“Decent Hotel Despite a Bit of Dust”

Indianapolis Marriott North
Ranked #56 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Seattle
“Decent Hotel Despite a Bit of Dust”
Reviewed 1 September 2011

This was my first visit to Indianapolis. My colleague recomended the Marriott as the best option in the area, close to the client site we were visiting. I was able to secure a room at the end of the hallway with a great view of the lake. Two problems with the room though: First, the bed was somewhat soft...I always have this complaint. I need a good firm bed for back problems and the only thing I can do is sleep on the side of the bed that is least likely to get the most use. The other problem was that the room hadn't been dusted too well. There were some cobwebs in the bathroom and a layer of dust on the bathroom vanity. I don't think that room was used very much. In all fairness to the Marriott, I brought this to the attention of the front desk upon check-out and they "made it right" for me, which I greatly appreciated. But I am always surprised that hotel housekeeping doesn't keep a more careful eye on such a basic issue.

One suggestion: rent a car if you are staying on this side of Indy. The cab ride was $80 from the airport and there is no shuttle available at this hotel even though there is a large mall with a Nordstrom just a few blocks away. A hotel shuttle to the mall would have been a nice amenity but I guess most guests drive. Next time, I will rent a car because the Indy airport is really easy to navigate and the rental car lots are right at the airport, no rental car shuttles necessary.

I did like the workout room very much. Nicely equipped and open 24/7. I didn't have to wait for a cardio machine.

Yes, I will return to this Marriott if I need to come back to this area next time. The front desk team was excellent and attentive. Bell staff very friendly, too.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake-view room above the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 2 August 2011

The Marriott North in Indianapolis, Indiana was the site for a recent business meeting that my company hosted. The services were fantastic, and the staff is beyond excellent. They anticipated our every need, and couldn't have been more helpful.

The hotel itself is beautiful, has a wonderful lake for walking, and is next to some very nice upscale shopping. The food for the meeting was delicious and very well presented. I did not have occasion to eat in their restaurant, but would imagine the same quality.

One evening we hosted a cocktail hour with snacks on the outdoor terrace overlooking the lake, and it was also wonderful with excellent snacks and services.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with lake view- very peaceful and relaxing.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank PhyllisB_18
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed 13 July 2011

I will begin by saying that the front desk, and lobby staff are exceptionally friendly. Each staff member greets you throughout your stay. Check in process was efficient and friendly as well.

Rooms are a bit dated, but spacious, clean and comfortable with Bath and Body Works toiletries. The housekeeping service is pretty basic they just changed my sheets, emptied the wastebasket and replaced used toiletries. There was no straightening at all, or effort put into tidying the room despite a generous daily tip.

The wireless internet is really very bad, last night it was down completely, this happened on a previous trip as well. In general it is so slow that it is not possible to use Facetime, watch a video online or even surf the net. It was painful to even check my business email.

For the television, there is no channel guide in your room or a Guide of channels or programming available on the TV. I called to ask if maybe I had missed the location of one in the room and was told someone would bring one up to me, it never arrived. There are no premium channels (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax) and a limited lineup of other channels.

The concierge lounge staff was very friendly, and the selection of breakfast food is fine, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, fresh fruit and pastries etc. Basic alcohol offerings at cocktail time, I didn't have any of the appetizers or drinks.

Parking is free, there is plenty of it and the hotel location is convenient to the Fashion Mall and Castleton areas.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 11 July 2011

If you are coming to the north side of Indy this is the place to stay.... The staff is incredible from checkin to departure...... They have a great deck to have a bite to eat or a evening drink......... I have stayed here four times over the last two years and i wish every hotel could duplicate what this property does. This is my favorite Marriott in the world!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Bloomington IL
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I have stayed at the Marriott Indiapolis North multiple times over the past several years and I have always been favorably impressed. The hotel is fairly new and is a very well layed out faciltiy with nicely layed out rooms. The staff has always been friendly and professional. I had a couple special requests that were met with a can-do, anything-for-the-guest attitude. Rates have always been reasonable for a hotel of this calibre. Access is a little convoluted requiring you to pass through the Keystone at the Crossing mall and restaurant area. Another plus is the proximity to a number of good restaurants. The hotel could benefit from free internet. You might be able to draw from a nearby open wifi network.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank nrstycz
Chicago
Reviewed 13 May 2011

To begin, my family and I have stayed at Marriott properties all over the country and internationally. My extended family and I recently stayed at this property. Was expecting it to be nice from the pictures and the exterior. The lobby area and swimming pool was very nice. Unfortunately the rooms haven't been updated and the inside of them looks like a hotel from the late 80's. This was concerning as we are platinum elite and were provided a room on the "concierge floor", which was exactly the same as rooms on lower floors. Don't be fooled by them telling you they are suites. Its just a long room. Until 2am there were teenagers slamming doors and keeping people up. We called down to the desk twice and nothing was done.

In addition to the room issue, be aware that the very nice deck which overlooks the lake, is frequently closed off for parties and weddings. It was a beautiful weekend we were there, and we were not able to sit outside and have a drink as the entire lobby and the patio was closed off.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank bigsur221
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 11 May 2011

We stayed here one weekend night and this hotel met our needs for being a place to crash after a concert downtown. From the outside and the lobby area, the hotel is beautiful and in great shape. It also overlooks a man made lake, which is nice. The area the hotel is in is one of Indy's finest and is close to a lot of shopping and restaurants.

The rooms could use a little bit of updating but were spacious and clean. We were given a room at the end of the hallway (thanks Marriott!), so it was plenty quiet for us.

The location isn't great if you want to get downtown. It is a thirty minute drive because there is no direct freeway access to downtown from the Keystone area. We tried taking I-465 to I-65 and Keystone all the way to I-70 and both took about 30 minutes. The farther south you go on Keystone, the shakier the area gets.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple