“Nice stay for the price...but some problems!”

Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #28 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Indiana
“Nice stay for the price...but some problems!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

We got a great rate & stayed in this hotel, which had the perfect location. We found it worth it to park on the street at a meter instead of paying for valet parking, although valet service is standard in this area. We walked everywhere & our room on the 1st floor was clean & bedding comfortable. No problems with noise or train sounds.

That being said, there were some issues. Pool was closed early and hot tub out of order.When we checked in the night before, we were told by the clerk that we were put in a king room although we had reserved 2 beds. She was able to change it to 2 doubles, apologized, and told us that our room rate would include breakfast-a nice perk. Except that the next morning when we went to get our "breakfast tickets" like she told us, the morning clerk had no idea what she was talking about & said our room did not come with breakfast. Housekeeping opened the door to our room shortly after 8-we never heard a knock & were getting dressed-but it opened only partway as we had the chain bolt on. Worst of all, a couple days later I noticed a funny charge on my credit card for 19.98$. I called to find out that after we left the hotel at 9:30am, someone (assuming a hotel employee since our room was locked after check out) watched a movie in our room at 11:30am which was charged to my credit card. Creepy! To the management's credit, when I called to inquire about the charge & protested that we hadn't turned our tv on, they promptly credited it back. Make sure you officially check out, even if you've prepaid, to avoid this type of creepy activity!

The location is perfect, the old train station turned hotel is fun & classy-pity the rest of the stay wasn't quite up to par.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank joyr24
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, 27 November 2012
I am sorry about the services issues that occurred during your stay. Unfortunately, we no longer have a hot tub due to the location, age, and new safety standards in regards to hot tubs. It was not possible to bring the exsisting hot tub to meet the new regulations required to continue to provide this amenity. We suggest all of our guests remember to use their deadbolt, night latches, and privacy signs to prevent them from accidentally being disturbed by employees trying to service the guest rooms. I will remind our staff to make sure they are audible when knocking and annoucing themselves, as it is hard to hear through the guest room door.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

As a frequent business traveler I appreciate unique hotels with some "character" - and the Crowne Plaza has some really interesting elements - they have a number of converted Pullman cars that they use as hotel rooms, and the layout is interesting and the place is situated in a perfect downtown location.

It was the location that led me to book a room here - I was in town for a conference at the adjacent historic Union Station - the nation's first, and wonderfully preserved and utilized for this event as the exhibit hall for a statewide educational conference and expo.

I was surprised that even with a travel club discount the room was still at the upper end of what I'm usually willing to pay, but for the sake of convenience I decided to opt for it.

When making my reservation, I advised them that my arrival might be late - 9 PM or so, which is almost exactly when I arrived - I was quite surprised after a very long day of traveling that there were 12 people in line ahead of me waiting to check-in and only two desk clerks behind the counter. As a member of the frequent guest program, they had my room in the "executive" section of the hotel on the second floor - but they did not explain to me that they had me in a different section of the hotel, and failed to supply the critical information I needed to find it - so I ended up wandering around for almost 20 minutes with all my luggage before I discovered that my room key unlocked a door to an unmarked section of the hotel where my room was located. The area was marked as a "designated quiet area" - which was unexpected but appealed to me. I later read that an active railroad is immediately adjacent to the hotel (it IS after all a railroad-themed hotel) and while the guest information states that you might hear a gentle rumbling - I later discovered that you might be shaken out of your bed by a thundering locomotive at any hour of the day or night. I am not a light sleeper, if you are this could definitely be a concern.

The room was appealing on the surface, but I quickly found a lot of problems: the grout in the shower was terrible looking - it had obviously had some overcoat painted on to make it look white and new, but about 50% of it had peeled off and so the contrast between the cosmetic treatment and the underlying grout was ugly. While the towels were soft and thirsty, the shower head was pointed at the middle of my chest and was so low in the shower that I had to duck to get my hair wet. If you are shorter than my 6'1" frame, this might not be a problem for you, but I found it irritating.

Maybe I was cranky after a long day of traveling and a long wait to check in, and a frustrating experience trying to find my room, but I found it hard to believe that there were only 5 clothes hangers in the closet, and that they only fit in the closet if they were turned SIDEWAYS. That's right, if you hang clothes perpendicular to the bar on the hanger the way they are intended to hang, you can't close the closet door. Really? How much did I pay for this room?

The room was obviously designed in the days when the average traveler had no need to plug-in any electrical or rechargeable devices. I always carry a small ultra-portable outlet strip with 4 outlets to give me easy access to charging while running my laptop. Unfortunately there were only a couple of outlets in an otherwise very large room, and (here's the real problem): they were in the most inconvenient places possible. The only one that was not completely blocked by heavy furniture was too far from the outside edge of the bedside table. The long cord on the clock radio was stretched to it's maximum length and the clock was barely perched on the very outside edge of the table! No way that my phone charger was going to allow my phone (which I use as the only fail-safe alarm clock I trust, as long as it is plugged into its charger at night) to be anywhere except on the floor, at least 4 feet from the bed.

