available on either day. Parking was steep ($20 a night), but in a downtown area I suppose that is to be expected, to an extent.

Embassy Suites is usually my first option when I book a hotel. This one--poorly run, showing its age--almost makes me want to rethink that strategy a bit.

• Liked — Location, Convenience
  • Disliked — Check-In, Service, Poorly Organized Breakfast Area
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank SteveinSoCal
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed 31 December 2008

If you're planning on staying in downtown Indianapolis then pick a different hotel. This Embassy Suites is very sub-par. We've stayed at several Embassy Suites, and even Hampton Inns that are MUCH better than this one. The front desk staff was truly unhelpful. They could not answer any questions we had and seemed annoyed that we were asking. My wife and I came for a 2 night getaway and found the hot tubs that we were looking forward to using both empty and unusable. We asked at the front desk about them and the woman mumbled something about them being worked on. The next morning they were still empty and we found out they've been waiting on a part and won't be open anytime soon. As a Gold level Hilton Honors member we get a few perks but the front desk could not answer any of our questions about that.

The room, which is a suite, was nicely decorated but not real clean. There was an empty glass on the window sill and a cap from shampoo still in the shower. The hotel lobby and breakfast areas were also not very clean. Lots of dirt in the corners, sticky salt and pepper shakers, etc.

We were extremely disappointed in the managers reception that is a standard part of Embassy Suites. It was pretzels, chips and salsa and a veggie tray. At other Embassy suites we've had all that plus hot entrees like meatballs, wings, stuffed mushrooms, etc. Not here though.

The breakfast was OK but laid out very poorly. You can get a omelet made to order but it is in the same window as the serve yourself bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs and potatoes area so if two people were waiting on omelets then everyone else in line had to wait even if they wanted to serve themselves and move on. Silverware, cups, syrup, bowls, etc. were all spread out over the area so you had to hunt for each piece and zig zag around making the flow even worse. The oatmeal which I was looking forward to having had it's lid open and had formed a nice hard crust on top from it drying out. Once you got past the crust the oatmeal was thicker than plaster. I passed.

The hotel is connected to Circle Center shopping mall. We had some questions about restaurants in the mall or surrounding areas and my wife wanted to know about the Broad Ripple area she had heard about. We could not find a concierge so we asked the front desk staff and again they were unable to help us.

One of our perks by being gold members was free internet access but when the bill showed up it had the charges on there so I had to go back to the desk to get that removed. The internet access is really bad. I am a techy and I could not get it to work so I finally called the help number which is not in the hotel. They were able to solve my problem. You can either register with your last name and room number or your Hilton Honors number, pin and room number. I was trying the latter and it would not connect. That portion of the service isn't working anymore so you have to use last name and room number. So why do they still give you a choice?? The worst part of their internet service is that they spoof any internet searches you do and present you with results that look right but redirect you to various risky sales sites for antivirus tools, vitamins, and other shopping sites. This was using a google search toolbar and also going first to the Google site and issuing a search. Be very careful using searches!!

The room was extremely hot and you cannot cool it down during the winter months other than by opening the window. Being on the 17th floor the high winds made the window open and close violently making a ton of noise so we tried to prop it open with a magazine but it still sucked shut and blew open, just not as loudly. It cooled down some but we could not leave it like that to sleep so we had to deal with the hot room all night. We had the heat turned completely off and were still too warm.

I now wish I had booked a Hampton Inn. I was wanting to make this a nice getaway for my wife but Embassy Suites put a damper on that. There are several other hotels in the area and I would suggest you try them instead.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank gbsinkers
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 29 December 2008

Very long lines at counter (over an hour wait), all phones in building were not working, room okay but there was hair stuck to the side of the shower, the waits for the elevators were horrendous and when you finally had one open for you it was full, we ended up taking the stairs hidden in the vending room half the time, building was noisy...... Theres also an entrance to a bar at the bottom of the atrium, right inside the doors of the embassy. At one point during the night, a group of about 50-75 people, all rough looking and very noisy, came into the atrium to enter this bar. The bar had been closed but this group insisted on bum rushing the entrance. We honestly did not feel safe. We have stayed at Embassy Suites before and this is the first time we have been unhappy with our experience. If you are going to stay in Indianapolis, and can spare a little extra cash, stay at the Conrad. Much better quality and service.

• Liked — The breakfast was decent
  • Disliked — cleanliness, elevators, safety
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rareform
Ohio
Reviewed 26 June 2008

This was our 3rd visit to the hotel. Love the location in downtown Indy - connected to the mall and walking distance to most everything.

The previous 2 visits (2004 & 2006) were pretty average. This experience was different from the moment we pulled up. The employee at the front door came right out and held the door for us and directed us to the front desk. We were checked in by Brandon, who asked us our reason for visiting. We told him it was a little get-away for our 25th anniversary. Got to our room which is a typical Embassy Suites room - a little dated - but overall nice and clean. Upon returning from dinner out, arrived in our room to find a bottle of champagne, a plate of strawberries and whipped cream and a very nice hand written card from Brandon wishing us a very happy anniversary! It was such a wonderful surprise and gesture.

The rest of the visit was just as nice. Every employee we encountered was very friendly and seemed genuinely interested in helping us. Breakfast and Happy Hour were very good also.

It really seems like they either have new management (since 2006) or they have had additional training on customer service. We would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple