“Poorly managed hotel with a decent water park attached”

Rodeway Inn North Conference Center
Ranked #159 of 186 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Our family (two preschoolers and two adults) stayed here in late July. It was a strange experience.

First, we had made our reservations when this was still a Holiday Inn property. We received an email later from Holiday Inn stating that it is no longer a Holiday Inn property. Should have been red flag number 1.

We called the hotel to confirm that they still had our reservations. They told us not to worry about it, everything was transferred over to them from Holiday Inn. We asked them to email a confirmation of the reservation to us. They stated they were unable to do so. Should have been red flag number 2.

We called a couple of nights before departing to confirm the reservation. They did not have the correct number of nights, nor the correct price or package (waterpark). We were told by a manager that he would take care of it. Should have been red flag number 3.

Upon arrival, we were told the price would be approx. $200 more than was quoted when we made the reservation. But, the front desk clerk was very helpful, and although it took about 15 minutes, she got everything straightened out and printed our correct rates for the stay. She was very pleasant.

The room itself is typical ‘70’s style Holiday Inn. Nothing fancy, certainly not updated in any way, but pretty much what we expected and fair for the price we paid. Nothing dirty or dangerous in the rooms.

Our children loved the waterpark. We found it to be relatively clean, well-staffed, not overcrowded, and well run. Some signs of rust and wear, but nothing out of the ordinary for a hotel water park. Great for smaller children.

Later during the stay, we noted very long lines for check in at the hotel. It appeared that incorrect reservations were a significant issue. We heard many similar comments from guests in elevators and hallways.

The free breakfast buffet was about what we expected for the price. Hot food, average quality. Servers were polite.

The real issue with this hotel is a lack of security in the late night hours. Many groups of youths ran wild until approximately 3 am nightly, slamming doors, screaming to be let into rooms, etc. While this is obviously first and foremost a parenting issue, the hotel has a responsibility to do what it needs to do to keep the peace. We expected some additional noise at a water park hotel catering to kids. This however was insane. When I attempted to figure out what room was causing the ruckus, I determined that it was multiple rooms throughout the floor. In addition, some drunk sounding adults could occasionally be heard yelling at the kids to “close the door”. The walls are thin and the doors close very loudly.

So if you are planning on staying here:
Get your rate quoted in writing. If they won’t do it, don’t give them your credit card. A hotel that can’t confirm via email shouldn’t be in business in 2011.
Bring earplugs.

Recognize that the quality of this hotel is worth about $125 per night max. Don’t pay $300, as some previous posters stated.

6  Thank DTJGE

Reviewed 31 July 2011

Stayed overnight with my husband and 4 year old daughter . She loved the water park.Water was right temperature. Room was nice and clean.Lobby is gorgeous.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2011

So, it is the hottest day of the year. I see this beautiful add in the Sunday newspaper and make a reservation. It was over 97 degrees outside and it felt the same inside the water park. No ventilation. The kiddie part had cool water but I didn't bring toddlers I brought my twin 12 yr old sons. We had to buy a fan for our room because it was unbearable to sleep. The manager blamed it on us turning the air to low but we actually had it set on 70. So then it was the person who stayed in our room prior to us. Wow the hallway on the 4th floor felt like you were outside. The manager said, Well, heat rises and we don't air conditon the hallway. The hallway to get into the hotel stayed unlocked. Guests were in the pool way after midnight our first night. That was blamed on security...The buffet for breakfast had a lot to be desired. If you wanted milk and coffee you had to pay for one. The waitresses barely spoke English. The best time we had was in the atrium pool area. Didn't even bother going to the water park the second day. The kids had fun there and the Childrens Museum was awesome but that is not part of the hotel just the package. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!!!!

Room Tip: little to no air condition. Old TV. No ventilation in bathroom. Do not recommend.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank rnona
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We made a quick stopover in Indy on the way to Chicago and I found this hotel for a cheap price via a hotel price offer website. The hotel is dated and really needs some general TLC to keep it on par with newer offerings. I guess the water park is the main draw, but since we were not there for that, it was a real disappointment. I was taking my wife for a romantic getaway and it was somewhat of an embarrassing start since I booked some nice hotels in Chicago. Everything was basically clean, but things felt so old that it made us wonder just how many times something can be washed and still be 'clean'. My comments might be overcritical, but there are a lot of hotels in that general area, so I would guess they need to step it up a notch if they are going to compete as a hotel and not just as a water park with rooms. Service was ok; we checked in late and someone was at the desk and gave us a key. We just slept and left, but my overall feeling was not positive. Next time we do a stopover in Indy we'll spend a little more and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JasonSed
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We decided to take our three kids to carribean cove for a night since it has been so hot outside. When we checked in the staff was not very friendly. Upon getting to our room we discovered that it was dirty and small. We were told that this room would accomadate two adults and our children ages 10, 7, and 2 We were way to crowded! The toilet seat had paint peeling off of it, the shower curtain had mildew on it, and the bench in the room had a big white stain on it. None of the ice machines that we found worked. At first we were really enjoying the kids section of the water park, then it became very over crowded and it was hard to get around and keep my 2 year old from bumping into people. We were unable to enjoy the lazy river because the water felt like hot bath water. We expected it to be cool and relaxing. The arcade was disappointing because just about every other game took our money but did not work. Our money was returned to us by the game room attendant, but we wanted to have fun playing games with the kids. If you are thinking about going here, I wouldn't recommend it. If you do go, check your bank or credit card statement, because they charge you something different than what you were told!

9  Thank momtomy3
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We attended a family reunion at this hotel. It has been recently renovated, and it is beautiful. From the time we walked in the front door, we were treated with respect and a spirit of helpfulness. The staff was excellent. They appeared to have a culture of service.
Something added between the time we booked and the time we arrived was a free full, hot breakfast, with waiters serving. Cleanliness is number one with me, and they provided it.
This hotel had apparently lost its Holiday Inn franchise sometime earlier. Believe me, they have made up for it and then some.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Lindhy
Reviewed 8 July 2011

We had the best time, I was satisfied with everything! The room was clean & had everything we needed. The hotel employees were always helpful & very friendly, The water park was soo much fun! The employees here were helpful also. There were always lifeguards present this made me feel as though my kids & I were in A safe environment. The breakfast buffet was great! Lots of hot food as well as the usual "continental" choices also. Thanks go out to eveerything you guys have going on there! It was wonderful!

2  Thank Beverly056