“Interesting Location - Needs a some TLC”

Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #27 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Indianapolis
“Interesting Location - Needs a some TLC”
Reviewed 15 February 2013

We were exhausted from our wedding and chose the Crown because of its interesting location and unique theme, and it was too late to drive far. The conversion of the train station into a hotel is very innovative. The service level was good, valet parking was efficient. We arrived late but the bar served a limited menu, the staff was quick, friendly and the food was good. We chose the standard rooms on the 2nd level, which we very much regretted later because the Pulman car rooms are really the primary draw of the location, we should have upgraded the minute I saw them on the tracks, because the regular rooms are really very average. Yes, there are trains, the sound was not really all that bad, but the rumbling is present...but for us this was not an issue, my wife and I found it added to the ambience of the station location. The room was clean, well stocked and the beds comfortable. The negatives were maintenance issues, our bath tub required a minor plumbing repair to the stopper, the maintenance man was quick and professional. In the morning however we were greeted with a cloud of dozens of ants swarming out of the sink drain, which does not add to the ambience of the room. I would have given the hotel maybe another star if the front staff had made some additional effort to recognize that two issues like this, that consumed several hours during a wedding night stay, are too many and require a little more customer service attention, not a free room or anything...but like an apology from the manager on duty, future room upgrade offer, voucher...something more than a quick "sorry about that" from the desk clerk...but that was it...literally.

Room Tip: Regretted not trying the Pulman car rooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, 3 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to explain your experience. I apologize for the maintenance issues that you encountered during your stay. I am sorry that the staff you encountered didn't make you feel that the issue was as serious as it was. It is very important for our hotel to resolve issues to our guest satisfaction, and I am very sorry to hear that we failed to do that prior to your departure. I will be sharing your feedback with our staff so that we can better handle the guest relation aspect when we are notified of issues such as this. Thank you for your time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Korean first
us
Reviewed 15 February 2013

After reading several questionable reviews before my trip I was a bit apprehensive. I was scheduled for a business trip and would be staying for 9 nights with no choice of changing hotels. I must say I was very pleasantly surprised. The hotel was quite unique, but kept up and clean.
On my first day I became a bit lost trying to find my way over to the convention center and one of the maintenance staff actually took me up to the convention level herself and pointed me in the right direction. That's service! Since I was there for a business trip I was putting in some late days at work and found myself in the hotel bar/restaurant every night for dinner. Service was top notch (Thanks Anthony, James, Laura )
Food was always good, prices very reasonable.
The convenience of the walkway to the convention center was a big plus for me and my co-workers.
One drawback for me was the bed pillows.....not too comfortable.
All in all a very good trip.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your positive comments. I will be sharing your feedback with the employees that you mentioned. You also commented on the uncomfortable pillows. These are being replaced as part of our new bedding package that we will be installing during our upcoming hotel renovation.
Los Angeles
Reviewed 14 February 2013

The hotel is in the downtown area and sort of centrally located to just about everything. Indianapolis is a great town to explore and there are quite a few things to see beyond it's downtown. If doing some exploring, try to use their simple expansive bus system by getting a day pass. The hotel is quite unique in it's location(an old historic train station) and decor (train station motif, complete with statues). The service was quite exceptional in my situation since my first room was located adjacent to the ice and vending machine room. It was quite noisy and when I asked to see if they had a better location, they were able to upgrade me to a room in the Executive Club area. Access to this area was great for evening hors d'oeuvres and breakfast in the morning.
The room was great with a comfortable queen bed in a huge room. The pillows and sheets were great after a long cold day of sightseeing. The bathroom was a great size and full of wonderful toiletries. Quite enjoyed my stay here and would love to do it again if visiting Indianapolis again.

Room Tip: For a truly unique experience in this hotel, try staying in one of the railroad cars. For those want...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
I am glad that you enjoyed a unique experience in our hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience with others.
Decatur, Indiana
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Missing the sleep amenities like the relax cd not very clean and getting run down and lots of things broken. Sucks that they took out the hot tub. The view out window a wall. Anyone can find better. Writing this as sitting in the room today Feb 12 2013.

• Stayed February 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Dear sherrycoil,

Thank you for your feedback of our property. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am deeply sorry about the amenities not being at par with your expectations. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Illinois
Reviewed 8 February 2013

We've been there twice - both in winter and summer. It is conveniently located downtown - and on a weekend - easy to find parking. There's valet parking; but you only need it for weekdays.

My wife and I stayed with our 10 year old and 16 year old. We highly recommend the train cars. There are a few restored trains - where you sleep in a train car. The room was a decent size; and the kids loved the atmosphere. Unlike the people complaining about noise and the trains passing by, in the train car, we couldn't hear a thing. The decor in the hotel is set with white mannequin-like figures throughout. Really gives a neat atmosphere. The desk people were helpful. Easy walking distance to anything fun in downtown Indianapolis.

Downsides: skip the restaurant; don't know why you'd go there anyway with such good choices not far away. Don't expect much from the pool. It is there; it is small; the kids used it briefly.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am happy to hear that your family enjoyed staying in one of our pullman train cars. I am sorry that the restaurant was not to your satisfaction. We are always welcome to feedback to improve the offerings that we have on our menu. There are many restaurant choices in the area, but we would like to cater to the needs of our guests with our own restaurant. Thank you for your time.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 8 February 2013 via mobile

If you in town for business and or need some quiet time this is not it.

1. Location is one, but maybe the only big plus for this hotel. Since it has a sky walk to convention center during winter it's s convenient.
2. Noise proofing is close to ZERO. On one side you have trains running all night, with shakes equal to small earth quake, and in the hall ways kids, if there is some sport event in town at the convention center.
3. If you do not have way of using your own Hot Spot device, forget about internet. Or... press the button and go to take a shower, then press another and make yourself some coffee. It's slower than dial up.
4. If you get a room on the upper floor, the elevator is the only way to and out, and those elevators running non-stop when hotel is packed, so there is a wait.

5. Worn out looking.
6. Pillows are so small... Probably for people with really small heads or kids. Ha, ha.
7. Service staff all were awesome.

If you will get one of the train cart rooms, be prepared kids and even adults will be trying to open door to look inside as all will be thinking it's an exhibit and not a hotel room.

According to my experience it will not be a hotel of my choice again. I would not recommend it to people I know.

• Stayed January 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Dear RT4,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. I appreciate that you found all our staff to be awesome. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations specially on the points you have mentioned. Rest assured that all your comments will be looked into and actions will be taken accordingly. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 31 January 2013

And it was good, but sometimes (at night) a bit noisy because of freight trains passing nearby but I always take my earplugs with me! If you book a room, ask for a room near the street side (less noise). Breakfast is typical American style and after a few days it becomes boring because it's always the same...

Room Tip: Get a room at the front side (street) of the building
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We do have an active train station adjacent to our hotel. Earplugs are available at front desk, which many guests have found helpful to muffle the sound of the active trains. The North side of the hotel is farthest from the active trains. If you are a sensitive sleeper, request a room on the North side. If there is a room availabe in that area, our staff is more than happy to accomodate your request.