“Wonderful location, clean, friendly!”

Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal
Ranked #39 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
“Wonderful location, clean, friendly!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

This hotel is right on the canal and is pet friendly. The rooms are very clean and has a lot to offer, like excellent hot complimentary breakfasts, a grill on the balcony for guest use, a game room and dinner and drinks some nights! Cheri and Brittany were wonderful and extremely helpful! We stayed for 3 nights with our dog and it was very quiet! Every nght we took a walk along the canal. The hotel is close to monumental circle, we walked there, and other memorials. We also walked down and rented a kyak and paddle boat on the canal!! The pool was a little on the small side, but it was very nice!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
I am absolutely elated to read the review of your stay. In just a few sentences, you mentioned many of the key factors that contribute to our mission to create "service so memorable, our guests tell stories about it." I will be happy to commend both Brittani and Cherie on their jobs done well done, and hope that we will see you back in Indianapolis soon! Please contact me directly for any needs that may arise.

Katherine.Boehner@WhiteLodging.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

My son and I stayed here for five nights, and we enjoyed our visit very much. The room was kind of small, and housekeeping did not always empty our trashcans, but the breakfast was excellent. Dinner was also provided on some evenings, and the food was good as well. The location next to the canal is great, as it is a little quieter than in the downtown area. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, providing us with maps and ideas as to where to have dinner. On the down side, the WiFi access in the room was really spotty (and slow), and it was possibly to hear noise above us and in the hall. Then again, I think we had a family of elephants staying above us, so I'm not sure anything would have muffled that noise. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Thank you so much for reviewing your stay with us here at the Residence Inn on the Canal. I'd first like to assure you that we have gone to great lengths to rectify any internet issues so your next stay will be much more pleasant in that aspect! It delights me to hear that your guest service experience was excellent, and I would love to personally make your upcoming reservations. Please contact me for any further discussions, and we look forward to seeing you again in Indianapolis!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

I stayed here for almost 6 months in 2011 while working in the Indianapolis area. If you stay here during convention season, you'll see all kinds of diversity. One week it was college fraternities and the next week it was girls dressed like zombies for the Gen Con event. There were several others I'm sure, but too many to list. Very interesting and personally, I welcome the change up from nothing but corporate travelers!

The location is great, it's right on the Canal! I had a canal view and it was pretty cool. Be aware that no matter what floor you are, on the Canal side, if there are people talking out on the first floor lobby balcony, you'll hear them. I was awakened one Sunday morning (only day I get to sleep in a bit) because some guy was just carrying on a conversation in a normal voice (I was on a higher floor). If you're hungry and wanna go out to eat, it's a walk, but a nice one over to all the restaurants downtown. I have to say, it's great to be able to go to Nicky Blaines (Martini Bar) and be able to walk "home" to the hotel, or from any drinking establishment on Meridian! And I kinda liked telling people who asked, that I was staying on the Canal. Just had a nice ring to it ;-)

The daytime staff is very friendly and professional. I never had an issue with my room there, but it was outdated for most of my stay. Most of my stay? Sounds odd right? Well they renovated it while I was there and they handled it great. They informed me way in advanced and gave me time to check out of my room and into another room. A few weeks later, I was checked back into a newly renovated room! This event is over with and won't affect anyone else's stay, but I can see why the weekend/ light traveler would complain about it. Oh well.

