“Great customer service”

Clarion Inn & Suites Northwest
Ranked #94 of 185 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My husband had a work trip in Indy, and I tagged along. He booked one evening in a regular room and added an extra evening once we got there. The front desk person was very nice and upgraded us to the whirlpool suite right away. That was awesome for a run of the mill business trip, however when I looked at the room number it was still being cleaned (we could see the room from the front desk, which was a little weird to us that she put us there with a cleaning cart clearly there and the door open.) The person cleaning was vacuuming and hurried and finished and got out. I kind of don't think the room was really that thoroughly cleaned. The carpet clearly hadn't been fully vacuumed, the bed was made but not as perfectly as I'm used too (and I stay pretty middle range hotels), and the comforter on top had something on it. Also when you look out the window there was a bunch of garbage scattered all over. We discarded the comforter and checked the other blankets which were in fact clean.
There was a paper that said they had 100 channels with Direct TV, but initially we only got several very fuzzy channels. I played with the cord a little and it cleared everything up, but a far cry from 100 channels. The tv was nice though. The bed was very comfortable. I had been having some neck issues and slept great with the bed and pillows provided.
Breakfast was decent enough (probably a step above the cold continental offerings), oatmeal, little muffins, cereal, bagels, bread, a waffle maker, some sausage patties, and pre-made egg patties.
Since I was at the hotel while my husband worked, I considered swimming. However the pool didn't really look clean when we looked in on our way up to the room, so I decided to forgo that idea. The hot tub was great when we decided to give it a try. No complaints there at all. (We did use the one in our room not the whirlpool that is in the same area as the pool though)
It was about 20 minutes or so from downtown and the same distance opposite direction from a bigger selection of restaurants which worked out fine for us. There isn't really much besides fast food nearby.
The hotel could really use some updating, which it seems is in the future. I'd consider coming back with a little overhaul and better cleaning.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank DivaJetSetter
ClarionInnGM, General Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2012

Thank you very much for the feedback on your stay. Since you were here we've gotten the HD channels activated and now have over 110 HD channels including six ESPN offerings and eight different HBO selections. We have recently painted all the rooms and are working on other updates at this time.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed for the President's day weekend in a double bed "suite", which is really nothing more than a large room. Not even a room divider. It came with a mini fridge and microwave. It had a small couch and two double beds. New 32" flat panel HDTV, but only a very limited selection of HD channels.

The room was certainly large enough to accommodate two queen beds, but they only put in doubles.

It does have an indoor pool, hot tub and work out room which are adequate, but nothing spectacular.

The self serve free breakfast was okay and included waffle maker, sausage patties, hot eggs, cereal, breads, but the coffee was awful.

Other than a business office park not much else around in the immediate area besides a gas station and fast food joints.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

At the time of your stay we did not have the HD channels activated which is why there was a limited selection. We now have over 110 HD channels to choose from including six ESPN selection and eight HBO choices. The rooms are spacious enough for Queen beds because we have recently taken out the dividers in order to make space for the new Queen beds that are coming soon. With the old room configuration there was not enough room for the Queen beds and we wanted to make those available to our guests who have requested them. Hence, the removal of the room divider. Please check back with us and try us again once we've gotten the Queen beds in.

Reviewed 25 December 2011

Not many guests. Very quiet, Decent bed. Both down and down alternative pillows were given per bed, Nice perk.

Room Tip: King rooms have a sofa.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anthony B
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Room was bigger than average. King room with pillow top and down pillows. What was interesting was the front room with full size sleeper with cocktail table. Between they area and the bed was an arch. It added a nice touch. One complaint- TV is severely outdated.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 4 November 2011

We never even unpacked. The room was very dirty stains on towels sheets lamp shades and just about everything else in the room. When we said we were going to another hotel the clerk said that was fine but would charge our card anyway. Run from this place dont waste your money you wont get it back.

Room Tip: Don't choose one at this hotel
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank KWSW88
ClarionInnGM, General Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2011

I'm sorry that we checked you into a room that had not yet been cleaned. That was our mistake and I've made sure that we did not charge you for the stay. While we had clean rooms available that I'm sure would have met your expectations, we understand that getting checked into a dirty room even by mistake is not acceptable to any guest.

Reviewed 12 July 2011

I arrived around 200pm plenty of parking for a semi...this is an older facility from the outside it average for an older motel but inside is great..well kept...very clean...great beds...nice and quiet great for a day sleeper...and the people were also great...I cant remember the exact price but it was very reasonable ....when around northern Indy I will always stay here...cant beat it!..

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 May 2011

This Clarion Hotel is in a decent area and seems to be well kept.... until we attempted to use anything in our room.

First, the positives: The hotel offers a nice lobby, breakfast area, and pool. The rooms are clean and comfortable as you would expect for a hotel in this class.

However.... upon settling into our room, it didn't take long to realize that maintenance needs to be more diligent. First thing I always do upon entering a hotel room is to adjust the temperature. After fiddling with the controls I finally coaxed the A/C compressor into running.... for 30 seconds. The room remained stuffy and a bit warm throughout the night. Also, the in-room phone was unusable. Not sure what the issue was, but it sounded like the dial tone was having a fight with a bobcat. Finally, I had chosen a room with a whirlpool tub. One problem.... there was no way to plug the tub. There was some odd thing in the plug hole, but there was no way to make it stop the water from draining. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, yet I was baffled. Obviously, a whirlpool tub is useless without the ability to hold water.

For fairness, I need to mention that due to the fact that my sleepy family of 5 arrived at the hotel late, these issues were not mentioned to the staff until morning, so they had no opportunity to rectify them. The staff was very apologetic and professional in the morning. I would have been more upset had this not been a free stay through then Choice Hotels rewards program. Nevertheless, having this many things broken in one room should never happen at a hotel in this class.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank AWittyMoniker
ClarionInnGM, General Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2011

We clearly fell short in making sure that the room was ready for rental but were able to quickly remedy the issues once the front desk was notified. I am sorry that you did not get the chance to notify the front desk earlier because we certainly would have been able to immediately move you to a more suitable room and ensure that your stay was everything you'd expect.