“Wonderful Hotel”
Review of Omni Severin Hotel

Omni Severin Hotel
Ranked #15 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 19 September 2011

This is a first class hotel! Excellent staff, great rooms, and extremely well located in downtown Indianapolis! I wouldn't think twice about staying there again. The bed was very comfortable, there were plenty of towels in the bathroom, and the shower had excellent water pressure.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 September 2011

We recently stayed at the Omni Severin and had a great experience. The hotel is very nice. Clean rooms. The staff was so friendly and really wanted to make sure you had everything you need. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a suite with balcony and really enjoyed the view.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2011

On average, I overnight in Indianapolis once a month and the Omni Severin is always my first hotel choice. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and readily willing to help (a trait that ironically seems increasingly absent in the service industry). The lobby, hallways and rooms are always clean.

The hotel restaurant's dinner offering is supperb. Good enough, too, that I don't mind ordering room service on those nights when I have to work in my room. The breakfast is good but standard fare, but then I'm not a big fan of breakfast anyway so the granola and yogurt suffices for me.

The only drawback of this hotel is the funk that emminates from Olives, the cigar lounge/bar off the lobby. The gift shop, whose back wall is the opposite side of the bar's wall, often reeks of stale stogie. If you need anything from the gift shop (and are not a cigar fan), get in, get what you need, and get out. But then, who hangs out in hotel gift shops for long anyway.

The hotel location is great, walking distance to many great restaurants and shops. It is connected to a shopping mall via a covered walkway on the mezzanine.

I have been an Omni Select Guest member for a decade so granted that drives the upgrades I am routinely provided, but I keep going back to this hotel simply because it is such a great place to stay. But, I initially joined the Select Guest program of this hotel for the very reason that I knew it would be my first preference on all return trips.

Room Tip: You get what you give, so be nice to the front desk agents.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank flyindrivintryin
Omni_Manager, Manager at Omni Severin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2011

We appreciate the review and thanks for choosing to stay with us time and time again. As always let us know if there's anything we can do to make your stays with us more comfortable.

Reviewed 13 September 2011

I recently stayed at the Indy Omni Severin. Overall this was a positive experience: while rooms are relatively small for US standards (not sure about my floor anymore, it was 1 below top floor, I think it was 18 ot 19th), all is there. You even get in this small room, a 42 inch flat screen so you might consider bringing along a media player.
Also very good was the bed: big king size bed with all needed pillows and good boxspring.
All of this could have been spoiled by the overly loud airco (and it really was way too hot outside to stop the airco), if I wouldn't have brought my traveler emergency kit including earplugs :-)

People at reception were very helpful, restaurant was fair quality for money with friendly waiters. Breakfast had a bigger, and higher quality choice than other hotels I stayed at in indy. Shuttle busses were available every 15 min from 7AM on, so very convenient.
And of course, being in the city centre, connected to the Circle Mall, allows you to walk around in an airconditioned environment almost up to any address downtown.

I'll certainly go back to the Omni... just hope they'll fix those loud airco's.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

We certainly will take a look at our HVAC system. This summer was particularly hot and we had to push our system much harder than usual. We're glad to hear that your stay was positive overall and we hope you'll return next time you're in Indy.

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We travel several times a year and this hotel is always one of our favorites. It's attached to the City Center Mall and the convention center so its convenient when the weather is bad. The staff is always pleasant and the rooms are clean.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Okay, first a few things out of the way....

I am not a hotel employee. I am a real business and pleasure traveler just like you who has had the opportunity to stay at many hotels over the course of a year. Check my other reviews on TripAdvisor. I do a rather good job of telling things as they are.

When I stay at a hotel, I usually pick one that falls in the mid-price range. You know, the hotels that give you the best bang for the buck. For years my favorite hotel brand was Marriott. Can't beat their hotels. However, since doing more business conventions, I have found myself staying at Omni hotels. First, the one in Atlanta and now Indianapolis.

Quite frankly, if you are not here on business, I can't for the life of me think why anyone would come to Indianapolis. It's a nice city. Very clean. Nothing to see or do except perhaps the zoo or a football game. On my free day, I walked around the entire day and found nothing overly exciting here. There are, however, very good restaurants close to the hotel.

Oh, back to the hotel....

They say the first impression is a lasting one. From the moment I arrived, I felt I was being treated like a VIP. I stepped out of the town car (Carey Indiana - EXCELLENT) and there were several bellboys at the door entrance eager to assist and open the door for me. I walk in, and there is a very lovely woman bidding me "Good Morning." I get to the desk, and though I am several hours early, I am quickly checked in and handed a room key.

Since I was here on business, I booked three rooms for myself and my partners. They were all under my name, yet the hotel desk was very good about assigning the rooms to my partners and making certain that we were located together.

My room was on the 11th floor, 1110. It was practically next to the elevator.

Complaints have run amok here that the rooms in this Omni are small. I suspect so, due to the fact that this a hotel that was converted from something else. However, if you book a room with double beds (instead of a King) you are getting a larger room, essentially going from 180 to 244 square feet. So, the double bed room that I had didn't especially seem tiny at all. Perhaps the bathroom is smaller than I have seen elsewhere, but I made perfectly do with the space I had available.

