“Do Not Pay Full Price”

Hyatt Regency Indianapolis
Ranked #21 of 188 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 17 January 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights January 9th & 10th. Fortunately, I booked the room on Priceline and got it for $55 per night. The going rate on these rooms is between $135-160. The location is perfect, the lobby has been renovated and is very nice, the customer service is impeccable, and I suspect that's why they can charge those rates. My problem is with the room we had - I asked if there was a complimentary upgrade available and they gave us a corner room which they said is a bigger room. I would hate to see a "regular" room. This room was small, decor dated and the lighting was not sufficient. That alone left me wondering how Priceline could rate this hotel 4 stars. We had drinks at Level One cocktail lounge, and it was very nice. Cannot speak for the restaurants as we did not visit them. Valet parking is $28 per day with in and out privileges. I would recommend doing that if you're driving; self parking is just a few dollars more. If I had paid full price for my room, I would have had a problem paying that parking fee, but at $55 per night, it didn't bother me. I love, love, love Priceline. However, I expected a nicer, more well-appointed room for a 4-star hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank snake2
Watchwoman, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2010

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Indianapolis. I was pleased to hear your positive feedback on our service and the recently completed lobby, restaurant and lounge renovation. I am sorry you were disappointed in the guest room. We are installing new flat screen televisions in February and have completed a model room as part of a guest room renovation to be completed soon.

We look forward to your return in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,883)

Reviewed 10 January 2010

We had a very nice stay at the Hyatt just before New Year's Eve, particularly because of Nick who helped us at the reception desk. The location is great, the room was clean and large, and the beds were very comfortable. All the employees we encountered were helpful and very friendly especially Nick.

The hotel is very large and was preparing for the upcoming New Year's Eve celebration. Even though they were busy with preparations we found that the valet parking guys were courteous and helpful and even the maintenance staff went out of their way to be helpful.

We wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Hyatt the next time we are in Indianapolis.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2009

Not a very good bargain for the price and watch the parking fees if you should happen to stay on the night of a Colts game! Ask for valet parking; otherwise, it will cost you $20.00 until 6:00 a.m. then an additional $3/$4 per hour thereafter! Older rooms, no happy hour, no breakfast of any kind (restaurant VERY expensive). IMO, Embassy Suites is a MUCH better deal (right around the corner).

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Missie1
Reviewed 13 December 2009

Room/ bathroom was not clean. Loads of dust on the bedroom floor, black marks on the bathroom wall, brown dirt around the washbasin taps. Generally the room/ bathroom did not feel clean. In addition the lighting in the bedroom was poor.
Finally, the room service was terrible. On the day I checked out (Dec 9), for breakfast I was given 4 pieces of completely burnt toast... I found it unbelievable how any self respecting staff/ management could deliver food in this condition to a guest's room. When I complained about it, the woman on room service phone duty assured me that she would reduce my invoice however when I got my final bill I discovered that she did not do this. My only positive comment is that the male receptionist at the front desk was very courteous and did reduce my final bill. However, overall this hotel is substandard.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank cmxAtlanta
Reviewed 26 November 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hyatt and had a terrible experience. This review is just a bullet point review of some of the problems we had because there isn't enough space to go through everything.
1. Check-in by candlelight? We were using the kiosk to check-in and the only light in the area was candlelight. Maybe romantic for restaurants but not for a check-in when you need to see what you are doing and read information.
1. Room - 3 hangers provided ( for two people for two nights), outlets in the bathroom didn't work, hairdryer didn't work. Cleaned our room on the first day and didn't remove the dirty dishes, but they did remove the bathroom floor mat and didn't replace it for the rest of our stay.
2. On the day of check-out we were suppose to have the room until 12:00 noon. While we were out of the room ( I was shopping and my husband was at a seminar) they cleaned it, and took our belongings out of the room even though we hadn't checked out. My husband rescued his jacket and cell phone from the housekeeper who was taking it to lost and found when he went to the room during a break and realized they had been removed! When questioned about why she took the stuff, she informed him I had checked out of the room. I was shopping and had not checked out!
4. My husband was going to check out of the room by noon however because the housekeeper told him I had already checked out he didn't. Later in the day when I met him, he asked me why I checked out when our plan was that he would. When we realized what happed and that neither of us had a receipt we called the hotel because we needed a receipt for business reimbursement. They said they would e-mail a receipt immediately. It didn't happen. I called them again two days later to request a receipt and they said they again said they would e-mail it immediately. One week later, I still haven't received a receipt,
5. Customer service - They don''t know what this means. When I complained about the room situation and the fact that they had removed our belongings before we checked out of the room, the desk clerk was very rude and stated that the problem was my fault because when I left the hotel to go shopping, I should have notified the front desk. You have to be kidding! I'm not accostomed to telling hotel clerks what my plans are. I've never been treated so rudely at a hotel. After complaining to the desk clerk, I called the general managers to let him know about the situation. He didn't seem anymore responsive to my complaints then the desk clerk, however he wasn't as rude.
I would never stay at this hotel again, and it is doubtful that I would stay at another Hyatt because of this experience.

All in all, this hotel is awful. We stayed her because my husband was attending a seminar in the hotel and we thought is would be convenient. I would much rather stay at another hotel and have our only inconvenience the one of getting to the seminar instead of the whole stay being an inconvenience because of a terrible hotel.
If you are traveling to Indianapolis, do yourself a favor and stay someplace other than the Hyatt Regency.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
5  Thank IndianaNana
Reviewed 20 November 2009

The electronic door lock failed twice, the Internet service was shaky, I was not given the refund I was promised for its failure, the restaurants have odd hours, and the conference rooms were average.
However, the staff was polite and friendly, and the location is good.
If this operation is typical of the chain, the chain is in trouble.
I would stay here again if and only if there was an event here I was attending.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank epoto
Reviewed 16 November 2009

Husband and I stayed at Hyatt (saw Robin Williams at the Merat) Nov 13-15. The location is in the center of the city and is convenient to everything. The staff there were professional and helpful. But last comment is correct. Hotel rooms are VERY outdated. Peeling, old wall paper, old TV and SQUEAKY bed with no solid frame. Makes those "special" moments a little difficult to enjoy. Bathtubs were slippery. They had mats but the housekeeping took the mat away after the first cleanup and did not return it. Housekeeping did not refill our shampoo/conditioner. We were given new towels. BRAND new....they weren't washed EVER and my husband and I were covered in white fuzz (you don't get that if you wash new towels) which was just a pain to get off.

Other than that, the Eagle's Nest - rotating restaurant at the top of the hotel - had beautiful views and made for a nice place for a drink before dinner (outside the hotel). Places to eat locally - Patachou for fab breakfast, Palamino's for lunch, St Elmo's for steak dinner and OUTSTANDING wine list.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple