Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel
HIExpress.com
The Alexander(Indianapolis)
US$209
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmonument circlerooftop poolthe club loungewar memorialfront desk staffwithin easy walking distancebusiness tripself parkthe room was niceroom keylucas oil stadiumbeds were comfortablestarbucksspgcvsvaletrace
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I feel compelled to write this review because it was such a bad experience and others need to be forewarned. To preface what I am about to say, it is relevant to mention I am very vested in staying at Starwood hotels, am a platinum level member, own multiple timeshares through the Starwood Vacation Ownership program, and have never had a bad experience in any of their properties ... until now.

I have stayed at this property a few other times and while the service has always been a bit hit or miss and the hotel is in desperate need of updating, the location is good and overall value has been sufficient. However, what happened this time means that I will never return.

There was work being done in the hotel on some of the upper floors - which I understand is needed from time to time. However, this work didn't just happen during the day but into all hours of the night AND so close to rooms where guests were staying that the noise was keeping people up. The first night was irritating but not bad enough to keep me awake. The second night though was an entirely different story. The noise was literally so loud I could barely hear someone when I was on the phone. This continued on so long that finally at MIDNIGHT, I couldn't take it anymore. I called the front desk and the person acted like she had no idea what I was talking about. She said she'd send someone to check into it and ask them to stop. Noise continued. I called again at 12:30AM, she said she knew some work was being done and would ask them to stop. Again, noise continued. I called again and after 3-4 calls, I finally reached her around 1AM and was told she'd send someone again and tell them to stop. Noise continued. Finally, at around 2AM, I left the hotel and went elsewhere. No idea if and when it stopped but do know that the 2nd person in my party in another room heard noise on and off throughout the night.

There are multiple problems with all of this. 1) Who schedules work like this during the middle of the night and then why so close to guest rooms that it keeps people up all night?! 2) The service around the issue was horrible. I called multiple times and nothing was resolved. I was never offered to switch rooms to another part of the hotel. Never offered any compensation on the room (I would have never charged a customer for such an experience). No one ever followed up to make sure it got resolved or that I was happy. Nothing. Nada. Zero. 3) Where is the management in all of this? If a customer had such an experience, I'd sure as heck make sure a manager was involved and that person would ensure the issue got resolved and the customer was happy.

Instead, all I received was a 3,000 point bonus. That for horrible service, a night of absolutely no sleep, and having to leave and pay for another hotel room elsewhere! Completely unacceptable and really an insult. Also, this was in addition to all the other things about the hotel that weren't good ... but I won't go into that here.

In the end, I think this experience says a lot about the hotel management and culture and is the reason I won't ever return. Period.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank bluesboy72
Scott H, General Manager at Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Bluesboy72,

First off, we would like to apologize for the unacceptable night you experienced while staying in our hotel. What you experienced between the noise, the lack of responsiveness from our staff, and lack of compensation was uncalled for. You should have never stepped foot out of our hotel without us making your sleepless night up to you. It leaves us great distress to know that we have failed a customer.

We do currently have a guest room renovation in progress and although you might here noise during a regular renovation, it is unacceptable that the noise was so loud and keeping our guests up. We will be sure to notify our renovation crew of what happened to further prevent this from happening in the future.

Although we cannot erase the horrible night you experienced here, we sure hope that you will come back so we can make it up to you. If you could please contact me directly at the hotel, I would love to speak with you.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I enjoyed this hotel. We were fortunate enough to have a view of the memorial in the centre of the circle. The room was comfortable, the staff friendly, and generally a good place to stay. The only down side was the restaurant area. It looked a little unappealing.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Scott H, General Manager at Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Terence B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review regarding your most recent stay here at the Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

It is great to learn that you found our staff to be friendly and your room to be comfortable. We are also glad to hear that you loved your view of the Monument Circle from your room. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority here and we are always pleased to receive such praise and acknowledgment of such a positive manner.

We are regretful to learn that you found our Alexander's Bar and Grill to look be unappealing. We have had many wonderful reviews of our restaurant which has many different menu options and we hope that in the future you might reconsider your position and choose to dine with us.

Once again, thank you for your review and it would be our pleasure to be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Booked the hotel for a good price and was placed in a corner room on the ninth floor. View was goo and room was clean. Great pillows. Bar was closed which was a bummer but the cafe had cocktails so that was good. The elevator situation was confusing and I wished that they labeled the floors with what was on the floors. The fourth floor was the garage and parking for example. The room was great until I realized that we could hear EVERYTHING because of the poor sound proofing. I could hear my neighbors conversation even though they weren't to loud. When they flushed their toilet I would swear they were in the same room. It was unbelievably bad. They thankful settled down about midnight. I will never stay there again because of this issue. Too bad because it had such potential.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elizabeth A
Scott H, General Manager at Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear Elizabeth A,

Thank you for writing a review. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your experience during your recent stay with us.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and loved the view from the 9th floor. However, we are very regretful to learn that you were confused on our elevator and floor levels and that you were also very disturbed by the noise from your neighbors. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority here, and it causes me great concern when I hear of an instance where we failed a customer. We believe all of our guests should have a peaceful and comfortable night’s stay with us, and we are very sorry that during your stay you were unable to do so.

These are issues that we do not take lightly and we can assure you that our management team will address and look into these issues and help prevent them from happening in the future. Once again, thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention. We hope that in time you reconsider your position and choose to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Hotel staff was friendly. Room was clean and we had a beautiful view of Monument Circle from our 15th floor room. However, please know the "Green Choice" option means that no service staff will come into your room to empty trash, check your towels, etc. We learned through experience. We were annoyed at the $50/night deposit they did not tell us about in advance. Location within walking distance to many attractions. We were feeling great about our stay until my daughter's school bag was stolen from our car after someone smashed in the window of our car (it was there less than 5 minutes) Hotel staff was apologetic and for our trouble and gave us one day of "free" parking. My nine year old daughter was outraged they made us pay for parking. I have mixed feelings.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Boiler76,

We certainly appreciate you taking the time to write us a review on Tripadvisor.com. It was a pleasure having you stay with us, and we are very apologetic about the issue you had with your car.
We are happy to hear that you found our staff to be friendly along with your room clean. It is also wonderful to hear that you loved your view from your room of Monument Circle and our central location right in the heart of downtown Indianapolis. Thank you for your kind comments, and they will be shared with the entire team!

We are very sorry to hear that you were inconvenienced by our “Green Choice” option, along with your deposit. I have spoken with the front desk staff to make sure that upon check-in they explain the full details of the Green Choice option, so you and other guest clearly understand it in the future. We are also incredibly sorry to hear that you had issues with your car being broken into during your stay. Please do not hesitate to contact us about any questions or concerns you may have prior to the incident, I would love to speak with you. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a review. It would be our pleasure to continue to have you as a valued guest of our hotel.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We were on a quick, one-night, road trip...Had some business in Indy. This hotel is right in the center of it all!! Walking distance to mall, many restaurants and attractions! Staff is over-the-top nice!! Very Clean!!! Would definitely stay here any time I'm in Indy!!!

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear LEichh,

We certainly appreciate you writing such a great review about your New Years stay with us here at the Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel. It was a pleasure having you and your friends as guests of our hotel.

We are so happy to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and nice. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority here and we love when a guest recognized our staff’s efforts and takes the time to say thank you. We are also glad you found convenience in our central location right in the heart of downtown Indianapolis.

Thank you again for your wonderful comments; they will definitely be shared with the entire Sheraton Indianapolis team. We look forward to your return in the near future.