Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Omni Severin Hotel(Indianapolis)
  • Room Service
All reviewstrain cartrain noisereal trainunique hotelhear trainslove trainspullman trainlucas oil stadiumcool hotelvalet parkingwithin walking distanceguest roomscolts gamelight sleeperhot tubhotel roomfront desk staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 March 2013

This was my second stay at the Crowne Plaza Union Station. This remains one of the most unusual hotels I've visited, for a few reasons. As the name indicates, the train station theme is extended through the whitewashed, sculpted "passengers" throughout the lobby and the unique romance of converted train car rooms. These and hundreds of additional rooms are set in the converted industrial space with plenty of exposed metal beams, interior-facing room windows and glass elevators with stained-glass ceilings. These details create a unique charm. However, some aspects of this charm contribute to one of the biggest problems with the facility. Train stations tend to be echoey, cavernous and noisy and this fact is made plain when one can hear passing guests' full-volume conversations easily from the bed at 4 am.

In both cases, the rooms were comfortable and clean, though this last time, I noticed cobwebs ominously hanging in the corner of the door moulding and noticeable scuffs and dents in the walls. The breakfast buffet, which was not complimentary, was ample and tasty. The first time I visited with my son and sweetheart, we had a fabulous time in the pool. The most obvious advantage of the hotel is its location in downtown Indy, near sports, shopping, restaurants, entertainment and nightlife galore.

We look forward to enjoying the allure of the train car rooms some time in the future!

Room Tip: Get a room located on the far ends, away from the train car rooms. There is far less noise from passersby.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2013

Thank your for sharing your detailed thoughts on your experience at our hotel. I apologize for the cleanliness issues that you encountered. I feel the information you provided will help other traveler's know what to expect when they stay at our hotel. While we are a unique facility with an active train station that is operating behind us, not all guests are looking for that experience.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Pros:
Interesting history and architecture
Convenient access to convention center, football stadium and basketball arena
Skywalk access to many areas downtown
Room was clean and in good condition
Staff was super nice and helpful
For an active train station it was well insulated from train noise
Indoor pool for kids

Cons:
Restaurant food was not that great, tea was murky.
Continental breakfast was disappointing. Three days they had no reg. coffee, only decaf. Fruit was not fresh. No attendant ever seen for continental breakfast area. Dishes piled up in sink quickly.
Hallway traffic was a little loud from people who just can't be quiet

On the plus side, the hotel manager said they are undergoing a $9 mil renovation in 2014.

The railcar rooms are modern so it's not like a historical experience at all. Really just like the other hotel rooms, but in a railcar. I would have thought they'd be more old fashioned with some modern conveniences but were not.

Room Tip: The north side of the hotel is farthest from the active railroad tracks, so it's got to be quieter. I could barely hear the trains but could feel minimal shaking. Nothing that would keep me from rest, and I live miles from railroad tracks.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. The information you provided will help other travelers know some great benefits of our downtown location. As far as the cons, I will share that information with our food and beverage department to take a look at the options that we are serving our guests. Guest feedback is vital for us be providing the correct product that our guests are wanting. As we are just getting ready to embark on a total hotel renovation, the conditional issues will be addressed, which makes us very excited.

Reviewed 15 February 2013

We were exhausted from our wedding and chose the Crown because of its interesting location and unique theme, and it was too late to drive far. The conversion of the train station into a hotel is very innovative. The service level was good, valet parking was efficient. We arrived late but the bar served a limited menu, the staff was quick, friendly and the food was good. We chose the standard rooms on the 2nd level, which we very much regretted later because the Pulman car rooms are really the primary draw of the location, we should have upgraded the minute I saw them on the tracks, because the regular rooms are really very average. Yes, there are trains, the sound was not really all that bad, but the rumbling is present...but for us this was not an issue, my wife and I found it added to the ambience of the station location. The room was clean, well stocked and the beds comfortable. The negatives were maintenance issues, our bath tub required a minor plumbing repair to the stopper, the maintenance man was quick and professional. In the morning however we were greeted with a cloud of dozens of ants swarming out of the sink drain, which does not add to the ambience of the room. I would have given the hotel maybe another star if the front staff had made some additional effort to recognize that two issues like this, that consumed several hours during a wedding night stay, are too many and require a little more customer service attention, not a free room or anything...but like an apology from the manager on duty, future room upgrade offer, voucher...something more than a quick "sorry about that" from the desk clerk...but that was it...literally.

Room Tip: Regretted not trying the Pulman car rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to explain your experience. I apologize for the maintenance issues that you encountered during your stay. I am sorry that the staff you encountered didn't make you feel that the issue was as serious as it was. It is very important for our hotel to resolve issues to our guest satisfaction, and I am very sorry to hear that we failed to do that prior to your departure. I will be sharing your feedback with our staff so that we can better handle the guest relation aspect when we are notified of issues such as this. Thank you for your time.

Reviewed 15 February 2013

After reading several questionable reviews before my trip I was a bit apprehensive. I was scheduled for a business trip and would be staying for 9 nights with no choice of changing hotels. I must say I was very pleasantly surprised. The hotel was quite unique, but kept up and clean.
On my first day I became a bit lost trying to find my way over to the convention center and one of the maintenance staff actually took me up to the convention level herself and pointed me in the right direction. That's service! Since I was there for a business trip I was putting in some late days at work and found myself in the hotel bar/restaurant every night for dinner. Service was top notch (Thanks Anthony, James, Laura )
Food was always good, prices very reasonable.
The convenience of the walkway to the convention center was a big plus for me and my co-workers.
One drawback for me was the bed pillows.....not too comfortable.
All in all a very good trip.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your positive comments. I will be sharing your feedback with the employees that you mentioned. You also commented on the uncomfortable pillows. These are being replaced as part of our new bedding package that we will be installing during our upcoming hotel renovation.

Reviewed 14 February 2013

The hotel is in the downtown area and sort of centrally located to just about everything. Indianapolis is a great town to explore and there are quite a few things to see beyond it's downtown. If doing some exploring, try to use their simple expansive bus system by getting a day pass. The hotel is quite unique in it's location(an old historic train station) and decor (train station motif, complete with statues). The service was quite exceptional in my situation since my first room was located adjacent to the ice and vending machine room. It was quite noisy and when I asked to see if they had a better location, they were able to upgrade me to a room in the Executive Club area. Access to this area was great for evening hors d'oeuvres and breakfast in the morning.
The room was great with a comfortable queen bed in a huge room. The pillows and sheets were great after a long cold day of sightseeing. The bathroom was a great size and full of wonderful toiletries. Quite enjoyed my stay here and would love to do it again if visiting Indianapolis again.

Room Tip: For a truly unique experience in this hotel, try staying in one of the railroad cars. For those wanting to avoid as much noise from the adjacent train station, ask for room closest to check-in desk.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

I am glad that you enjoyed a unique experience in our hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience with others.