One issue I did have was with an evening staff member. It really doesn't matter I guess as night staff tend to have heavy turn over, but worth telling anyhow. This hotel locks the front doors at a certain hour at night (Which sadly are not sliding... Residence Inn never has sliding auto doors from what I can tell which is too bad because when I live someplace for 6 mo to a year, I have a lot of stuff with me, anyway...) you have to use your room card to gain entry. Anyway, there was a staff member there at night that was very hateful and was never at the desk. She was always walking from way down the hotel hallway. One night I asked her where she had been for 20 minutes and she got an attitude with me saying "Well part of my job is to give the next day checkouts their bill" (She slips them under their door). I asked if she had to do that at Midnight on a weekend when a lot of guests were coming in and out and many of them waited for her too, but got upset and left (I've noticed that many hotels do this when they have several staff on hand and around 3 to 4 am). Anyway, I think the hotel could change their policy, as one woman was in a panic as she somehow was locked out with her baby in the room, and there was no front desk staff to assist with a new key! I think that is what disturbed me the most. Other than that incident, had a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Stay on the canal side if you can! Beware that voices from the canal can travel. The other side give...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, 4 August 2012
Thank you so much for reviewing your stay. I couldn't agree more your comment, "And I kinda liked telling people who asked, that I was staying on the Canal. Just had a nice ring to it ;-)." Being the only hotel on the canal sure does have it perks! I completely understand some of your frustrations mentioned and invite you to contact me directly for any further discussions. Your feedback, especially as extended stay, is vital to us and I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Eugene, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

I had made a reservation and was told this was a two bedroom suit. However when arriving in my room I only found one bed. I asked where the other bed was and was told the other "bed" was the sofa bed..... I'm that's not a "bed"
I tried telling the staff that wasn't what I had originally been told and they wouldn't give a good explanation on why they are considering a sofa bed a bed since when you are told two beds you don't think "oh a sofa bed is a bed"...
So be very clear with them what they want or they will stick you in a room with a sofa bed which is so uncomfortable sleeping on the floor is better. And the sheets for the sofa bed look like they were bought at a salvation army and are itchy.
They do have a good breakfast buffet which actually tasts good. And they have a nice view if it's on the canal. And it's only a 10minure walk to city center.

• Stayed May 2012
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

Needing to use some free room certificates before they expired, I decided to take the family (wife, 4 & 2 y.o.'s) for two nights in Indianapolis. With the certificates, I had several Marriott properties to choose from and ended up selecting the Residence Inn for the family friendly features like a kitchenette and daily breakfast.
The hotel share's a parking lot with a Courtyard, which makes for an unusually simple downtown arrival and parking experience. Check in was a breeze, and they were able to upgrade us from a Studio to a 1-Bedroom, which made life with the little ones a lot easier. We were also pleasantly surprised to find out that they have receptions (light food, beer/wine) Mon-Thurs nights. Our room also came with a great view of the Central Canal that runs just west of downtown (front desk has food for the ducks), which was another nice surprise.
The hotel also does a very nice daily breakfast (eggs, sausage, hashbrowns, waffles, etc.). As a regular business traveler, it was A LOT better than what I'm used to at most hotels - even some that are considered "better". The kids also loved the indoor pool for morning dips before breakfast.
By far the best part of this stay was the staff. Every single employee we came across was friendly - another nice change from a lot of hotels I've stayed in. I received particularly great service from Brittani and Annette, both of whom went out of their way to make things special, especially for our children. Greatly appreciated.

Room Tip: First floor on the entrance side is 1 level up on the canal side, so go for that with a canal view a...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Otowners
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

This is my 4th stay at this hotel. Was here before in December during the remodeling - what a mess. It's all done now and new lobby area is very nice. The hotel itself shares a parking lot with the Courtyard. The canal along the back of the property is very cool, lots of joggers an occassional kayaker. Location is only about 2 to 3 blocks from downtown itself. The rooms are very similar to the other Residence Inn's I have stayed at. Full size fridege, coffee maker, etc. Free internet could use a speed boost. Tues, Weds & Thurs they have a free food (hot dogs, egg rolls, stuff from a can etc) and salad. Nice breakfast. Very friendly staff. When I have to stay for two or more days in Indy I choose this place. Comfortable, relaxed. Close to everything.

Room Tip: get a room that faces the canal
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PaulT60606
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

This hotel is your standard budget hotel, but the perk is the location. The property backs up to the Canal in Indianapolis. Put on your walking shoes and explore the museums, shops and restaurants along the canal. It is a safe, peaceful and interesting way to see the sights. My trip was for business, but it was a bonus to have the canal walk available to de-stress. It would be a great location to launch a family vacation. Free breakfast and simple dinner included in the price. Staff is nice and helpful, as everyone in Indiana seems to be.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the canal on an upper floor
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business