“Good location for easy access to downtown Indianapolis”

Courtyard Indianapolis South
Ranked #88 of 180 Hotels in Indianapolis
O'Fallon, Missouri
“Good location for easy access to downtown Indianapolis”
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We used this hotel as our base for a weekend to visit downtown Indianapolis without having to pay a premium for actually being in the downtown area, and it was perfect for this. We could easily jump on the highway and be in downtown within 10 minutes, but the hotel was in a quite area with some other hotels, set back from any big noisy roads .
Lobby is new and modern, with the little restaurant being perfect for me to get my morning oatmeal.
The room was your standard Marriott room and was clean and well kept.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
smckay090, General Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis South, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Dear esd3104,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this review. I am happy we were able to provide you with an enjoyable stay and we hope you had a wonderful time exploring dowtown Indianapolis. We greatly appreciate your patronage and look forward to the next opportunity to serve you.

Best Regards
Scott McKay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Henderson, Kentucky
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We were in Greenwood to see family for New Year's. The courtyard was a nice hotel. The room was clean and the lobby was nice. We could not get wifi in the room. The hotel was very loud leading up to midnight but it was New Year's eve. We will probably stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011
smckay090, General Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis South, responded to this review, 7 January 2012
Dear Kelseymom:

Thank you for choosing our hotel on your visit to the area. We greatly appreciate your patronage. I am happy we provided you with an enjoyable stay and certainly apologize the wifi issue and noise. We rarely receive a complaint over internet access and I am confident this will not be an issue on your next trip. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon.

Best Regards
Scott McKay
Minnesota
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Fine hotel right ON the freeway. Very bad noise all night. Judging just the hotel....nice. Judging the amount of sleep......not.

• Stayed October 2011
Detroit
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Stayed 1 night, wish we had more. Very nice room, awesome bed with memory foam topper. We asked for a balcony room so we could sit outside and enjoy a relaxing drink.
Lobby was just refurbed and is very nice, with small restaurant, Starbucks coffees, and small convenience store. Pool and hot tub looked great, but we didn't get time to use them. Staff was all very friendly.
Great location, with several upscale restaurant/pubs within walking distance.
Best of all.. the rate was only $90.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I am usually a huge fan of any hotel in the Marriott family, but I have to say that this hotel was a huge disappointment for me. I was redeeming points for a free night while visiting friends in the area and thought I'd try the Courtyard since I seem to usually only stay at Fairfield hotels when I travel.

The hotel sits kind of far off the main road but is quite close to two restaurants (although I wouldn't recommend walking to them, even in summer). Upon arrival in the parking lot, I found it a little odd that there were no more than a handful of cars in the lot on a Friday night.

The lobby seems recently redone and very up-to-date and check-in was a breeze, even though the hotel's internet was down and everything had to be done manually. The hotel only has three floors and my room was located on the third floor, which also appeared to be recently redecorated.

As for the room....eh. It almost looks like this hotel used to be something else and they've tried to bring it up to Marriott standards. The room had a large sliding glass door with a small balcony, which might be its best selling point. The bathroom had a sink area outside the tub/toilet area, which I always associate with low-rent hotels. The small closet shared the space with the external sink, which made the area look rather tacky. The tub/toilet area had a switch outside the bathroom, which was a little odd, and the room itself was rather gloomy. The tub seemed a little small, even with the bent shower bar to lend the illusion of more space. The shower had good water pressure, though.

As for the sleeping area, there was a king size bed, a dresser with a flat screen tv on it, a mini fridge (with a microwave sitting on top of it), a desk and chair, a couch, and a coffee table all crammed into this one room. With the dresser, fridge, and desk lined up along one wall, it gave the impression that "Well, we had to put it somewhere". It just felt rather cluttered. The bed was extremely comfortable, though, and I got a great night's rest.

The fitness room was a little lacking, with free weights, three treadmills, and one elliptical machine. No one was using the pool or the fitness room while I was there.

The lobby has a public area that also serves light meals, but with the breakfast ending at 10AM on a Saturday, I was unable to try anything there.

Overall, I won't be staying at this hotel again. There is a Fairfield on the same road and I think I'll give it a try next time, as this simply didn't live up to my standards in a Marriott hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
Reviewed 25 July 2008

Stayed for a very long weekend in Indianapolis for a wedding. I am a huge Marriott fan and this Courtyard did not disappoint. This is a traditional Courtyard by Marriott but what sets it apart is the outstanding staff. The staff is kind, hard working and so accomodating. They could not do enough for me as I was using the meeting room while I stayed there. Plus the entire property was spotless. Located in the Southport area of Indy, it is the best place to stay in Indianapolis. Thanks for a great time.

