“Hotel not suitable for large conferences”

Hyatt Regency Indianapolis
Ranked #22 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Roanoke, Virginia
“Hotel not suitable for large conferences”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

The hotel was nice and clean and the staff were professional and kind. The only problem is that the hotel is not set up for large conferences. Sometimes, I waited over thirty minutes for the elevator due to so many people going up and down. The food was really good and I was amazed that it always came out hot considering that there were so many people to serve at once. There was a problem with our first room and the staff offered to move us. We packed and moved ourselves and they gave us free wifi for our trouble. Take your own bottled water. If remember correctly, it was $3 a bottle.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Korean first
Santiago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

The hotel is a large no-frills convention hotel well located downtown, next to Circle mall. There are a number of good restaurants nearby. The rooms are standard quality. One high point is the revolving restaurant on the roof.

One thing that did not impress me was the staff's attitude. Black Expo was held during the time I was there, and the staff was extremely anxious. The hotel handed out bracelets that had to be worn when entering after 7 pm. To test this, I entered after 8, with my bracelet out of sight in my pocket. The guards didn't ask to see my bracelet at all, while black guests were asked for theirs (I'm white). A disappointing experience.

• Stayed July 2011
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

Great location right in the middle of the action. Parking was reasonable (if you dont want to pay $30 than stay out in the cornfields). Beautiful lobby with amazing views from the elevator. Staff was super friendly also. Not enough elevators for the amount of rooms. Room showed it's age as they need to replace the worn carpet and peeling wall paper. Housekeeping needs to be coached as the room wasn't cleaned properly upon arrival but hey, I got the room off Priceline so I am not complaining at all.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Maryland USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

I am usually not too critical but I stayed at this property to attend a convention located within the hotel. Convention management and planning was fine. I will list the good and bad points of the property for your consideration:

Good:
Location!
Valet parking
Front desk
Lobby located in PNC building which had Subway, Starbucks and an ATM.
My room was quiet

Bad:
Slow internet and $9.95 perday
Elevators - Maybe it was the convention or the upcoming NASCAR race but it was torture having to wait for the elevator almost every time during my two night stay. Many times the elevator would arrive and would be full so you had to let it go and wait more! One elevator out of the four were out and it did not look like they were working on it at all. This was a big inconvenience!
Ironing board was unable to stand up on it's legs
AC was just so so and would not go lower than 68.

I realize 2 stars is a poor review but the management has to do something about the elevators at once! 10 minutes is way too long!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Chicago, Ill
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

I got a fantastic deal for this hotel on Priceline for a one-night stay en route to Louisville. Hotel was fantastic, room was great, nice and quiet, staff couldn't have been friendlier.
The only problem was that it was Indiana Black Expo Summer Celebration weekend in Indy. Cops were everywhere. Streets were blocked off. It took me 60 minutes of wandering through downtown Indy to be able to get into the parking garage.
When I got to the hotel's doors, I was stopped by security and asked whether I had a bracelet to get in. I didn't and then had to get one as I check in. Seemed prison-like, but I don't blame them. The event has been spiraling out-of-control. I think about 10 people were shot a year earlier.
Again, I'd recommend the hotel to anyone. It's a fantastic stay. Just make sure you know what's going on downtown when you're planning to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

As a chairman for a convention for the philanthropic sorority I belong to, we chose the Hyatt Regency, Downtown Indy for our convention location over 5 years ago. What a great choice! We were so pleased at the outcome for our nearly 500 attendees! What a great place for a convention or conference. Tracy Weed is the best convention services manager out there- and she lead us through the process, gave us great ideas and treated us grand! Thanks to Tracy, Melissa, Abdell, Tina, Jeff, Billy and countless others that made our convention one of the best ever! The guest rooms were so comfortable, quiet, clean and accomodating! THANK YOU Hyatt!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank dentalgal
Morley, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

We were thrown off at first by ZERO signs leading to their "main entrance" as we circled the block twice. We saw signs for a parking garage, but planned to do Valet parking. FYI, it's IN the parking garage as is their lobby entrance. We heard several other people complain about that as well. Beyond that, everything was great! There are kiosks in the lobby where you can check in if you've booked with your credit card - that was fabulous as there was a long line at the desk to check in with a host. It printed our room keys and a map right there at the kiosk! WOW! The room was really nice with a great view and we had the 'standard' room. We were there for a wedding reception and it was beautifully done.
The only other thing I would say is the rotating restaurant cost $55.00 per person for a buffet - No buffet is worth that much! And the cost to park was expensive.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
HyattIndy, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Indianapolis, responded to this review, 16 June 2011
Dear Iris981,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay here at the Hyatt Regency Indianapolis. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed yourselves during your visit and took full advantage of our Kiosk in the lobby. We pride ourselves on our service and facilities, and look forward to serving you in the future.

Brian Comes