“Kids had a blast”

Ranked #153 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
indiana
“Kids had a blast”
Reviewed 8 March 2010

I booked this on the 1-800 line and they mis-informed me that the water park tickets were included but when I arrived I found out that was not the case, so I would call the hotel directly to get accurate rates. I told the lady at the desk it was not her fault she didnt book my hotel, she gave me tickets for free for the second day which I thought was really nice. I booked a regular hotel room and while we were there we seen better rooms that has balconies looking on a pool, pool tables, air hockey, and areas for children. There was fees for room service as there is with any hotel, so we went to one of the two resturants in the hotel where the kids eat for free. We got the package with museum, zoo, and water park tickets. It was totally worth the money because we all had a blast, I felt like a child myself. The water park was a little crowded but this is expected with any place you go i feel. Overall it is a fun-filled two days and very fun.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Indianapolis
Reviewed 8 March 2010

We went to Carribean Cove with a small group today. As we were leaving, a young boy about nine or ten years of age suffered a spinal cord injury in the shallow kiddy pool area. He may have fallen off the red crab slide. The life guards quickly immobilized him and called an ambulance. A terrible and frightening thing to witness. Please think again before taking your children to this water park. This could happen again to ANY child!!! I hope this young boy will be OK.

• Stayed March 2010
2 Thank WesleyIndianapolis
GeneralManagerHIN, General Manager at Rodeway Inn North Conference Center, responded to this review, 24 March 2010
The safety of our guests is of tantamount importance to us. Accordingly, our life guards are well trained in first response for any injuries or first aid needed at the water park. Because of the risk of serious injury, they follow specific protocol for injured persons complaining of back or neck pain and that includes calling EMS for transport to a local hospital. We choose to be very cautious with this type of injury. By following the proper procedure we were able to prevent any serious injury.
Mattoon, IL
Reviewed 27 February 2010

We stayed here wanting to enjoy the water park. It was too overcrowded, the lifeguards were way to few for as many people who were at the park. Although there were lifeguards throughout the area, they did not enforce the rules. The front desk staff was not helpful at all. When I attempted to lodge complaints with the many levels of hotel management noone seemed to care. All my complaints have been tossed to the side. It is quite obvious that Holiday Inn is not very concerned about customer satisifaction. Both of my children were injured at the park, my fifteen year old was injured bad enough that we had to seek medical attention. Noone at the hotel seemed to think it necessary to give any attention to the matter. If you have to stay in this area I would not recommend this hotel, however I would recommend the Drury Inn across the street, better service and you get more for your money.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank abaldwin76
Our lifeguard staff is well trained in dealing with any injuries when reported to them or observed by them. We conduct in-service trainings that involve CPR, use of AED, backboarding to prevent further neck/back injury, etc. to ensure the staff is using proper protocol in all instances.

We do attempt to contact guests who claim injuries after they depart and, indeed, have done so in the past when necessary. The safety and security of our guests is of primary importance to us and will continue to be.
Fairborn, OH
Reviewed 20 February 2010

First, the hotel itself is fine. Rooms are comfortable. Staff in the hotel, nice -mostly helpful. The indoor waterpark, The Caribbean Cove, is another story all together. We visited on a Friday/Saturday in winter - so it was particularly crowded. And given such a large crowd of people, there is very little staff/life guard supervision. At the entrance, it is posted that anyone visiting the waterpark is to have a wristband, however, no one checks the wristbands. Anyone can walk into the waterpark area. It also states that children under 12 are to be accompanied by parents. No one checks if a child is accompanied. It truly is a very chaotic atmosphere. Our son stayed in and by our grand children the entire time they were in the water, however, even his presence couldn't stop the rough housing by older children. (All ages of children are allowed in the same areas). Life guards do walk the pool areas, however, they appeared to ignore much of the rough housing. Our 3 year old grand child was "tackled" by two 12 (ish) year olds rough housing, and his left leg was injured. We went immediately to find first aid. The first aid we found amounted to a young lady that was able only to take an accident report and give us directions to a local hospital. A visit to the ER ended with my grandson in a cast from the top of his knee to his toes. We understand that accidents happen, but they happen more often when you have a lack of professional supervision, a lack of trained emergency staff, and particularly the uncaring attitude by some of the staff that we observed at the Caribbean Cove waterpark. It would be my opinion that if you are going to operate such a facility you would want your visitors to feel comfortable that their safety while visiting is paramount. You will not get that warm fuzzy here. We called to follow-up on the accident report that had been filed. We told the young man that our grandson had suffered a leg fracture, and that we wanted that added to the report. His response, "is that ALL you wanted?", and he hung up. Rude, uncaring, unprofessional! A symptom I think of how the waterpark appears to be run. Obviously, we will never visit again, nor would we ever refer anyone we cared about to this facilty.

Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank CLHFairborn_OH
Boulder, CO
Reviewed 10 February 2010

This hotel is disgusting. I stayed in room 401 on the Club Level. Toilet clogged called front desk at 6 pm before going out to dinner and they said they would send someone. They never did so I returned at 10 still clogged then told no one from maintenance on duty.

In addition, the heating system didn't function properly. Two options inferno or igloo.

By the way my room had one of the funkiest smells like old cooking grease. Just to make night complete, saw a cockroach running across my toiletries in bathroom.

I swear this cold make the list of Dirtiest Hotels in America.

Really gross. Better options around, if you really must stay in this part of Indianapolis.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank TravelBoulder
Warsaw
Reviewed 29 January 2010

We have stayed here three times previously (always during summer months) and had a great time. The water was always warm, it wasn't too crowded, it was clean, staff was fine. I don't think the lifeguards are rude, as I have read in some other posts, I just think they are trained to focus on their jobs and not socialize with each other or guests. It is nice to see them paying attention to their duties and not playing around; that said, it would be nice if they could at least smile sometimes. Now on this visit we went during January and ths visit did not turn out to be nearly as nice as our previous trips here. There were way too many people, possibly due to the special rate they had or possibly due to the day passes they are now selling. We hardly got to use the slides because the lines were so long, every pool was packed, and you couldn't even relax in the hot tubs as they were overloaded with people also. There were times when they were out of towels in the waterpark area due to so many people and we often could not even find seats in order to take a break.. The water was too cold most of the time we were there. I did not find any of these things to be an issue when we came three times previously during summer months. We plan to give this place a try one more time this summer, but if that visit turns out to be anything like this one I doubt we will be back anymore. And I hate to say that because we had such a wonderful time the other times we have been here. I am hoping this was just a fluke and that our next experience here will be great.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Indiana
Reviewed 17 January 2010

We took our daughter (2yrs old) to this Hotel, for the purpose of ther water park. I reserved our stay through the generic Holiday Inn Reservation number. I asked the representative if the price included the tickets for the water park. Her response was that it was all included. We were very excited at this point. Uon arrival we were informed that we had to pay an additional $20.00 per ticket to enter the water park. We figured since we drove 2 hours, we might as well obsorbe the cost and continue. Later that night the Hotel was attacked by hundreds of cheer leader who had no respect for the other guests. We were awaken multiple times through the night by cheerleaders running up and down the halls. This was a holy terror for parents of a two year old. The Front desk responded by stating, girls will be girls. For breakfast we ordered room service. We were informed of a $2.00 delivery fee and 20% gratuity.....once again for the sake of a good time we obsorbed the cost. 1 1/2 hours later out food arrived, yet was not what we ordered.....I contacted the room service advisor who stated they would make the order right and bring it to me as soon as possible. I contacted them 45 min later and they forgot about my order. 15 min later a delivery guy whom couldnt speak english brough me a mixture of things from the buffet. Once again i called the room service advisor who stated they were busy and wouldnt be able to make the correct order, so thought it was acceptable to give me a variety of things from the buffet. .....custonmer serive blows.....not worth money

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family