The room was very clean. Lots of closet space, an iron and electronic safe in the room. The television was a Panasonic flat screen HD. I don't know what signal the hotel is getting, but the picture pixelated often even though the weather was fine. They really need to do something about their TV signal.

One thing everyone must do is join their rewards program. It is free by going to the Omni website. It allows you free WiFi and complimentary beverage in the morning delivered to your room. I am guessing I am at the second-tier GOLD status. I love the fact that before I go to sleep I fill out a little form requesting a carafe of coffee, juice or water to be sent to my room and when I wake up, there is a little tray outside my door along with a newspaper. All that is totally complimentary just because I am a rewards member. I think, even at the bottom rung of the program, you get all those amenities. Certainly something more than I get from something like the Marriott.

Bed was very comfortable. Lots of pillows. A plug next to it to charge my iPhone. A desk with plug outlets. Very, very nice indeed.

If I have ONE complaint it's the loud air-conditioning in the room. It turns on and off according to the thermostat settings. Of course, many of us like a cold room to snuggle beneath the covers with. The thermostat goes to 60 degrees. However, every time the air conditioning comes on, it makes a loud, grinding noise that makes sleeping impossible. So, I pretty much had to turn the air conditioner off at night.

If hotel management is reading this (and I am certain they are), I am hoping you can fix the air conditioner noise in that room by the time I return next year.

Another problem (not the fault of the hotel) is the noise from the street below. My window was facing the Claddagh Irish Pub. On the weekends, it is a noisy hotspot. Now, on the 11th floor it really didn't bother me. However, I feel sorry for those on the lower floors. There is no escaping that noise. And really, there is no escaping street noise as the hotel is surrounded by nightlife activity practically on all sides.

If I can sneak one more problem in the mix it would be the elevators. There are only two that I know of off of the lobby. They are small. They are rather slow. During conventions (and remember, there are conventions here almost weekly) those elevators turn into local cars that stop at every floor and get crowded rather quickly.

We were fortunate enough to snag the breakfast package for our stay. Usually breakfast costs $17 for the buffet, we got it at an extra room rate of $10 per night. Totally worth it. Nice selection of fruits, yogurts, breads, cereals, eggs, sausage and bacon, french toast or pancakes (alternates by day) and an omelet station where a cook makes them fresh for you. My favorite was the biscuits and gravy that were available every morning.

If you don't get the breakfast package and want to eat cheaper, you don't have to walk far to find an eatery.

Back to the hotel....

On my final morning, I had shared car service waiting with Carey Indiana. I am standing outside of the hotel with my luggage at 5:40am. The bellboy was extremely helpful in making certain that I got to my town care as generally, they can drive up to any one of two locations at the hotel. He went out of his way to look for the car and alert the driver of my presence. It was another one of those special moments where I felt like, "Wow, they really are attentive to people's needs here."

So, as you probably have gathered by now, I highly recommend this hotel. Yeah, I have read a few of the negative reviews posted on TripAdvisor -- and I am certain they are legitimate complaints -- but I would have to side with many more that are giving the highest accolades to this hotel and their service. From the moment you arrive, the staff goes out of their way to open doors for you and make you feel welcome.

I look forward to returning next September.
For dinner we thoroughly enjoyed Harry & Izzy's, a few feet from the hotel, which has an excellent variety of food at reasonable prices and casual attire. We also ate at the Brazilian Steakhouse, Fogo de Chao, which is a 5-minute walk. If you have never tried a Brazilian Steakhouse, this is the world's most renowned chain. We even enjoyed milkshakes at Steak & Shake across the street. Damn good -- eat with a spoon -- you get a very large glass topped with whip cream and a cherry for $3.95. Tremendous bargain, and really, I was surprised how good they were.

The Circle Center Mall is connected by a skyway. To be honest, nothing really special about this mall. Not even an Apple store inside. The mall was mostly dead, and nothing really caught my eye about it.

Of course, all the hotels in the area connect to the Indianapolis Convention Center by a sky walkway. However, taking that walkway from the Omni to the Convention Center will waste 12 minutes of your life. A horribly, long haul that takes you through the mall and beside a parking garage. However, you can get to the convention center in 4 minutes if you simply walk outside and across South Illinois and South Capitol streets.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank RonboNJ

We really appreciate the thorough review and the kind words about our hotel. As far as the AC noise issue, we will definitely take a look with our engineering team and do our best to limit the volume. We certainly don't want anyone losing sleep.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

Stayed here for a wedding. Booked the room as a deal that was provided to the wedding guests. Being from out of town we found the location to be fantastic. Wish I had realized how nice the city was. I would have probably stayed another day or so. The hotel is close to many great restaurants, stores and to Lucas Oil Field, home of the Colts. The hotel is very clean and appears to have recently been updated. The staff was very friendly and helpful. My only issue and it was a minor one was that our room was rather small. I would definitely stay here again if I return to Indianapolis. I would just request a larger room.

• Stayed: September 2011

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We're glad we could win you over as a guest during your stay for the wedding. We certainly have larger rooms available and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Indianapolis.