“Good location, high noise level.”

Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #29 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Louisville, Kentucky
“Good location, high noise level.”
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I booked this hotel for two nights as part of running the Indianapolist 500 festival half-marathon. The hotel is indeed built from an old renovated train station, and it is still active. Trains do occasionally rumble through the active station nearby. To their credit, the front desk staff does warn every guest checking in about the trains during check in. The noise level from these trains ranges from a barely detectable hum to a mildly earth-shaking vibration. The front desk staff were courteous and helpful. Wireless internet was free; there's a 4-digit wifi access code which they will write on your key envelope at check in. The location is excellent. It can be found right next to the Indiana Convention Center, accessible via Skywalk from the Circle Centre Mall and other downtown highlights, also in close proximity to Lucas Oil Stadium. I did not try the Pullman Restaurant in the hotel, so I cannot speak for that.

My main problem with the hotel was not the train noise, but the amount of noise through the walls. I was placed in Rm 146, which is beside the indoor pool/hot tub on the ground floor. The walls are paper-thin, and EVERY sound can be clearly heard. That includes the family full of kids who splash and scream in the pool starting at day break, or the graduation party a couple doors down screaming at each other to take shots at 2 am. (Both these happened on my stay; the loud children being clearly audible all morning and afternoon in the pool was a recurring theme.) The room itself was clean enough, with basic amenities. Like any budget hotel anywhere, really. Is a fine location and a decent price in downtown Indianapolis, but if a good night or morning of sleep is important to you and noise bothers you...you might look elsewhere.

Room Tip: The farther away from the pool you can get, the better.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TFUltimate
, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, 24 June 2012
First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at out hotel. We are pleased you liked the location of our hotel as well as our friendly hotel staff. We take pride in our level of service, cleanliness and location of our hotel. I am sorry you did not enjoy your overall experience with us due to the noise from our other guests. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N.
IHG Care

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 May 2012

First... all the windows overlook the interior lobby. The lobby is nice. Things that are bad:
A- Severely out of date rooms. Ceiling damaged, framing showing around mini-fridge, and closet doors that don't stay on track. Everything, minus the TV, needs to be replaced, even linens.
B- Being in an active train station is not "quaint" I was woken up multiple times a nite by the noise and shaking. I live in NYC and can normally sleep through most distractions.
C- Executive level is basically in the lobby, closest to the trains
D- Staff was pleasant, but could use an update in self presentation
E- Executive club's sparse offerings
F- too much bleach in the towels

Sorry to be so negative, but this was truly a strange and disappointing hotel. My limited interaction with staff proved them to be friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor. Turn down executive club upgrades.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank djr311
, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Dear djr311,

Thank you for the detailed review of our hotel. I'm sorry your stay was negatively affected by the noise levels at the hotel, and accommodations received. However, I am pleased to see your interactions with the staff were a high point. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction. We do hope to host you in the future.

Irish V.
IHG Care
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Stayed for a weekend; if you get one of the train car rooms, do it! They are cool and the kids will never forget. Nice indoor pool and gym too. Food on breakfast buffet was great but bit pricy. You are close enough to walk to the downtown mall, and see many of the sights.

Room Tip: Get one of the train car rooms, very unique
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Johnston, Iowa
Reviewed 9 May 2012

My wife and I travel quite often, and this hotel ranks high on the "worst hotels" list for us...for a number of reasons.

First, the set up of the hotel and its rooms is difficult to appreciate. As other reviewers have stated, the hotel is built into a former train station. Because of this, the rooms are almost all facing inward with a single window opening to the lobby or the pool area. This means that the rooms feel like a cave with no view of the outside. It also means you have little privacy, as people in the lobby are walking and sitting directly outside almost all of the guest rooms. Our room in particular was located above the pool, where we not only had no privacy but we also had no silence. Finally, you hear trains rattling your entire room constantly. Some may love this, but given how bad everything else was...I did not.

The rooms and the hotel itself are all in disrepair. The ceilings are marked with water damage, the walls are marred, and in general the hotel feels worse for wear. Our room in particular was dirty and we experienced the dirty towels others have noted. There's also the issue of amenities in the rooms themselves. Our standard room had a single (yes, one) outlet that was not behind a bed or the TV stand. Our bathroom was not great either, as it was small and dingy (a theme for this hotel).

In addition, the service wasn't great. Our friends staying with us had issues getting their room clean, and I couldn't call the front desk (or anyone, for that matter) because our phone's programmed buttons did not work. When I was finally able to call the valet, the phone rang and rang only for me to walk downstairs and find two staff members standing and doing nothing. Essentially, the only nice thing I can say about the Crowne Plaza is that we had hot water. Not high praise.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hawks80
, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, 23 June 2012
Dear Hawks80,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in the Crowne Plaza and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay.

Connie D
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I paid $230 a night here, which was ridiculous for this kind of hotel. Decor is dated, no exterior windows, and it is part of a train station, so you will hear rumbling throughout the night. It is ok if it were $100 cheaper but is a total ripoff for what I paid.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Velvetgemini
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear Velvetgemini,

Thank you for your your stay and leaving us feedback. We are deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Reviewed 2 May 2012

The room itself isn't bad, and I kinda liked that I could use my tablet as a remote control for the tv so that I wouldn't have to look at a channel list, but the towels were dingy and small, and it drove me crazy that the one towel bar was not only right above the toilet, but low enough that I was worried the towels would touch the toilet. I did like the convenience to my conference (as in a few steps away), but downtown indianapolis doesn't seem to be where the action is, and I was quite eager to leave.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank EvilIncarnate
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear EvilIncarnate,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We're sorry you were not fully satisfied with the accommodations received. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I stayed in a 2 double bed room with a coworker for a convention. Very competitively priced for a downtown hotel, and the accommodations were in better shape than many of the established hotels. I love the fact that it is "short" hotel, so there are no long lines and wait times for elevators. Staff were all helpful and friendly on the minor issues we encountered, and a post-stay request via email brought a helpful response within hours. As a history buff, I loved the atmosphere, and didn't even notice the trains going through. We were warned that we might feel some vibrations, but if there were, we didn't notice them. Will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool can be quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business