“Better than some, but not a great Hyatt”

Hyatt Regency Indianapolis
Ranked #20 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Tamaqua, PA
“Better than some, but not a great Hyatt”
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Over the last decade of traveling for business I've stayed at about 20 different Hyatts across the country, so I'm kind of comparing this one to the others. I travel to Indy once or twice a year and stay there because I'm a Hyatt platinum member. The Hyatt in Indy is convenient to downtown and that''s a big plus. About two years ago, they did a lobby remodel and added a bar and new restaurant, which are nice, but didn't do much for the rooms. Frankly for what they charge, its time to cough up the bucks and do a sincere remodel on the rooms. They're slightly below average and year after year they promise to do more, but don't. Great restaurant on top of the hotel that gives a 360 degree view of the city AND has great food! If I wasn't so loyal to Hyatt, I'd probably pick another hotel downtown because of the room.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
GeneralManagerHyatt, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Indianapolis, responded to this review, 10 August 2010
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit to Hyatt Regency Indianapolis.
You are correct, we did a lobby and meeting space renovation a few years ago and we are extremely happy with the results. Our guestrooms do need renovated and we are scheduled for one in the near future.

Thank you again and we hope to serve you in the future.

Brian Comes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Korean first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 5 July 2010

I was unpleasantly surprised with my stay at the Hyatt. When I approached the front desk, I had to stand there almost fifteen minutes before anyone would even acknowledge I was there to check in. There were approximately six people working the desk, but onl three were with other guests. I checked in around 6pm on a Saturday evening. I informed them that I had decided to add a second day with a second confirmation number. He made it sound as if he he took care of it in their system. The room itself was clean. I did not have a view, but for the amount I paid, I really wasn't expecting one. The numbers in their phone directory were not correct. I called the number they listed for Valet and found it was for Housekeeping. They told me I had to call the front desk to have the valet get my car. They did not clean the toilet very well under the rim, and there were mold spots in the restroom. The picture of the pool makes it appear as if it could be a full size pool. The pool was small considering the size and price of the hotel. It was so crowded that it was basically just standing around in the pool as no one could really swim. All of the computers in the business center had notes taped on them stating the computers and printers were not working. On day two, my room key stopped working so I had to go get a new key. I called the front desk for the valet to get my car ready, but did not receive an answer. When I went to check out, there was only ONE person working the front desk at 11am on Monday. There was a line of a dozen guests all trying to check out. Not one of the FOUR kiosks where you can check in or out on your own were functioning, so everyone was forced to wait in line. When I finally was able to check out, I found out that they did not adjust the computer to reflect both confirmations being in the same room. It wasn't until I was almost done with my check out, did a second person come to help at the front desk.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank babygyrl_boo
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns regarding your stay at Hyatt Regency Indianapolis.

I am truly sorry for the inconveniences you experienced. Please feel confident that your comments help strengthen our commitment to providing outstanding service to our guests.
I have shared your concerns with several key managers.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith and to serve you again in the future.

Mansfield, Texas
Reviewed 4 June 2010

We were in town for the Indy 500 so the hotel was full. Check in went well. Went to our room which was hot. So we adjusted the thermostat and left for an hour. It still was hot. The engineer came very promptly to address the issue. He moved us to another room 2 doors down. Unfortunantly it was not really any better. So they brought us a box fan which helped a bunch. I just dont think this should be the way a Hyatt is....... beyond the air problem we did enjoy the pool and fitness room. both were nice and well maintained.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dpkgearman
Nashville, TN
Reviewed 24 May 2010

As promised by the hotel's website, the view of the state capitol from our room was spectacular. Unfortunately, we couldn't enjoy the view from the bed. The bed was positioned so that we had a view of a brick wall out of our room's windows. But, the bed itself was incredibly comfortable. Despite that, we found it difficult to get to sleep because of the street noise we could hear inside our room. Although we were on the 19th floor, we could hear motorcycles racing on the street below the hotel until midnight. In fairness, there appeared to be a motorcycle convention in town, so the hotel may be quieter at other times.
I was also disappointed by the bathroom in this hotel room. The rolled up vinyl bathmat by the tub was disgusting, and I expected, but did not find, a magnifying makeup mirror like most big city hotels provide. Although I appreciated the low voltage florescent lighting above the bathroom vanity, it was too dim for applying makeup.
Overall, the room was comfortable, but had a dingy feeling. The carpet seemed worn, and the overstuffed chairs felt "overused" - when we sat in them, we sank so far down that we thought the springs were broken. After the motorcylce noise on the street died down, we had a good night's sleep, but I would not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WendyTN
Boston
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Indianapolis for a business conference. They are doing construction on the plaza in front of the hotel so after I got off the shuttle it was a bit difficult to figure out how to get into the building. It was next to a mall and a very short distance from lots of restaurants, although the city appeared to close down after 6 PM. I checked in on Monday and stayed through Friday. Check in was easy, I was asked if I wanted a higher or lower floor and preferred higher. The lobby was very well maintained and the elevators were quick.

