“High price for old accommodations!”

Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #29 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Eldon, Missouri, United States
“High price for old accommodations!”
Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

My national convention was held here in early April. There is construction going on throughout the hotel inside and out. When we arrived our rooms weren't ready -so we went to eat a late lunch (which was fine). When we returned they said they were ready and when we went to out room there was a pile of trash and laundry outside our door! There service at the onsite restaurant was terrible! I woke up with a horrible pain in my back and thought I would skip the opening at my conference to try to get some sleep -3 different hammers were hammering for hours!!!!! So no extra sleep for me. The furniture was run down and dirty and our bathroom floor was filthy. On the plus side you can walk to the downtown area and see the beautiful downtown area. I would not stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for the cleanliness of your guest room. As you stated, our hotel is currently under renovation and addressing the issues in regards to the rundown furniture and fixtures in our guest rooms. I am also sorry to hear that the service that you received in the restaurant fell below expectations. Your feedback is vital for our staff to improve in the areas that you mentioned.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Korean first
Chicago
Reviewed 5 April 2013

we booked this property as the last night of a special vacation so we' d have a treat on the last night of our trip. we booked an old pullman train car that was fairly expensive. the train car itself was a bit musty but fine. we were disappointed to open our train car blinds and find a pile of trash immediately under our windows. It as piles of old discarded phones, trash cans, ice buckets. really disappointing. Yuck

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sharonsfc
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I apologize for the view outside your guest room. Our hotel is currently under renovation. The area you mentioned is being utilzed as an overflow storage area for many of the guest room furnishings. It is our goal to keep the renovation as low an impact to our guest experience as possible. Unfortunately, we are unable to hide all parts of the renovation as it is progressing. Your feedback has helped us take another look at that specific area of the hotel to see if there is anything more that we can do.
Saline, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 24 March 2013

The hotel is within walking distance of everything downtown. The rooms are average, the staff is very courteous and helpful, the public areas are well maintained. There are two trains that run the lenth of the hotel, and the trains contain hotel rooms. I didn't stay in one of these, but it is a cool idea. Parking is expensive, but I suppose this is the norm for a downtown hotel in a big city.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. Our hotel is currently being renovated to bring our product up to the new standards for Crowne Plaza Hotels. I am happy that our staff was helpful and courteous to you during your stay. We understand that service is just as important as the product that we offer. Soon both will be elevated to exceed our guests expectations.
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I've stayed here in the past, but I think I should have stopped at one time.
PROS - Friendly staff, comfortable beds, quiet (but see below), convenient enclosed sky-bridge to the convention center, and the cool factor is it's inside a train station.
CONS - Rooms, fixtures, bathrooms are showing their age. Because the hotel is built inside the train station I've never had a room with a window that looks outside the building (which is a strange thing - I like to look out and see the weather). The place can be very LOUD when weddings get out of hand, events at the football stadium or other rowdy crowds get going.

This stay my stars weren't aligned and I got a horrible room with my "outside" window looking at a sitting area (couch, chairs, etc.) and then on the last nights there were two weddings, a moto-cross event and the start of St Patrick's Day weekend - people were yelling, singing and running around all night long. Every noise inside the train station seems amplified. I'm not going back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: As noted this is inside a train station and they have several old pullman cars that have been conver...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations. Our hotel is currently being renovated and will address the worn and old conditions that you experienced. Our propery is unique in a way that the majority of our guest rooms face the inside atrium of the hotel with no outside facing windows. It is unfortunate, due to a variety events occurring during your stay, we had guests that did not care to respect the expectations of other guests that looked forward to a good nights sleep.
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 18 March 2013

The atmosphere and historic surroundings make this interesting and different than most hotel stays. Yes, the rooms could use a facelift but my experience is not nearly as bad as the reviews might have indicated. I do believe my kids would enjoy this AND it's very centrally located downtown.

Here's detailed insight so you know if you can handle it before the renovations come: Note: Room 210

Pros: They'll shuttle you anywhere you want downtown. Parking was pricey, but easy in and out. The general look and feel of the place is fun and different. The decor is lived in/older but is good quality. Good tv. I find this a much better choice than most 2 or 3 star hotels. There is no sag in my mattress. The staff have been very friendly and helpful.

Cons: You can tell the place needs an update. The bathroom faucets are older, the tub isn't shiny and new. The bed skirt had a stain (not terrible but there is one). The bedding is definitely worn - wrinkled but soft, not uncomfortable. Yes, smaller but soft pillows. Internet works great. Good sized room. The worn items like my desk initially appeared to need wiped off/cleaning, but I later realized it was simply worn.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room and they'll do what they can.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your detailed experience at our hotel. The information you have noted on your specific guest room will be addressed. I am happy to here that you enjoyed the unique experience that our hotel has to offer. A complete hotel renovation is underway to address the conditional issues that were noted.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We stayed in a train car and that was cute and charming, especially since we were with our young children. However, because the room was so outdated, it put a damper on our stay. It was dusty in parts, there was hair in the bathroom, some of the unattractive, dark wallpaper was peeling and there was a hole in the wall where the doorknob had hit it. The ice machine room was filthy. We didn't know that the rooms were being renovated soon--I wish we would have and we would have waited a year to stay here.
The location in Indy is great and we were offered a ride to a restaurant in the hotel courtesy van, which was very nice.
The price was right for downtown Indy.
The outside of the hotel seemed a little dirty---gross trash cans that were overflowing.
The lobby was small and there was another dirty trash can.
As we were checking out the next morning, someone was being arrested right in front of us. This seemed a little disturbing to us since we were with our 2 small children. Because of this, we decided not to stay for breakfast in the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. I apologize for the cleanliness and conditional issues you experienced. I want to also apologize for the guest that was arrested in public view. The safety and security of our guests is very important to us. Unfortunately, there are situations when dealing with the public, where we have to get additional assistance from Police when other guests behavior is out of control. It is not always possible to keep this out of public view, and I am sorry that this occurred in view of you and other guests. This was an unfortunate and rare situation that occurred at our hotel.
Lebanon, Indiana
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We just spent our first night at this hotel. As I was reading the previous negative reviews it saddened my heart. This building is a huge part of history! It is very old and holds a lot of memories! They are VERY upfront about the train noise and the fact that it is indeed an old train depot. Do the rooms need updated? Sure they do. Its been 25 years since a remodel and they informed us this morning when we were inquiring about a return trip (just so we could stay in the Train Car Roo), that on March 25, that renovation would begin. We loved this gem. We cannot wait to come back with the kids and spend more time! It was wonderful. Thank you Crowne Plaza for using this building as a way to honor some history! Very unique.

Room Tip: Get a Train Car Room!!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Our renovation is underway at the hotel and we are excited to offer an upgraded product when the transformation is complete. I am glad that despite negative feedback that you have viewed, you enjoyed your experience and history of our hotel. We are upfront about the active train station as it is part of the experience at our hotel.