• Liked — The friendly and professional staff!
  • Disliked — NOTHING.....all just wonderful.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Illinois
Reviewed 17 March 2008

As we drove up to the hotel, we passed several other similar rectangular hotels--basic highway motels of every brand and color, and this one was no different. We stay at Courtyards almost exclusivetly, and the only thing similar with this location was the artwork and furniture coverings. The king room (207) was very tiny. The bedskirt was frayed and unhemmed. The bed was saggy at the edges. If we were not paying the premium $124/night we never would have guessed we were in a Courtyard. And unlike the typical motels, this one does the usual Courtyard thing of actually charging extra for the breakfast. Add insult to injury! The only way they can salvage this stiuation is to rename it what it is, as a Fairview Inn-- at least you would get what you are expecting. They should not charge this much for this hotel/
location. I felt decieved.

The key entry system to the outside doors were broken, and desk staff acted like it was a new problem every time it was mentioned. At least they were nice and friendly, but you get the feeling they are just college students doing their shift--not invested in the success or failure of this hotel. The light under the door was glaring--we had to use towels to block it. For whatever reason, our door had a big gap under it, whereas others didn't.

Parking was insufficient in the number of spaces--always filled, and there is a closed restaurant next door.

I would not recommend this to anyone unless you have no choice and need to pay this much for so little.

• Liked — many restaurants nearby
  • Disliked — small rooms, poor value for money
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank IllinoisTrvlr
bshaw317, General Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis South, responded to this review, 12 November 2009
I am glad to have the opportunity to respond to some of your concerns in this review. I am proud to be the General Manager of this HOTEL for the past 2.5 years. Since becoming General Manager we have had many milestones. The most important being a Platinum Award from Marriott for "Outstanding Guest Service" for the last part of 2008 and a Gold Award for the first 6 months of 2009. I have an outstanding staff that has been with the hotel, some since the doors have opened. In the summer we do employ one college student who has been here every year since her freshman year. She is graduating this year and will be a loss to our organization. In response to the condition of your guest room I can only say that we have QA audits two times a year and have always passed without problems. The housekeeping supervisor has been with the hotel for 5 years and does an outstanding job with the room and entire facility. Breakfast is an additonal charge. This isn't something new for Courtyard as it has been the same for 25 years. The breakfast isn't what you would get at any other hotel offering a free fare. Our restaurant is just that..a restaurant complete with a wait staff and dishes. We actually make anything from our menu on a per order basis. The restaurant also provides fresh cut fruit which varies with the season, "eggs made to order" including omlets with fresh vegetables, eggs benedict, or any other style requested. It also includes a waffle station with fresh fruit toppings, two choices of breakfast meats, biscuits and gravy, oatmeal, breakfast breads and pastries, and a selection of coffee, teas, juices including orange, grape, apple, cranberry, and grapefruit. Not a bad selection for a restaurant and a cost of $8.95 per person or $5.95 for children 12 and older. Children less than 12 eat for free. We DO NOT and will never not disclose the charge for breakfast. There are other equally as nice of hotels in the Marriott portfolio that offer a free breakfast. One of them being the FAIRFIELD INN by Marriott. I do believe that it's the hotel you were referring to when you talked about the "Fairview Inn". There is no charge for the complimentary breakfast. This is a great option for travelrs on more of a budget. In regards to the key entry system. Life/Safety issues come first with the ownership group as well as Marriott. We take these issues to heart. We realize the reponsibility placed in our hands per our guest for their safety.. We don't cut corners and take short cuts. The ELECTRONIC door locks get exposed to all sorts of weather conditions as you would expect in Indiana. I employ two full time engineers to keep things in working order. If there was an issue reported about a door lock then the issue would be addressed in the same day, if not in the same hour. We have 24 hour coverage from the Engineering Department. The Chief Engineer has been with the property for the last four years and remains here to this day. The closed restaurant beside the Courtyard was an unfortunate thing that happens. Some businesses suceed where others fail. We have hopes that there will be a new restaurant there soon. But until then there is Cheeseburger in Paradise, Carrabba's Italian Gril, Texas Roadhouse, Wendys, and Steak n Shake within a 2 minute walk.
Courtyard hotels are by nature designed for the business traveler. With our 25th year the Courtyard is going through re-birth with exciting new technology and guest room design. We continue to be the leader in business travel. I'm sorry that your experience was less than satisfactory. It's my goal and my staff's goal that every guest leave with a positive experience. I'm sorry that you didn't but invite you to visit us again. Remember at "Courtyard it's a new stay" Thank you reading this review. I love this hotel and my staff!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Indianapolis
Fairfield Inn Indianapolis South
#63 of 180 in Indianapolis
Holiday Inn Express Greenwood
Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis South/Greenwood
Baymont Inn & Suites Indianapolis South

Been to Courtyard Indianapolis South? Share your experiences!