“nice hotel but could be a great destination.”

The Westin Indianapolis
Ranked #22 of 188 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Nice location close to Convention Center. Hotel has been recently remodeled according to website and you can sees signs of that. Staff at the reception desk are attentive and we'll trained but there were more than a few hiccups along the way.

First morning after check in went to Breakfast in Shulas with my son. Ordered the buffet but asked for fresh omelets. Waited almost 45 minutes before waitress brought our check. We reminded her that we hadn't gotten our food yet and she was confused. 30 minutes later still no omelets and I get the hostess. She apologizes but said they are very busy.I respond that there are only 8 tables occupied and several are also having issues. 10 minutes later the waitress comes back to say she didn't like the way the eggs looked and asked for them to be remade (my guess... They sat on the counter until they were garbage). Eggs finally come and they are wrong. I eat mine anyway and my son asks for a new one (again) to go.

Leave the restaurant and go up to our room... door won't open. Back to the front desk and they give me new keys. Up again and door still won't open. Back downstairs and desk calls security (Justin). Justin arrives at room and can't get in either. Leaves and comes back...still no success. I need to leave for Conference so my son waits. Justin finally gets into room and tells my son it was a wiring issue and is fixed. Several hours later go back to room and door is inoperable again. Go back to desk, explain earlier issue and they call Justin. He tells them the lock is fine and to program new keys. I ask about changing rooms and am told there is nothing else available. Back up to the room I go hoping for the best but no such luck. The door won't open. Back down we go, see a different agent, explain our story and she calls Justin, again. She also tells me I am being moved (amazing since there was no availability 5 minutes earlier). Back we go again and someone new from security arrives. He knows nothing of prior attempts by Justin but is equally unsuccessful. Leaves to find Justin and comes back a short while later. Manages to get door open... Finally.

Move to new room and it appears fine. However, housekeeper apparently doesn't like to work thoroughly. First day, soiled towels removed but no replacements left...had to pull them myself off cart in the hall. Today, housekeeper again takes soiled towels, leaves none (nor a bath mat). Also fails to clean sink (toothpaste residue still there) or bathtub. When bed was made, comforter pulled into position but sheets underneath never reset or tucked into mattress. Sloppy work to say the least.

A colleague upgraded to Executive for $40 more per night. Was supposed to include wireless (which it turns out is free to our Conference guests staying at Westin), gym access (also free as every room key opens gym) and access to executive lounge with breakfast, daily hors d'oeuvre and snacks. First day, appetizers were a half tray of fried won tons (ice cold) and a basket of fruit with mold on the oranges. The next morning there was cereal but not a plate or bowl to be found. Certainly not worth a $40 per night upcharge.

Have been to Indy previously for Conferences. Chose Westin because of access to Convention center and marketed "amenities". Would reconsider a future stay..In fact, another organization I belong to us in Indy for a Conference in two years and not sure I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Capitol Street
2  Thank Alan d
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

We totally get your comments and look forward to fixing them for all future guests. Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,505)

Reviewed 31 March 2014

It was March 2014. Our company held our National Sales Meeting (200+ people) in Indy and I was also a new Mom. The only way to make the trip happen was to bring my Mom and baby. The staff, especialy Nick, was extremely helpful in helping me make the experience a positive one. They made sure we had a room that was spacious and bright so my Mom didnt feel like she was stuck in a box for three days. There were extra hands to help us load and unload the "daycare" and they extended our checkout time to match my work's itinerary for the last day of the conference.

Given the situation, I expected some support from the place we were staying but the Westin went above and beyond. They didnt make me feel like they were doing me a favor. It felt more like I was family and they wanted all of us to have a great stay. It was such a relief.

As a side note, this worked out great for a conference venue. The meeting rooms had great accoustics and were spacious. The temps were just right - not too cold or too hot. The food was great. There were lots of options and healthy ones too.

The negatives: There was a little hiccup with Internet access in my room on the third day - something about the account reaching too many connections. they resolved this quickly though. I called the front desk and they had me set up on an alternative account within minutes.

Food variety - While good, I was a litle tired of the same cookies and snacks by the end of the conference.

Room Tip: Being near the elevator made is simple to run upstairs between work sessions and surpisingly there w...
1  Thank Lisa N
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thanks for the great review and your kind comments about Nick and the team. We all know how difficult it can be to travel these days, especially with a little one. I'm glad that we were able to accommodate you and make the experience more enjoyable.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed at the Westin during my first trip to Indianapolis for the John Gardner Gateway Courses Conference. The staff were extremely friendly. The price for the room was very reasonable, and the rooms were especially nice, bright, and clean. The food was very good. I enjoyed the shower heads, the television reception, and the beds were comfortable. The meeting spaces were perfect.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

It was great having you with us and we truly appreciate that you chose to stay with us for your conference. we look forward to working with you and your group again soon.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Indianapolis is a great place to attend an event and the Westin is a great place to stay. Everything was so convenient and with the attached walk ways you really never had to brave the elements oustide unless you wanted to. The room was clean, comfortable and far enough removed from the hub bub of the conference that I enjoyed a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for your great comments about the city and the hotel. We truly appreciate that your confernce was here in town and that you were about to enjoy yourself while you were here. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

This was a nice property for a convention. The rooms are well appointed and clean. The concierge lounge is in the lobby, but was good. The only complaint was that the pool area was kinda weak. Pool was old and dated, as was the hot tub. Hot tub water was luke warm. There is no spa, no sauna, no steam room. There is a nicely equipped work out room. The hotel has an excellent location downtown, with the skybridge making access to most points downtown by indoor walkway.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with family the executive suite has living room with pull out sofa that works w...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your great feedback, we truly appreciate it. We appreciate the great comments about the workout. If your travels bring you back to Indy again soon, please let me know and we will help direct you to a day spa for all the other comforts you are looking for.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Stayed here for a conference. The hotel room was clean and comfortable. I like the "make a green choice" program where a guest can forego cleaning and get a card for $5 for food purchases on property or turn in at the end of the visit for 500 Starwood points. Service has been very prompt and kind. The meeting spaces are very comfortable and well appointed.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thakn you for your kind words about the hotel and our great team. We truly appreciate that you chose to stay withus. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I enjoyed a 5 night business trip at this Westin. Everything went very well including the group dinner at Shula's, my guest room, the conference rooms, and the catering. Check in at 5 pm on a Sunday was hectic since the hotel had been fully booked that week-end, but my room was ready pretty quickly- a nice suite that included key access to the Executive Lounge. As others have noted, the work-out room was well equipped and well maintained (although the pool was under repair).
My room was spacious, very clean, and VERY quiet. There was some confusion about the opt-in/opt-out "green room" policy, but this was cleared up after my room was cleaned once even though I opted out. Internet was very good, even at the regular level.
Since most of my meals were through the conference, hence catered by the hotel, I was pleased to find the quality very high and the choices better than the typical fare. OK, so the pastries were the usual meh hotel ones, but there was oatmeal with various fruit toppings as well as yogurt smoothies. Other meals were similarly good.
My only complaint was that parking was $35/day! This is Indy, folks, not Chicago or SanFrancisco. Apparently the hotel has to use a city lot, and the only benefit of having the hotel valet service is that you can do in & out without extra charge.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us your outstanding feedback about your recent stay with us. We truly appreciate that you and your group chose to work with us on this important conference. With regards to our parking rates, we are very competative with the rates charged at the other hotels in our competative set, in fact we are below the leading downtown hotels. we do offer rates which include parking, WiFi and breakfast.. If your travel plans ever bring you back to Indy, please let me know and I will see to it that your experience is top of the line. Thanks again.