“Great, downtown hotel. Would stay again.”

Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
Ranked #26 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 20 June 2014

First, I wish I had stayed in a train car! I had no idea it was an option to stay in a train car when I booked the hotel so ask, if that's your thing. I just didn't know they existed so it was a complete surprise when I walked to my boring hotel room and saw an awesome train car across the hallway.

There are sculptures everywhere of yesteryear, when trains were popular modes of transportation. They are cool and a little creepy but they make for a great representation of who used train services when the old station was in operation.

Complaints: It could sometimes be noisy, depending on where your room was in the building. My room windows were over the vestibule area AND the door was on a main hallway so I got noise from both sides. This was not pleasant. However, I never heard a train...just felt some rumbles.

Pros: The staff was truly fantastic and friendly. The lounge staff, in particular, and greeted me with my drink each day I went in without me saying a word. The hotel is comfortable. It is in a good location, close to lots of eateries and the convention center downtown. While I was there for a conference, the stadium is right next door so anyone here for a game would want to stay here, ideally.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Trina W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for writing this wonderful review, we love hearing feedback about our service. Trina W. General Manager

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel is in a great location in Downtown Indy. The staff is always extremely helpful and the rooms are clean. We stayed in a train car both times we've visited. We were not disturbed by the trains going through. Really nice indoor pool. Would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lyn M

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Great location for everything downtown. Hotel courtesy bus will shuttle you around if too tired to walk or in a hailstorm thunderstorm as we were. Staff very welcoming, late check arranged without any fuss. Small convenience shop a good touch just at the side of reception. Bar are quite small, but very friendly, and a couple of TV's not too over whelming. Breakfast excellent, cooked and buffet available.

Room Tip: Odd train can be heard very early in the morning, so ask for room away from track. But this would no...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Trina W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown Union Station as your place to stay in Indianapolis! We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. Trina W. General Manager

Reviewed 16 June 2014

My wife and I took a weekend get away to Downtown Indy from Detroit last weekend and stayed at this Crowne Plaza. We were blown away by how neat and historic the building was. We stayed in one of the old train cars and were blown away by how unique it was and very, very clean. The club lounge didn't have a view or anything like that but was always stocked and even had hot items as well. I manage hotels for a living and was still very impressed with this property. My wife wanted to get married all over again so that we could have our reception in their ballroom in the old train station. The hotel was amazing and the location was perfect. It was an all around good stay and a neat adventure. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.. keep up the good work!

Room Tip: The train car rooms are very unique but very narrow. If you like to sprawl out get a regular suite...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick K
Trina W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown Union Station as your place to stay in Indianapolis! We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and hope to see you again soon! Trina W. General Manager

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Pros: This hotel was clean. The staff were helpful and polite. In general I found the room to be clean and tidy. The hotel was very close to my office which was convenient. The hotel is also very close to numerous dining options, shopping and walking around town.

Cons: I was not informed that my room (train car #3, Room 703) has trains that run right above it all evening and that was disappointing. The room shakes, the furniture shakes, every thing shakes, it is loud and the frequency of trains seems to be every 15-20 mins at times, all through the night. There are quite a few windows in the train car rooms and being right along the well lit hallway, quite a bit of light leaks into the room around the blinds all night long. It is not a pleasant sleeping experience. I also found a dirty band-aid on the carpet in the room and that is a super gross thing to find in a hotel room.

I cannot say I dislike this hotel, but I do recommend that you must request a room that is in no way close to that freight train - even the heaviest of sleepers will not sleep well if you have this room and others similar in circumstance.

Room Tip: Avoid train car #3, room 703. Also, let the reception know you don't want any other room like th...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret the issues you encountered with the room you received. Rest assured that your feedback will be taken into consideration in our efforts to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer. Trina W General Manager

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hotel had a free shuttle which was great for getting around. It was walking distance to many attractions, staff was friendly and helpful. I really appreciated the valet parking with in and out privilages as well. The only negative was no hot tub. Great stay.

• Stayed: June 2014

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We were in town for an event during the day and another music event downtown at night. This was a nice surprise from Priceline.com. The hotel is renovated train station that actually is a current train station. We stayed in a room directly across the hall from the renovated train car hotel rooms. The whole feel of the place was fun and different. I would like to stay in one of the train car rooms next time to experience that. Our room was super clean and well appointed furniture. Modern day in a historical background! The best hotel bathroom I've been in lately: well lit, great shower pressure, great magnified makeup mirror. The staff was friendly and helpful giving us directions to every where we had planned. The location can't be beat, walking distance to Lucas Oil stadium, Circle Mall, wonderful eateries, and music venues, or just a nice walk downtown in the eve. The hotel itself is great to stroll with lots of train history in the museum. Will go back if we want a place close to everything downtown Indy has to offer.

Room Tip: Our room was great, we didn't notice any sound of trains, that some people wrote about, so if th...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Trina W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time and giving us this 5 star review. It excites us that every part of your stay was great from check in to check out. Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown we look forward to your next stay with us. Trina W. General Manager