“High quality historic hotel”

Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #29 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Akron, Ohio
“High quality historic hotel”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I stayed here for a conference in September 2012. Because of the conference rate, I was able to get a historic train car room. This was a really fun experience. Although the room is narrow and maybe not as spacious as some people are used to, I thought it was still well-designed and made good use of space. The decor was in keeping with the 1920s period, but the room had all the expected amenities. It might be a little difficult to get in and out if you have limited mobility, since you have to climb the train car stairs, but most people will be fine. Trains still run under the building, so it was sort of a strange experience to be awoken at night by a shaking/rumbling. It wasn't scary, though, and when I realized what was going on, it actually added to the experience. The train cars are in a corridor that people walk through frequently, but I didn't find that to be loud or disturbing. Unfortunately, I don't think I would have sprung for the train car if not for the special discounted rate. I think it may be a little expensive otherwise.

I am an architectural historian, so I loved the reuse of an historic building and just being able to explore the different gorgeous areas of the hotel. The hotel restaurant was fine, basically your standard American fare. The hotel is conveniently located 3-4 blocks from the main downtown area full of restaurants. The staff was friendly and the room and hotel were kept neat and clean.

I give the Crowne Plaza 4 out of 5 stars because it is a well-run, clean, unique mid- to higher end hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Thank you for your review. I appreciate you giving specific details of your experience in the pullman traincar. The traincars are only $20 more than a standard room, so they are affordable for a unique experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Korean first
New Jersey
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel last month. My room was very nice. The location was close to the Convention Center. The staff did all they could to make my stay the best. The trains did not ssem to bother me and Indianapolis has a great variety of restaurants.
I already made my reservations for my next stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Thank you for your kind words. I am happy to hear that our staff made you feel welcome in our city. We look forward to your return next year!
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed 4 November 2012

My husband and I stayed here last night for a night away from the kids. The location is perfect. Close to Lucas Oil stadium and many resturants. We went to Harry & Izzy's (which was amazing). It was a little noisy with the trains going in by the the hotel. I didn't like that there wasn't an outside window in our room, it appears all rooms overlook the lobby to me. We had the breakfast rate, which was not good at all. The fresh fruit was the only thing really edible. I would definately recommend eating somewhere else. The rooms were nice size and clean. I did notice that their was not a refrigerator in our room. Not big deal for this trip, but if I was staying longer I would want one. All and all, I would stay there again given a good rate, but for the money I think they are nicer places to stay.

Room Tip: Skip the resturant, horrible food. Rooms can be noisy with the trains, maybe request far from train...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I apologize that the food in the restaurant fell below your expectations. We are open to any feedback that we can receive to improve our menu and offerings in the restaurant to better cater to our guests needs. We want you to feel that there is value in a room at our hotel. We do offer rooms that come with refrigerators in some room types.
DANVILLE
Reviewed 28 October 2012

The theme, the old rail building, is truly unique and magnificent. Loved the full-sized plaster human sculptures! Rooms were very nice, except for inexpensive bathroom fixtures. Room was also good sized. No breakfast was offered.

We stayed here for two nights to visit the university campus. Parking was difficult and expensive.

2 Thank bhailey
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, 30 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am glad that you enjoyed the plaster traveler's from the past that are stationed throughout our building. We are a very unique hotel and our building has a lot of history. Please keep in mind, we do have rates available that include breakfast for two. I do apologize for the look of the bathroom fixtures. This issue is going to be addressed when our hotel undergo's a full renovation beginning in March of 2013.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I loved this hotel! It has a great historic feel to it. The train cars and tracks in the hotel is what makes this hotel incredibly unique. Great pool, friendly staff, comfy bed. What more could you ask for? Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rp_1055
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am very happy to hear that you enjoy the history and unique aspects of our hotel. Our staff will be happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience. Thank you again!
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We stayed here for a wedding. the space was beautiful and the food was good. The decore of the hotel is very neat. You can have your room in a train car. overall it was a clean space, a little old. there is only 1 ice machine per floor and its not centrally located. There was no mini fridge so dont make plans to store things.

My only real complaint is that staff members started knocking on our door ar 8am, when check out is at noon. at least 1 staff member and 2 houskeepers knocked even though we had a do not disturb sign on the door. also there is no free or discounted parking.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Holly C
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, 23 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am glad that you had a great experience attending the wedding at our hotel. Your compliments will be shared with the Food and Beverage staff. I want to apologize for housekeeping staff disturbing you prior to your departure of the hotel. Your comments will be discussed with the Housekeeping department to better identify departures without disturbing our guests. You shouldn't have been disturbed with a "Do Not Disturb" sign on your door.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 20 October 2012

The “Lillian Russell” car, like the 20+ cars converted to rooms in the Crowne Plaza Union Station is a little like a wrinkle in time. It has a teeny little closet, a teeny little bar (with refrigerator), and a teeny little bathroom. The lush king sized bed (a mystery how they got the mattress in???) was comfortable, as were the two club chairs, the desk and the flat screen TV. Union Station is still an active, multi-level station, with trains moving through periodically during the day and night. The décor is period-appropriate, and you have a sense of what long-distance travel was like in the 1920’s and 30’s.
It is a good idea to get help with luggage, as the Pullman steps up to the room are steep and narrow. I was carrying heavy camera equipment plus luggage and was grateful for the assistance. The bathroom is similar to other historic hotels of the era, and the bar with refrigerator was a treat. Room service is fast, hot and good. The steak sandwich I ordered was one of the best room service meals I have ever had in 30 yrs. of business travel.
The building itself is an architectural wonder; it makes you wish the elevator would take longer so you can enjoy it a bit longer.
I can’t say enough about how accommodating the staff is. In every instance…taking me to retrieve an article I had left behind on an appointment to the very knowledgeable help finding some obscure places I was seeking for photos…if someone couldn’t help, they found someone who could. Waiters and waitresses remembered customers from day to day, and regulars were welcomed like family. The housekeeping staff does not start that irritating “housekeeping” tap on the door at 8 am, which seems to be standard in most hotels these days, and were very quiet in the hallways. It is a convention hotel, so large groups of guests came home “happy” late at night, but that is pretty standard in any downtown hotel.
These cars sit as they rolled in on original tracks. Teens would find it fun to roam the hotel at will, as the Grand Hall, Station and of course, the room they have adjacent to yours down that narrow corridor with the Alice in Wonderland sized door would be just odd enough to be fun. The on-site restaurant is good (Breakfast buffet may be the best meal of the day), and it is a short complementary van ride to the Zoo, the Market, River and you can walk through a covered walkway to shopping and sports venues.

I would not consider another hotel. I want to take my grandkids on a business trip with me (28-10 yrs) to experience this bit of live history.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet side of Railroad car rooms. Staff will tell you which ones...Try the Rudolf Valentino...
1 Thank charaz
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your experience at our hotel. I am glad to here that you had an enjoyable stay and our staff took good care of you. I am sure other traveler's will appreciate the information you have provided so they can hear what a unique hotel and experience they can enjoy for themselves. Thank you again!