“Great hotel, amazing staff”

Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal
Ranked #52 of 186 Hotels in Indianapolis
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Stayed here for one week for business travel. Nice evening social hour w/drinks and hors d'oeuvre, and the staff was simply outstanding. I've never had friendlier or more accommodating service anywhere. I've stayed and four and five star resorts and not had service THIS good. The breakfast selection was good in theory, but the quality could use some work. And a word to the kitchen staff - turkey Canadian bacon? Who are you kidding? That stuff was terrifying.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
ResidenceInnCanal, Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Thank you so much for reviewing your stay with us on TripAdvisor. We often hear that our staff easily rivals that of 5-star accommodations, and I can simply say that our associates genuinely enjoy going above and beyond for our guests. I apologize, however, for any disappointment faced by breakfast. Our hotel follows Marriott Standards to the letter, and we certainly try to serve a larger variety than required in order to best serve all guests. Please contact me directly for any further discussions, and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Indianapolis! Again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Recently decided to try a new city for a 3 day get away and chose Indianapolis. First a quick word about that, I WAS IMPRESSED. Have not been here since stationed at Ft Ben Harrison almost 40 years ago, and what an improvement!
Now as to the hotel, again, very impressed. I have checked into hotels in a lot of countires around the world, and this was one of the warmest most informing greetings ever. Victoria acted as she ahd all the time in the world for us, offered up a map of our location and major downtown attractions, gave us a card for the taxi company, and another with the hotel address for any cabs. Discussed the pros and cons of several restaurants, and even offered to make dinner reservations for us, which we took her up on for Saturday night.
Rooms clean and very comfortable, even great art work all around. Breakfast buffet pretty much standard but all good quality and well stocked.
Beautiful location right along the canal with a great staff. Would return in a heartbeat

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the canal side
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

I am beyond thrilled to read that you enjoyed your homecoming to Indianapolis. The city sure has changed in recent years and I am proud to say that its development is constantly in the city's best interest. I am also incredibly pleased to read that you were well accommodated at our front desk. We receive feedback on a daily basis regarding the time we spend with guests, and my question is always 'why not?' We certainly understanding being in a hurry, but if not, stay a while! We are always happy to act as a concierge around our city. Victoria will be especially happy to hear your kind words, and I agree that we are lucky to have her represent our hotel. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Indianapolis, and again, thank you for your review!

Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

Our first stay in Indy was nice. The evening and morning staff were pleasant and welcoming. The canal backs the hotel and the hotel is very close to the convention center and football stadium. Breakfast could've been better, the potatoes were a little over cooked but otherwise good. They do drain the hot tub and clean it on Mondays, so when we went down it wasn't very hot and was a foot low on water. The front desk girl explained to us that was what was going on. Otherwise we enjoyed our room and would recommend this hotel location to picky travelers.

• Stayed: August 2013

Firstly, thank you so much for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. I agree that our location and staff are absolutely top-notch. However, I apologize for any and all inconvenience experienced during your stay. It is our goal to prevent all issues and, if one must occur, to fix and stop the same issue from arising in the future. Due to your feedback, we are now more proactive in both deciding the timing on refilling the spa with fresh water and in notifying guests of this maintenance. I am glad to read that your first stay in Indy was nice, but please let me know when you return- I'd love to help the second, third, fourth, etc. be nothing short of spectacular!

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I booked a room at the Residence Inn on the Canal Indianapolis for parents. My Mother was having surgery at a nearby hospital. The hotel was very good but I am writing to commend the staff. In particular Cherie took very good care of my parents while they stayed preparing for surgery and afterwards. Cherie's welcome, help and caring made all the difference. I would recommend this Residence Inn location to anyone looking for a hotel near downtown Indianapolis.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. Our central location downtown means that we are very close to the hospitals and we are thus certainly experienced in welcoming guests who visit on both a short-term and extended-stay basis. Considering the circumstances, I am incredibly pleased that our staff was able to make an impact on your stay. I am especially pleased, but in no way surprised, that Cherie took care of your family. We are incredibly lucky to have her and I will undoubtedly pass on your comments. Please let us know if there is anything else with which we can help, and again, thank you for your review!

Reviewed 30 July 2013

All of the staff members were extremely friendly and willing to help and not just employees who go through the motions because they're supposed to. The location of the hotel is excellent, as it is right in the middle of downtown and beautifully situated on the canal, which makes for a very serene feeling and pretty view. Breakfast offers many good choices and we enjoyed ours outside overlooking the canal, which was really peaceful and enjoyable. Our room was large, quiet, clean, and comfortable. We really enjoyed our stay, and I will definitely go back to the Residence Inn next time I'm in Indy.

Room Tip: Rooms on the canal offer a great view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zepped8

I could not be happier to read that our staff was clearly not 'going through motions' but instead going out of their way to help accommodate your needs during your stay at our hotel. You are correct in that our location is beautiful, our breakfast is a lovely amenity, and our suites are spacious and clean, but the fact that our staff made a difference in your stay is what makes me to proud to represent this hotel. Thank you for your review, and I hope to welcome you back to Indianapolis soon!

Reviewed 30 July 2013

We spent three nights during the Brickyard 400 weekend. Both hotel staff and quality of rooms were excellent. Other than the taxi to/from airport and the Indy Raceway, everything else we did was in short walking distance and the hotel is in great proximity to downtown restaurants, shopping, and nightclubs. We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pernell P

The Brickyard 400 is, of course, one of the busiest weeks in Indianapolis and I am so happy to read that our hotel accomodated your needs! We are only a short distance to the Speedway while still providing the convenience of the hundreds of shops and restaurants that Downtown Indianapolis has to offer! I look forward to welcoming you back next year, and thank you so much for reviewing your stay!

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I almost hate to share my secrets of all of the ways the staff at the R.I. on the Canal accommodates us! I don't want it to be sold out all the time! However, 2,500 points, is 2,500 points! We travel to the RI Canal on the Canal in Indy several times a year for swim meets. Most of the meets we participate in are prelims and finals. Vicki and the staff have always bent over backwards to accommodate us. This past weekend 7/26 - 7/28 -2013, the staff made sure all of the swimmers staying the hotel had a hot breakfast by 6:00 a.m. every morning, as the swimmers had to be on deck by 6:45 a.m. Normally breakfast is not served until 7 a.m. THANK YOU! This past weekend was also the weekend of the Brickyard 500 Race in Indy, which normally draws quite a loud partying type of crowd. The hotel made everyone sign a contract of "non-partying" so that the hotel was quiet for the swimmers who had to be on deck Friday, Saturday & Sunday by 6:45 a.m. The hotel was so quiet. We were not waken one time during the night or in the afternoon when my son was sleeping between prelims and finals. And it has been like this each time we have stayed at this hotel over the past several years. There are other things that the hotel accommodated us with, but I'm keeping that to myself, because if the word gets out then everyone will expect it and I'm afraid that they won't be able to accommodate us in that department any more! Thank you Vicki and Staff! Vicki, we will miss you!

Room Tip: any room is fantstic
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

I couldn't be more thrilled to read that we are your home away from home in Indianapolis. You are 100% correct in that the 'bending over backwards' nature of our staff is due in no small part to the guidance of our former General Manager, Vicki Wicks. While we are incredibly proud of her promotion to opening the new SpringHill Suites in Bloomington, Indiana, we are also excited to learn from our new General Manager, Kirby Brown, who I promise will continue to exceed your expectations! Swim Championship weekends are always a busy time downtown, but I am so glad to hear that our efforts to accomodate your travels succeeded. Again, thank you so much for your review, and please let me know if I can help with any future needs!