“Very nice hotel; Did everything mostly right”

The Westin Indianapolis
Ranked #24 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The Westin Indianapolis is a very nice hotel right in downtown. I haven't stayed in a Westin in a while, but I do recall the first time I slept in a Heavenly Bed. It was great. Maybe the other hotels caught up because this Heavenly Bed wasn't as impressive. Still nice, but not what I remembered.

On the other hand, I can completely vouch for the Heavenly Shower. That was fantastic.

The hotel did a pretty good job dealing with a crush of high school students attending a football camp. When I first saw the buses unloading, I thought I was in trouble, but the hotel opened up the service elevator to deal with the crowds and I managed to pile in. In the morning, when the kids were leaving for camp (and of course I was checking out at the same time), there was another huge crush of hotel guests but it all worked out.

Two complaints:
The tv wouldn't work because -- I think -- it was running off a satellite feed and it was raining. That's more of a complaint against the satellite service in some ways, but it also reflects a decision by the Westin to use that service. It might not have been the rain, but the TV service was down for a couple of hours while "it was searching for a satellite". After a long day of travel, staring at a blank screen wasn't what I wanted.

I couldn't get through to the front desk/operator/whatever to set a wake up call. I tried a few times. Nobody picked up. If I'd needed something more important, that would have been really frustrating.

Internet was well-behaved. Breakfast buffet in the restaurant was about what you'd expect. Usual fare of fruit, breads and hot breakfast foods. Oatmeal was a nice surprise, even in summer.

Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank NC_traveler1998
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thanks for the great comments about everything heavenly. We truly appreciate that you chose to stay with us and glad to see that you would do so again. Can't wait to see you next time.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed July 6th and 7th in SPG King Suite 709 and the Bedroom AC was not up to the task of keeping the BR cool. When I first went to the room the BR AC was not cooling at all and after a half hour of waiting for the compressor to come on, which it didn't, I called the Front Desk to report the issue. I waited an hour and no one ever showed up we decided to go to dinner. We came back a few hours later and the AC was still not working. I called back down to the desk and reported the issue again and waited about an hour again no one showed up. I had to go into the BR and noticed the AC was cooling so I called back to the Front Desk to let them know it was working. Sometime during the course of the night the AC quit working again and I woke up in the middle of the night the bed and I were soaked with sweat. I changed clothes and went back to bed after finding a small dry spot to sleep. The next morning I went to the Front Desk to report the problem and was told it would be taken care of, they did provide some compensation, so we went to breakfast only to return to the room to find the bed made but still no AC. So I made my 4th or 5th call/trip to the Front Desk for the same issue to report the problem still wasn't fixed. About an hour later the 1st person showed up to my room that I saw to fix the issue. The AC worked great all day until, you guessed it, that night. For the 2nd night in a row I had wake up drenched in sweat, change clothes and find another dry spot to sleep. I went to the Front Desk again to report the issue again and was told that they couldn't compensate me again even though they never fixed the issue but offered me SPG points. I told the Front Desk person why would I want points for a hotel brand that I wouldn't be staying in again. All I got was a blank look.
My girlfriend has been staying here for years for work and has told me that this is not the norm and we plan on coming back to Indy in Aug and has convinced me to give it one more try

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hoosiersteel
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thanks for the feedback about 709. The AC is fixed and is working properly.

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stop there on the way home from Chicago as an overnight stay we were very impressed with the room rate and room it self i'm 6 foot five so it's hard for me to find shower heads that's tall enough without me ducking down, they have a waterfall shower head that has to be at least 7 feet tall so I was very impressed with that. We have never stayed at the Westin before but we will now.

1  Thank osugrad94
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thanks for the great review, we truly appreciate it. Glad to see hear about the shower head working out so well for you. Anytime you are passing through, please don’t hesitate to stop by.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I have to preface this review with a revelation I made this weekend. My wife and I are more B&B people than hotel. With that being said, our experience at the Westin was not exceptional, but typical of large hotel chains. The location is perfect. It is centrally located in downtown, two blocks from various fine dining establishments and shopping, It is connect via a skywalk to the convention center across the street. There is also a Starbuck in the lobby and also is the coffee in the room. There is underground self parking in front of the building or your may opt for valet (which we did). The attendants were very courteous and quick in getting us into the hotel and retrieving our car, they even asked if we needed help with directions and asked if we wanted the drinks we had left in the car to be disposed of..full service and very professional. Note: If you are following a GPS, the address is on Capital Ave, however you will need to enter the hotel via Washington Street,

Check in was a breeze and the front desk staff was courteous and quick. The hotel has all of the amenities listed on their website. One of the nice security features of the hotel is that access to floors is only allowed by using your room key in the elevator, a great feature for a metropolitan hotel. There also a steak house (Shula's) in the hotel which also provides the meals for room service and dining in the hotel.

The room was spacious, with a beautiful view from the 11th floor. We had a king room that had a love seat with a pull out bed. The room decor was contemporary (which I liked). The bathroom was a bit small, if there was a pocket door to the bathroom there would have been enough room.

A convenience not mentioned were the lamps on the bedside tables that had dual electrical outlets which allowed us to plug in our phones and other devices. Note, If you need to use the Wifi, there is a charge for this service

A few luxuries provided were a Westin robe as well as wine classes. The bedding was soft and keep us warm through the evening although a one of the pillow cases was torn.

Room Tip: East rooms have a great view of the down town area.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin P

Thank you for the great commentary about our great hotel. We truly appreciate that you pointed out all the great features and chose to share your thoughts. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

The Westin is centrally located and right near the convention center. Shopping and restaurants are all within walking distance. The staff are all very friendly and the hotel appears to be recently remodeled, very clean. There is a Starbucks on the lobby level. They have an indoor pool and hot tub and you can smell the chlorine all the way in the lobby near the elevators.

1  Thank LindaKayC
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thanks for the great review, we certainly appreciate your kind comments about our location and the newly renovated rooms.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

It was our second visit to the Westin, and it didn't disappoint.
The management greeted us and treated us like royalty. They took care of the zoo tickets, reservations to Ruth's Chris & us!
The room was clean. Beautiful view of downtown. The staff was OUTSTANDING! Very friendly and helpful!
You can walk to SO much from this location. Most of the restaurants, the stadium, convention center, ballpark (could see from our windows). We watched the fireworks from the ballpark from our room.
The only thing (not really even a complaint) was the pool chemicals were STRONG. Made my eyes water just sitting in there. Pool was all the same depth (4ft) and had a hot tub. It was relaxing though.
We look forward to our next visit!!

2  Thank Jammie W

Thanks for the great comments and we look forward to your next visit as much as you do. Very glad to see and hear that your experience was so good. Thanks again and see you next time.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

My friends and I came over to Indiana for a VGC and we needed a place to stay so we choose the westin. Best choice we have made all weekend. The staff was beautiful and i like the smell of the shampoos. Soooooo everyone that is visiting Indianapolis should stay at the westin because it is what all the cool kids are doing these days.

Room Tip: Choose a room without a view of the marriot hotel. I like the marriot but i just wanted a better vie...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jesus Q
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thanks for the great review. Glad that you like the shampoo, I am a big fan as well. Your comments are greatly appreciated, and we look forward to welcoming you back.