What appeared to be a nice desk at which to work turned out to have only one outlet available - a two-prong on the base of the lamp. So my outlet strip (3 prong) can't help me now, and my laptop (3 prong) won't plug into the lamp. Argh! Do business travelers NEVER stay here? I can't imagine that you could get any work done in this room.

Internet. I held my breath to see what I was going to discover. OK, the good news - they offer free wi-fi to all guests - and they provided a wireless access code to get me logged on to the hotel network. The bad news - you guessed it - it was unbelievably slow. My 3G wireless on my phone, working as an access point was more than 10 times faster than the best test results I managed from Speedtest.net on the hotel wifi. Luckily, the hotel was hosting the conference, and the conference people installed their own free, unsecured WI-fi network that was available throughout the hotel for the days of the conference - it was fast and reliable.

If an educational show can come in and in one day set up a fast, solid wi-fi network on a temporary basis and provide it free to all comers, why can't the Crowne Plaza get decent service to their guests? Why, because they haven't been forced to do so.

I'm sorry to be so negative, but here's the core problem: low and mid-priced hotels have been successfully taking business travelers away from the upper tiers of hotels and will continue to do so until (and unless) they come to the realization that failing to understand the basic needs of your customer base will cause them to leave you in the dust.

The Crowne Plaza hasn't reacted fast enough to provide those very basic amenities like reasonably fast free wi-fi and recognizing that business travelers are highly dependent on portable electronics like smart phones and tablets that need to be recharged. They need to provide lots of outlets and locate them near the beds and the desks.

While the hotel has lots of good things, these issues overshadowed the positive attributes, in my opinion. I would not stay here again, even at half of what I paid, which would be about what I would have spent at a Hampton Inn or Courtyard - both of whom have these problems all figured out.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Mark R
Chattanooga TN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012 via mobile

The hotel is housed in the nations first Union Station. Some of the hotel rooms are housed in train cars that rest on the old train platforms.

I stayed in a standard hotel room and it felt like a standard motel room, not really up to par with what you would expect from a Crowne Plaza. As a Prioriry Club Platinum member I was given a voucher for a free drink.... Nothing more. No free breakfast, no room upgrade etc that I expect.

For the price paid, I think there are many other downtown hotels that have a more upscale feel... However this hotel was clean and I would consider staying here again just for the uniqueness and historical charm.

forney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

I used Priceline and got this hotel. I read many of the reviews and saw the General Manager responded to the people. I am shocked that after all his/her responses that its still the same thing here. I guess they want to do better but the rooms are run down and the hotel nickel and dimes you for everything. (eg refrigerator for 20 dollars a day for medical reasons). I thought General Managers were suppose to promote good will and return of customers but I guess he or she spends all there time in the office responding to these rating. And yes currently in one of the rooms.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Thank you for your feedback. Our company just closed on financing for a complete hotel renovation scheduled to begin in March 2013. Feedback from our guests are very important to our hotel so that we can address issues in our hotel. Amenities such as, refrigerators and rollaway beds do have additional costs. We do have guest rooms that come with refrigerators included in the rate.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012

Had a quick business meeting downtown. Colleague booked us into the Crowne Plaza. What a unique place! From the statuary throughout the common areas to the actual rail cars that can be booked as your hotel room, I was entranced! The hotel is part of an actual train station , but that's not a bad thing. Quiet, peaceful, calming, and most of all- nostalgic. Very conveniently located, great shops and restaurants right nearby. I look forward to my next trip to Indy and my next stay at this terrific place! All Aboard!

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed the unique aspects of our historic property!
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012 via mobile

Went to my first banquet at the plaza at union station. Wonderful setting, great service and fantastic food. Best banquet food you could ever expect. Great presentation and large portions. And did I mention the tasty desert !

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your review regarding your attendance during a banquet function at our hotel. Chef Randy pride's himself on high quality food and great presentation. Our banquet department will appreciate your comments. Thank you!
jackson
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights while taking part in FFA National Convention. Loved that we could get back and forth to all the different buildings without ever stepping outside- even the mall! I do think they could "dress" things up a bit to making it more exciting and to showcase the station. The common areas just seemed dark and cold. I loved feeling the trains rumble by and the rooms were big and clean! Everyone we dealt with was very nice- even at our 3am check-in. Parking is high and I did miss having a small fridge in the room.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, 6 November 2012
Thank you for your comments about our hotel while you were visiting as part of the FFA convention. We are scheduled for a complete hotel renovation in March 2013. We are hoping that this will make our property have a warmer feel and updated look. I am sorry that the parking rates were a detriment to your stay. As the city of Indianapolis has been growing, so has the demand and rates of parking. Parking rates are something everyone that visits Indianapolis should investigate in advance so you aren't suprised upon your arrival.