“Cool hotel but needs updating...”

Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #27 of 180 Hotels in Indianapolis
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Cool hotel but needs updating...”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

First let me start off by explaining that I did not spend the night at this hotel. Rather, I spent a lot of time inside it because that was where my work conference was held. However, I observed enough of the place to write a pretty thorough review.
Positives: The hotel is really unique. I liked the location because it was near many places to eat on our lunch break. Like everyone else said, it's a cool piece of history, and if you like places that are historical or just "different" you may like this hotel. The lobby is especially interesting and pretty. The conference facilities were really nice. Good food offerings and they kept the temps comfortable. The staff seemed nice except for one exception which I will get to in a moment.
Negatives: There is a worn and overused feel to the place. Carpet is worn and everything aside from the entry feels like it needs refreshed. I understand you want to keep the place accurately historical, but there was a sort of...old smell. I have been in many historical hotels and this one just doesn't have the feel of a place where money is spent to keep it immaculate. Okay, here is the biggest issue: We are sitting in the conference room when suddenly a loud roar is heard overhead and the whole room shakes. That's the train coming in over top of the building. Very distracting to our session, and it happened on the hour. I can only imagine how it must of been to sleep in that commotion. My friends that stayed there were not too pleased. I chose to stay at a hotel down the block because I did my Tripadvisor research. I did peak in a room that had the door open for maid service and it looked clean but a bit dated as far as the furnishings. I saw a small indoor pool and hot tub. They looked clean and nice but they were quite small. One last thing--I had lunch on property in the little place by the front entrance. The service was horrible. Our waiter kept forgetting to bring us stuff we requested, and then he would disapear and forget to check on us. Food took forever--no refills--and when it came it was underwhelming considering how much it cost. The place was semi empty so I do not know what the issue was...but that was my only negative interaction with any staff person. I would consider staying here because it wasn't that bad--except for that train noise!!

Room Tip: I heard the traincar rooms are really cool.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 July 2012 via mobile

The hotel is in the middle of downtown Indianapolis within walking distance of almost everything. The rooms are clean, but can be a little on the small side. Some rooms have no windows bc the hotel was created within the limitations of the already standing train station. If a train car room is available stay in one of those! How unique and fun:)
The hotel has a great area for wedding receptions and other large events.
Perfect if you are attending a concert or sporting event! Good value for the money.

• Stayed August 2011
fort wayne, Indiana, USA
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Took my family of 4 to this hotel so we could visit the nearby zoo and childrens museum. The location is perfect. The staff was mostly very nice. However, the pool was VERY COLD...too cold for us to swim for long. The hot tub was gross and outdated. This was mentioned to a couple hotel employees (not a manager) and they shrugged it off as if it was normal.

Also, after I returned home, I found that my credit card number was stolen and a charge of $2000 was put through. I can only assume it was stolen by someone at this hotel as this was the only place I used the card in the last several months and the fraudulent transaction came through the day after we checked out and expressed our dissatisfaction.

We stayed in a train car room, which was interesting. Not much room to move around and the bathroom did not have an exhaust fan, therefore, it smelled very musty and mildewy when we took our showers. I would not recommend paying the extra money for this room. We never heard a train, although we were warned we might.

The staff was mostly very nice, the location is great for the zoo and museum. There is also a Starbucks across the street and restaurants within walking distance.

I called and spoke to a manager after returning home to notify them of our concerns. He credited me with $50 to make up for the stolen card and unheated pool.

Overall, great location - crummy hotel stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Dear purplelvr13,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry about your credit card and the swimming pool. I understand the discomfort this caused you. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Wilbraham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Traveling with my 11yo son. We went to the children's museum during the day and needed overnight accommodations. We booked via priceline auction and our bid of $60 was accepted. Front desk check-in was quick and friendly. We asked for a room by the pool and received a room right in the middle of the hotel, next to the pool. Perfect for us. Noise was a bit loud -- pool was crowded, but it closed right at 10pm and we were in it ourselves from 8:30-9:30 so it wasn't an issue for us. The spa had quite a bit to be desired, looked very dated. (the main reason that I gave this hotel a ranking of 4 instead 5) We did not hear the trains at all. I liked the uniqueness of the hotel. Wish I would have walked around a bit before we checked in, to see what the train cars were actually like. (they are on the 2nd floor). I would have probably asked to stay in one of those, however with the priceline bid not sure if that was an option or not. Lots of restaurant options within walking distance. Parking is not included and a bit pricey. However we found on street parking and did that. Room was very spacious (except for the bathroom), beds were comfy and room was clean. Free internet in the rooms as well. Also, breakfast is not included at this hotel. I would recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor right in the middle of the hotel and I liked it.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Martinsville, Indiana
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Love the train cars. Our second stay here, love the nostaligic feel and look of the Crowne Plaza Union Station. From the statues to the train cars, everything is wonderful. It is clean, comfortable, quiet and private. Short walk to Circle Centre for shopping and dining.

Room Tip: Choose a train car, they are slightly more expensive than the traditional room, but well worth the e...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
florida
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We stayed here during our recent trip to Indianapolis. The executive level room was large and spacious. Beds were comfortable. Furniture is a bit worn and the arm chair was stained. Tub drain ran slow. Even though others have said they heard noise from the train it was never a factor for us. We did hear it and it did awaken us at night but only for a couple of minutes. Our room was by the pool and we appreciated how the staff would close it down promptly at 10:00 so we could get some sleep. Our only complaint is that the continental breakfast and managers reception included with our Priority Club was poorly stocked. We had to continually call the desk and ask for more items as the staff would only refill one thing at a time rather than restock completely. This was annoying and unpleasant since you would have to wait for staff to return with each item. I felt like I was doing their job for them by noting what needed to be stocked.

Room Tip: Make sure you have plenty of time for breakfast or reception since you will wait a long time for foo...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Stayed two nights for a wedding in the family. Atmosphere, nostalgic train station, downtown location - wonderful. Staff and service what one would expect from a good hotel (excellent). I didn't stay in a railroad car room, but the concept was intriguing. However, despite being warned, I was awakened several times by the train noise, and other visiting family members whose rooms were closer to the back of the hotel, got no sleep and asked that their rooms be moved. If you are a light sleeper, be sure to get a front room. The breakfast was less than I expect even at a chain motel and as a diabetic, I would have appreciated a selection that was not all carbs, even a hard cooked egg would have been welcome. It was jarring to learn that none of the downtown hotels maintain an airport shuttle and I had to take a taxi. Airport transportation should be de rigeur at any big city first class hotel, unless there is good public transportation. My relatives who drove in were equally surprised to learn that parking was not included in the price.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank SantaFeNana
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Dear SantaFeNana,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. I am glad that you liked our hotel location. Regarding the noise from neighbor room, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. We try our best to ensure all guests have a great stay and undisturbed sleep overnight. I am sorry that the breakfast selection did not live up to your expectations given your specific dietary needs. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Lera M