“Close to the Convention Center”

The Westin Indianapolis
Ranked #24 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Spent time in Indianapolis for convention. The best thing about the Westin is it's location to the convention center. You could be on a 15 minute break and make it up to your room and back to conference room in the convention center. The lobby is nice, has comfortable feel with good lighting and nice spots to read a book. The workout area and pool area are great, plenty of space and equipment.

Down sides of my stay. The front desk staff was somewhere between rude and acknowledging I was there. You need a room key to go up the elevators, I lost my room key in the gym, had to go down to the front desk for a new key. This was a challenge and wasted a good portion of my morning. The room itself is not very well lit, the bathroom is small and lacks a fan. Since the bathroom does not have a fan, mold is on the ceiling.

For down time leave the hotel, left on Washington st. will take you down to the river walk.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Indianapolis

Reviewed 17 April 2012

I even got upgraded to the Executive Floor and it really wasn't any great shakes. It looked like the hotel had a few fresh touches since my last visit - probably in preparation for the Super Bowl - but it was still the tired and outdated typical Westin design. In order to accommodate power plugs for a PC and a phone, they added a multi outlet extension under the desk. Newer hotel designs have these built directly into the desk.

I think my my biggest issue was the tiny bathroom, which seems to have been my trend lately for Starwood properties including another Westin last week and a W the week before. The dual 'Heavenly Shower' head was partially clogged and in need of replacement.

The staff is friendly and courteous and that part you will remember. The only restaurant choice in the hotel is a Shula's Steak House. While likely popular with the convention crowd (convention center is across the street), I found it to be overpriced with the usual obscene portions of food offered. Although tasty, the sheer size of the portions were rather disgusting.

Think Marriott and expense accounts and you'll have this hotel properly assessed before your arrival.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am truly sorry that your experience did not meet your expectation and that you were displeased with different aspects of your stay. I do greatly appreciate you taking the time to make mention of the hospitality offered by staff, and genuinely hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again during any future trips you make to Indianapolis.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

I travel to Indy on a weekly basis.

Location:
- Easy access (< 0.5 mi) to the Wapahani Trail by the river. There's enough trail to do at least a 4.5 mile run (total).
- A few good dining options close by. I like Panera Bread, Champps, Pita Pit, and Cafe Patachou

Service:
- Front desk people are generally friendly and willing to help out for special requests
- Sometimes it's hard to get a hold of somebody via your room phone

Food:
- Snacks in the club room are great (water bottles, yogurt, juice, sometimes fruits, chips, snack bars, etc.)
- The breakfast provided in the club room is SPG standard, nothing great. It would be great to have something freshly prepared instead of the typically stale SPG eggs/toast/etc. Some kind of collaboration with Cafe Patachou would be AMAZING.

Fitness Center:
- Workout facilities are pretty solid options with plenty of space.

Bed:
- Very comfortable, though I typically bring my own pillow, since I'm pretty picky

Bathroom:
- Dual shower-heads don't add much to the experience
- I've had to switch rooms multiple times because the tubs would not drain
- No bathroom vents make it difficult to shave after showering

Decor:
- Parts of the room have been updated (i.e. wallpaper, tv's)
- Parts of the room need to be renovated (carpet, furniture, bathroom vents)
- Room feels a bit stuffy
- Note: See the newly renovated Keystone Sheraton (Indianapolis) for a great example of a good room.

Room Tip: Corner suites on the North side of the building have a great view
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Just a basic Westin convention hotel. Nothing more. I would stay here again but that is because it is the convenient Starwood. Like a lot of Westins, I have to use an extension cord and unplug the bedside radio behind the bed to charge my phone at night. You would think Westins would learn. Marriott and Hilton have had lamps with plugs for years.

Decent club lounge with hot breakfast options. I was ungraded to a lower level suite and room was fine. They offered a green option for forgoing cleaning, you can turn in a card for 500 Starwood points. I consider this a win, win, win (me, hotel, and the world) - this alone is enough to keep me picking a hotel if there are no real negatives.

Also there is a Starbucks in the lobby.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 8 April 2012

This hotel was not what I expected a Westin to be like. The rooms were very outdated, very cramped, you could hear every little think outside of your room, the bathroom was extremely small and the tub was worn and dirty. The staff was not friendly or helpful at all. We forgot a bag of laundry and the hotel cleaning staff threw it away. My sons 25 dollar nike and addidas sandals were taken from the pool area. On top of everything else, and employee from the gift shop stole our credit card number and tried to charge 2800 dollars to it. Horrible experience.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank mac3of4
Reviewed 31 March 2012

If you're coming here with the assumption that it will be like other Westins where you have stayed, it's not even close. The lobby is the best looking part of the hotel. Previous reviews about the worn decor in the rooms and dark, spooky hallways are all very honest. The bathrooms are anything but good sized. It would be a very tight squeeze for even two average sized people. Good thing I was alone while I was here. The walls are paper thin and I could hear people on both sides of my room. I definitely will not stay here again for any possible return visit to Indy. I'll choose another Starwood Preferred Guest (which, apparently that "status" doesn't even matter at this hotel!) hotel or maybe another place. Don't waste your time here.

Room Tip: Ask for one that is on the south side....at least the daytime sun would brighten things up a bit. R...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank love2travelalot216
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

I am very sorry to hear that your experience with us resulted in such displeasure. Please know that the happiness of our guests is of the upmost important to us and we deeply regret that your stay with us did not meet your standards or the standards you have experienced at other Westin properties in terms of environment or service. We also greatly appreciate the loyalty of our Starwood Preferred Guests and apologize for anything that you experienced that made you feel that your status and loyalty was not of great importance to us. Thank you for your feedback, we sincerely hope that we have the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Thank You!

Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed here for a volleyball tournament. The hotel was fairly nice...not as grand as some of the other Westins I have stayed in. The corridors to the rooms seemed a little dark and worn. The rooms were a bit older, but my room was in good condition, and the bed was great. The bathroom was very small. I think all the rooms have flat screen TV's. The minibar food items in the room were ridiculously priced, and were sitting on sensors, so DON'T PICK ANYTHING UP or you will be charged! The lobby was nice, and the staff was very helpful. There is also a nice indoor pool and spa.

The best part was the location to the convention center and the mall. All are connected by walkways, so for us, it worked out very well. Lots of restaurants within walking distance as well. I didn't use my car all weekend.

We had a very good experience here, and I would stay here again, but the hotel could use a renovation.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We appreciate your kind words in regards to our location, lobby, pool and signature Westin Heavenly Bed and also appreciate your feedback about the areas of the hotel that you feel could be improved upon. We greatly value our guests’ opinions as well as respect the value of your time which is why we are so thankful that you took a moment to provide us with your feedback. Please know that we will take careful consideration of all issues raised in an effort to continually improve and meet the needs of our valued guests, such as yourself. We look forward to any future opportunities that we may have to welcome you back to The Westin Indianapolis.

Thank You!