Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
US$104
Omni Severin Hotel(Indianapolis)
US$214
US$190
  • Restaurant
Candlewood Suites Indianapolis(Indianapolis)(Great Value!)
US$103
US$94
US$250
US$204
  • Restaurant
All reviewstrain cartrain noisereal trainunique hotelhear trainslove trainspullman trainlucas oil stadiumcool hotelvalet parkingwithin walking distanceguest roomscolts gamelight sleeperhot tubhotel roomfront desk staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Overall the stay wasn't terrible and most staff were excellent. To preface - I got this through a 'name your own price' type deal, so I paid lower than normal, which turned out to be the convincing part of my decent rating.

Our first room was not completely cleaned (underwear in the bottom of the closet and hair on the bathroom floor) - Trey was the desk staff that took care of us and promptly changed our room and comped us breakfast. I was ok with that.

Rooms were ok - small slightly dated but nothing was terrible. No signs of bug activity or anything terrible. We were located by the pool which was quieter at night, noisier during the day, which is my preference.

We used Valet and they were a bit confused once in getting our keys but overall they were good and friendly. We returned to our room mid-day on Saturday and our keys didn't work (neither or them) which was annoying, considering the line to check in was really long, but they corrected this issue as promptly as possible, too.

The location was ok, right by Lucas Oil and close to lots of downtown eateries and such. A little it of a walk for the Eiteljorg and that side of downtown but cab rides were cheap if needed. Overall, it was ok. I would have been mad paying full price, but the price was good for what we got. Staff, in general, was very nice and accomodating.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2012

The first impression is a quite ordinary lobby but very welcoming staff who really could not do enough for you. Room was quiet and comfortable although not 100% cared for. Breakfast was ok as included in rate but otherwise not the best. All staff very friendly as was the case all over the city at the restaurants and taxis that we experienced. Odd pool situation but clean. Free computer station very well placed and fast wifi.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights this July. We checked in around midnight. The ladies at the front desk were very friendly and welcoming. The beds were so comfortable I wish I could have taken it home with me! The hotel room was supposed to be direct billed to my company since I was there for business, and upon waking up the next morning, I realized they had incorrectly billed my stay on my personal debit card. The front desk staff got ahold of the accounting lady and she helped get ahold of the bank to release the hold. Crisis over. We had a room on the 2nd floor near the walkway to the convention center. We did have a small issue with ants in our bathroom when we woke up the first morning. Just about 5-10 small black ants. I reported it and the FD staff had someone address while we were out running around for the day and we did not see anymore the rest of the stay. There was some noise in the middle of the night when the trains drove through the tunnel which is attached to the hotel. Might bother some people. It did worry my 8 year old a bit, (she thought it was an earthquake the first time we heard it) but I thought it was kind of cool. The hotel decor is very neat. I enjoyed reading all of the information about the old train station and its history. There are really cool people statues all throughout the hotel that were really neat to look at. The ceilings are very cool. However, if you are on the 3rd floors and in the halls during the day, it gets very hot since there is a skylight and very open ceiling structure with not many ac vents in the hallways up there. The pool was nice. So was the hot tub. Breakfast buffet was a little overpriced but pretty good. Lots of options and they would custom make eggs for you. Our waiter was very very nice. One night it was getting late and we decided just to try and find a pizza place nearby that would deliver. I asked the front desk and they had a printed list available of nearby places. Location was good, as it was in the downtown area, but far enough to the end that there was not a lot of wandering people around the hotel at all hours of the night. We parked in the PanAm parking garage next door instead of opting for Valet parking. Valet parking was all up and down the narrow street in front and I saw some of the young guys parking the cars. While they were very friendly, the spaces were very narrow and they drove pretty agressively at times, so it made me too nervous with a large SUV rental car. Even though we had to pay everytime we left the parking garage, we still paid less than we would have with valet parking and we didnt have to stand and wait 15-20 minutes for someone to bring us the rental car. Oh, and on the 2nd floor there are fancy rooms inside old train cabins that are themed and very cool. In fact, we kept trying to get a little peak inside one when we were walking by and one of the days, the head of housekeeping was checking the rooms in the traincars when we were walking back to our room and offered to let us in to look at the room. That was definitely above and beyond customer service. I enjoyed my stay at this hotel and would stay here again if I return to downtown Indianapolis.

Room Tip: If the train noise would bother you in the night, ask the front desk to put you somewhere where your room wont shake (or shake as much if there is no such place). If you have trouble getting around, ask for a room close to the elevators. Our room was a bit of a distance from them and it could get a little tiring, especially when we were going back and forth to the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2012 via mobile

We stayed two nights. Our first night, the room got so hot that we could not sleep; we had to be moved to a new room the next night. The bigger issue is that i got bed bug bites while at the hotel. Yuck! I won't be back.

• Stayed: July 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Dear Jenn1125,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 19 July 2012

The hotel is a normal hotel built into a portion of the train station and when I got my room assignment for my conference being held here i was totally surprised I would be sleeping in a real train car. The second floor is built around where trains apparently used to load and they effectively docked the trains for good and this is an amazingly unique feature. The hotel is very clean and could use come updating. My train car room is basically an efficiency (so if you bring kids you will have to share one room - but I had a king bed which was huge) but the experience was utterly unique and worth it. The furniture was smaller and the room was a bit worn and older looking but the common areas were clean and immaculate, including the boarding areas which form an aisle between the actual cars and rooms that face the cars. My description is that the hotel is very clean, a bit dated, but the service is excellent and the train cars are an amazing experience. I would recommend it even with a bit of vibration from trains. Hey, it's a station.

Room Tip: Ask for a train car - where else can you do that?
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business