I was on the top floor, #20, in the farthest room from the elevators. I wondered if these rooms were given to people paying less because the window in this room did not look outside but rather the inside of the hotel (it was like overlooking the inside of a mall because there was an office building attached to it and I could look into the offices.

The two biggest drawbacks to this room were that you couldn’t tell what the weather was outside and whether to bring an umbrella and that you could hear the lobby music from the hotel. Because I could hear music in my room at 10PM I called down and they lowered it.

The room was very comfortable except for the deodorizer which I believed they used daily on the carpet, it was very fragrant and gave me a headache. A nice perk was that they gave you a small tube of toothpaste in the room. There was a small refrigerator in the room too.

Because I was the last room on the floor it seemed that everyday I was the last room to be made up. I typically left my room early in the day to attend the conference and everyday when I returned at about 1 my room was still not made. On one occasion I had to call downstairs because they hadn’t made up the room.

On the second night of my stay at about 10:30 PM someone was turned on above the room that made the whole ceiling shake and rattle. It turns out that there were air regulators above my room that was used to vent the bathrooms in the building and the whole mechanism was quite noisy. The front desk did have an engineer come up and he told me that the air handlers were above my room and he would shut them off. (This happened again and again I called to have them shut off)

The staff was very helpful and addressed any concerns I had quickly. Even to the point of calling me back days later to see if everything was going well. However, they never offered to change my room at any time, however the hotel could have been sold out as there were several conferences going on.

The hotel does not have free internet service and spotty wifi service. You either have to connect hard wire to the hotel service and pay 9.99 a day or buy the T-mobile wifi service for the same price. Note that the T-mobile service had a number of dead spots and did not work in the conference rooms and when it did work service was slow.

The gym was a typical gym for a hotel. It had several treadmills and ellipticals with some weight machines and dumbbells. Not fancy, but if you do a light workout it would probably be fine. There is the national Institute of Fitness and Sports nearby (about a 12 minute walk) that has all the equipment and weight trainer could need including an indoor trace and lots of aerobic classes.

I only ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant but it was fantastic. The breakfast buffet was $14.00 and it included made to order omelets and lots of fresh fruit and breads.

The staff was attentive and courteous. I would definitely stay here again if I was in Indianapolis except I would not stay in room #2035 which was quite noisy.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 2 April 2010

I only stayed here for one night but would have been happy to stay more. Staff is wonderful and helpful. The lobby area is elegant. The rooms are comfortable, clean, and mine contained a mini-refrigerator. I enjoyed exercising in the refreshing and warm-water (although small) pool. The exercise area looked nice as well, but I imagine one would not want to get there during crunch times of the day. Indianapolis downtown offers plenty of places to eat, movies, shopping, and other activities within a few blocks of the hotel.
My only gripe, which I failed to share with staff because I was too tired that evening and was in a rush at a.m. check-out, was the heating/cooling in the rooms. No matter what I set the thermostat at, the room temperature did not change; my colleagues stated they experienced the same issue. Luckily, I wrapped a blanket around my head and was able to fend off the too-cool room. I would stay here again but would make sure to resolve the heating issue before I settled into bed.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Cincinnati, Oh
Reviewed 15 February 2010

I prebooked and prepaid my stay at the Hyatt Regency but when the day to stay came we had whiteout blizzard conditions at home and were not able to travel. I tried calling the hotel and explaining the conditions and asked to move the reservation forward a day. I was treated very rudely by the agent and they refused the request. I am a VIP card holder for Hyatt hotels brands I have never had this type of service at any of the other hotels. I didn't want a refund or to cancel the reservation, I was simply asking to move it forward a day because the weather conditions made it dangerous to travel and the region I live in was under an emergency alert. Horrible place.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Stella16bella
Watchwoman, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Indianapolis, responded to this review, 11 March 2010
Dear Stella,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Indianapolis. Unfortunately, the hotel would not be able to re-instate your reservation if we were sold out.
I am sorry you were disappointed with our service and I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.