“Had a great stay.”

Ranked #37 of 182 Hotels in Indianapolis
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Had a great stay.”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Beautiful hotel. We had plenty of room for my husband and myself with my daughter and her husband and two little boys. The only drawn back was that there really wasn't any place to have dinner. There are two diners on the canal but not in the way of dinner. The room itself was comfortable, roomy and cleaning. We wished we were staying longer than one night. The girls at the front desk when we checked in (early I might add) were very helpful.

Room Tip: Get one on the canal if possible. Get view.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Thank you so much for coming to visit us and for taking the time to leave a review on TripAdvisor. Our property goal is always to be the cleanest and friendliest hotel in Indianapolis so I am absolutely thrilled to read that you noticed both of those aspects. In addition, I'll be glad to recognize all of the front desk staff as they're a truly phenomenal team. While we do not have a restaurant onsite, our gatehouse does serve complimentary breakfast 7 days a week as well as complimentary Social Hour Monday-Thursday which includes supper as well as beer, wine, and soft drinks. We are also only steps away from many restaurants downtown and on the canal!

Again, thank you so much for your review, and I hope to welcome you back to our hotel! Please contact me if I can assist you myself with reservations or future recommendations.

Katherine.Boehner@WhiteLodging.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Leland, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 June 2013

My husband is retired military & we are often able to get special military pricing. I reserved a studio room on the parking lot side because that's the only type of room available at military pricing. When we checked in, we were given a wonderful suite with a canal view! The staff were all very friendly & accommodating during our one-night stay. On Sunday morning the breakfast area was very busy indicating to us that the hotel was pretty full, which made the upgrade even more surprising! This hotel has a billiards room - something we've never seen in a hotel & a very nice fitness center. We don't use the pools, but it looked very nice. I would have rated this hotel as excellent except for two things: 1) the very noisy A/C unit in our room (also causing my rating of sleep quality to be lower), and 2) the small number of elevators in a 4 story building. We could only find one elevator off the lobby. We think there was another elevator at the end of the hall, but who would look there? All in all, tho, our stay was very nice.

1 Thank AuntyTay
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel- encouraging reviews like this are why we recently won the 2013 TripAdvisor Award of Excellence for consistently ranking within the top 10% of businesses worldwide!
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay on the canal. We are also big fans of the game room- including a pool table, poker table, and Ninetendo Wii game system. I do, however, apologize for any noise or inconvenience encountered during your stay. I hope you and your husband will come back to visit us soon, and have wonderful week!

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 9 June 2013

One of our favorite places to just hang is the canal walk in downtown Indianapolis. This was our 1st time staying at this hotel which sits right on the canal. Within easy walking distance to the circle and warehouse district that we usually visit. My wife was impressed by the comfort of the spacious room and the access to the canal was perfect.

Room Tip: We were on the Lower Level which is Canal Level. Next time, I'd like to try the 1st floor which...
1 Thank Scott H
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time in Indianapolis- it sounds like you love the canal as much as I do! We certainly are the only hotel directly on the water in Indianapolis, however we are only a short walk (or $5 cab ride!) to the heart of the hustle and bustle. We would love the opportunity to host you again, so please contact me directly if you would like reservations. I would be delighted to proactively block you onto our first floor myself!

Thank you for both staying with us and for taking the time to leave a review on TripAdvisor. I cannot emphasize enough how much I appreciate it.

Reviewed 9 June 2013 via mobile

We felt at home the moment we walked in. The staff was very friendly and willing to offer suggestions and directions for everything. Every staff member went out of their way to make our 22 month old smile. She loved walking through the lobby and getting all the attention. We had a beautiful canal view. The room was nice and very clean. The location is great! We walked downtown and to the zoo. We would definitely stay again!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Pdiddle12
I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to review your stay on TripAdvisor. Creating a 'home away from home' exemplifies our goal here at the Residence Inn, and I have no doubt that your 22 month old received a great deal of attention. Children absolutely make us melt! I sincerely hope that you'll return to visit again, and would welcome contact directly prior to arrival. In addition to personally booking your reservations, I would be happy to give you some of my favorite recommendations or make reservations around the city for your family!
Again, thank you, and have a wonderful week!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 June 2013

At the evening "Social Hour" where they offer something to eat as well as beer, wine and soft drinks none of which I want to partake in so I asked for water. "Oh, you need to get that at the front desk" and which you have to pay for. So let me get this straight, I can get sloppy drunk or drink all the pop I want (all for free) but if I choose to drink water I have to pay? Where is the logic here?

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bat_N_Princess
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
Thank you for writing a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. Our Social Hour is a popular gathering, typically Monday-Thursday at which we serve a light supper as well as complimentary beer, wine, and soft drinks. I apologize for any miscommunication regarding alternative beverages. Though bottled water is available in our market, there are also options including iced tap water and a Quench water purification system in the area. I am disappointed that this experience led to a two-star “Poor” review of our hotel as we genuinely pour our hearts souls into providing world-class service for our guests. Please contact me for further discussion, and I hope you will give us another opportunity to host you on your next trip to Indianapolis.

Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed 2 June 2013

The hotel is great! Within walking distance of many dining places. First class hotel but I have to give it a lower rating to the noise. We had to sign a piece of paper when checking in to the hotel we would not bring 65 of our friends into our hotel room and have a party. Evidently not everyone was aware of this policy.

We returned to the hotel about 10:30 at night, pretty quiet. Then about 1 am or so we were awaken by a lot of noise and people trying to get into the hotel and running up and down the hallway. This happened again at 2 am and then again at 4:30. I complained when checking out and the person at the front desk stated there were people staying there after their prom and they were kicked out. Why did they wait until 4:30? The police were present while we were eating breakfast, where were they during the night when this was happening?

A great hotel and location but they did to look at a policy change in renting hotel rooms to high school kids. It ruined our stay at the Residence Inn on the Canal.

Room Tip: They have rooms with a view of the canal!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
First of all, thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our location and hope that the service from our staff was excellent. I am, however, quite disappointed that your stay was ruined by noise. As we are a permanent home to the majority of our guests, we do enact the ‘no-party policy’ every weekend in order to proactively ensure a good night’s rest for everyone and to ensure that all expectations are on the same page. Unfortunately, some elements are inherently out of our control including strict adherence to our requests and “gifting” room keys after check-in. While I cannot promise that we can foresee all issues, I can promise that our staff diligently follows reactive procedures in order to minimize guest disturbance. I genuinely hope that you’ll come back to receive the type of stay you should have been able to expect, and please contact me directly for any further discussions. Again, thank you, and have a wonderful weekend!

Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I've stayed in this hotel twice now and each has been great! The location on the canal is perfect for my family. My 5 yr old loves feeding the ducks (with bread provided by the hotel!) and swimming in the pool! It's perfect for families traveling with small kids. Great proximity to the Children's Museum, ad downtown. Will always stay here when traveling to Indy for a quick get a way!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank msutweet
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
I am thrilled to read that we have become your home away from home in Indianapolis. We love to host families looking to enjoy all that the city has to offer- paddle boat rides, the Children's museum, bike paths, etc. We're even within walking distance to the zoo! Please contact me directly next time you visit as it would be my pleasure to book your reservations myself and set you up with some recommendations for your family if you would like them. We'll make sure to have the duck treats waiting!